Nita;11626285:
The** preternatural gifts **
“include three great privileges to which human beings have no title – infused knowledge, absence of concupiscence, and bodily immortality. Adam and Eve possessed these gifts before the Fall.” (from Fr. Hardon’s “Modern Catholic Dictionary”. As you can see, what Fr. Bozada is speaking about has nothing to do with visions of angels and demons. And the partial restoration of these gifts is conditional on obedience…
QUOTE]
Wait, if they already possessed bodily immortality, how would they have changed by eating from the tree of life (that God had to kick them out in order to prevent)?Hi Neo,
Somehow you deleted the /
in front of that last QUOTE]
and that’s why my post didn’t appear in a quote box separated from your reply.
As to your question.
It’s late here in the Midwest, and I am too tired to track down sources tonight so I’m just going to talk off the top of my head – ideas I recall reading. (There’s no official teaching about the Tree of Life.)
In my recollection there are a couple of theories:
- If they had been eating from the Tree of Life prior to the test, then the fruit would have served to nourish or enhance the immortal life they had been given. (In some way similar to our continuing to receive the Eucharist. When we receive Our Lord, we have “Life” itself within us. Yet we continue to return and receive Him again to nourish us.)
- Another opinion is that they had not yet consumed fruit from the Tree of Life. That they first had to pass the test. After obedience, eating of the fruit of the Tree of Life would have been connected to their being brought into the glorified state in heaven. (They were in paradise in the Garden, but they were not in heaven in glorified bodies.)
Tomorrow I’ll see if I can locate where I might have come across those possible understandings.
(Finally finished editing, so now I’m off to bed.

)