Why can't Priests Preach ... like the Protestant Pastors can ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brb3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ask him if he does pray at home on Sunday mornings?
I suspect that many a non-catholic falls into this trap as well. (I know I did) The idea that we don’t need that feeding on God’s word, in community; that we don’t need the discipline that goes along with getting out of bed and going to church as the first thing we do with our week and thus demonstrate to God that we Love Him first and foremost.
Missing Church is often the first step toward blurring sin, relaxing morals and losing faith.

Peace
James
As a minister I would often encounter the same. People would tell me they can pray at home or watch Charles Stanley on TV. Why get dressed and be around other people when I can do the same at home? To be honest, I gave them the usual pat answer, but I had to admit privately they had a point.
The Eucharist is the one worship command that DEMANDS the precense of at least one other human being. Even the elderly shut-in needs the priest to deliver the Eucharist to her.
 
So, the OP has a well-respected Bishop, who has lots of experience of Catholic preaching, say that many Catholic priests are not well-equipped in this area, and that many Protestant denominations do a better job. And he suggests that Catholic priests should be better formed in this area.

And the overwhelming response by posters is some version of “That is because they don’t have the Eucharist, so their good preaching of the Word is actually a sign of their inadequacy”.

Does anyone else see a problem with this attitude? This is the kind of deflection I’d expect from 10 year olds.

Also, preaching doesn’t always mean at the Mass.
 
Also, preaching doesn’t always mean at the Mass.
But the title of and the point of thread is why can’t Priests Preach like the Protestant Pastors.
Now, if she had asked why don’t priests preach against the evils of our age, abortion, homosexuality, ect, the response would be different.
In comparing what priests do to Protestant pastors, the inferance is already made that one is superior to the other, and it isn’t.
 
But the title of and the point of thread is why can’t Priests Preach like the Protestant Pastors.
Now, if she had asked why don’t priests preach against the evils of our age, abortion, homosexuality, ect, the response would be different.
In comparing what priests do to Protestant pastors, the inferance is already made that one is superior to the other, and it isn’t.
Two things.

I have no issue if you thing the preaching of Protestant ministers is no better than that of Catholic priests. My own experience with Catholic, Lutheran, and Anglicans has been that the homiletics have been of similar quality - a few quite good, a few quite bad, but most indifferent. (I’m not really sure that this is an acceptable state of affairs though.)I don’t have much experience with the other denominations.

However, many people on this thread don’t seem to be arguing that. They are saying that Protestants don’t have the Eucharist so have more emphasis on preaching, so they are really worse off, and it was implied that Catholic priests have no need to pursue better preaching. This line of argument seems to accept the premise that Protestant preaching is better overall. This is the argument I found childish.

As far as my comment that there are other venues for preaching than Mass. I was thinking primarily of formal preaching in liturgical services other than the Mass, or even at other kinds of meetings and so on where a priest might be called on to preach. In such cases, it could not be argued that the Eucharist was the main purpose.

This though leads to another question. Many Protestant denominations are very concerned not only with preaching to their own members, but with venues and opportunities for preaching to those who are not yet Christian. Personally I think many place to much emphasis on this kind of activity, but I think one could also say many Catholic priests do not place enough emphasis on it. Such people are unlikely to show up at Mass on a regular basis, and may not understand or benefit from the Eucharist. But how can they come to know Christ if no one preaches the message to them? And such preaching really should do credit to Christ, neither watering him down, or making him a bore or irrelevant. This work really demands good preaching skills.
 
This though leads to another question. Many Protestant denominations are very concerned not only with preaching to their own members, but with venues and opportunities for preaching to those who are not yet Christian. Personally I think many place to much emphasis on this kind of activity, but I think one could also say many Catholic priests do not place enough emphasis on it. Such people are unlikely to show up at Mass on a regular basis, and may not understand or benefit from the Eucharist. But how can they come to know Christ if no one preaches the message to them? And such preaching really should do credit to Christ, neither watering him down, or making him a bore or irrelevant. This work really demands good preaching skills.
Okay, THAT is a subject worth exploring. 👍
 
You make good points, but again … is Father Corapi WRONG in his judgment ?

After hearing Corapi or Sheen, I don’t find myself ‘focusing’ on them. They are always Lifting Up Christ and giving Christ the glory, as a true Pastor must.

I think that if the Protestant churches had a valid Eucharist, they would be less prone to focus on their pastors, less risk of putting the pastor on the throne. Nevertheless, was it not Paul who taught his Churches to IMITATE him, as he imitated Christ ?

Christ teaches in OT scriptures, that TRUE SHEPHERDS are valued, and when false shepherds take over, they will be exposed/deposed.
Maybe I’m just very lucky, but I haven’t had much experience with bad homilists. The pastor at my Parish now is excellent, so are all the Priests there. The Pastor at the parish where I “grew up” is also very good. 🤷

Not sure what Corapi wants, preaching in toungs? And I say this as someone who greatly admires the man.
 
Father Corapi makes the charge, in his EWTN program, that most Catholic Priests are poorly equipped, and sorely challenged to preach the Good News to their Flocks.

Father C says they need either get on with their PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY, or get out of the pulpit. One of the few good preachers he could name was the late Bishop Fulton Sheen. I recently heard the preaching of Sheen on EWTN, and agree he was a dynamo. He had mastered the dogmas and Church scriptures, and was riveting of listen to.

I travel alot, and have attended 20 plus Catholic Churches in last several years. Without exception, the preaching has been subpar and uninspirational. The average Evangelical Protestant preacher, with much less religious training, is much better in the pulpit.

With the superior Catholic training of our priests, why don’t our Universities do a better job of training our priests for their homiletic mission ? Who else, besides Corapi and Sheen, can hold their own with the LONG list of Protestant evangelists, and really preach to the Faithful at our CATHOLIC HOURS ?
Did Father Corapi make the statement in your OP? Or are you?
 
Does anyone have any experience hearing preaching from the Catholic orders dedicated to it? Is it better? Does the existence of such groups indicate that good preaching is important for Catholics?
 
And the overwhelming response by posters is some version of “That is because they don’t have the Eucharist, so their good preaching of the Word is actually a sign of their inadequacy”.

Does anyone else see a problem with this attitude? This is the kind of deflection I’d expect from 10 year olds.

.
Where do you see that?
 
I don’t think we can generalize on all protestant preachers. It depends on which denomination. Some such as Anglicans and Lutherans are very well educated. They are taught the Early Church Fathers and the history of the Church.

I have attended and watched many preachers from protestant backgrounds and I have noticed that many have the same way of preaching. They yell, stomp their feet, move around alot, wipe there foreheads and have the same exact way of speaking. I have to believe that this is the way they are taught to preach. They don’t take the full Gospel to preach from, only the parts of the Bible they want to use to get their own point across.

Many are not highly educated, as many just attend a Bible school and get ordained without a legitimate degree.

In my former church the pastors were highly educated and I will admit that sometimes when they preached it was above my understanding. I think sometimes when your an intellectual as these men were it is difficult to speak on the same level as some of the congregation can grasp.

My experience in the Catholilc Church is very good. Our priests speak on the Gospel of the day and relate it to how we are to live our lives as Christians.

Personally I don’t like services where the center of attention is on the preacher. Except for attending a more liturgical church that has been my experience. Ususally the end of the sermon is focused on an altar call. I can’t stand altar calls, if you don’t go up people look at you like you have a problem. I recall being coerced by elders to go up and accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior, although most of the congregation had done it many times before. It is all emotion. Maybe things have changed since I was young and attended these type of churches.

Hearing someone preach for 45 minutes is not worshiping God. Also as I recall in these services they sang a few songs, heard the preacher and said Alleluia and praise God a few times and that was considered worship. I have also seen dog and pony shows at a mega church and it was pretty sad. They had a celebrity on stage and she followed one of the guest speakers around like a puppy. I never got what it was all about, except that they brought in the celebrity to draw more people.

We must remember that everyone is given different gifts and that not every priest has been given the gift of preaching. Catholics go to church to worship Jesus in the Eurcharist not to worship the words of a person.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette
 
i wonder if this isn’t similar to the common complaint among converts to the catholic faith that church services are so cold. I’ve seen multiple caf threads saying that they miss the emotional connection with other parishioners that they found at their protestant church. Perhaps the desire for the preaching to be more emotionally engaging is similar?
one of my friends said that the best part of our service was when we gave each other the sign of peace
 
I have to post here. The emphasis at Mass is the Eucharist. This being the case, though, I can say that I have listened to some very great Catholic preachers at Mass. I also have heard some homilies that were poor. The OP asked a question in a very difficult sense. I do not agree that “protestant” pastors necessarily do a better job of delivering the homily. I do find that when I am prepared spirtiually, time for prayer and studying the Gospel ahead of time, the Priest becomes a better preacher. LOL

As to education. I am the son of a Baptist preacher. Master of Divinity, New Orleans Baptist Seminary. I have two brothers who are ordained Baptist preachers. Both of them have Masters from New Orleans Baptist Seminary, one in Divinity the other in Ministry.

I am who I am today because of the love for the Lord that my parents had and showed to everyone who knew them. My dad was a great preacher, but alas, he didn’t have all the truth.

By the way, it is my understanding that Dr Graham is a Presbyterian.

In Christ,

Stan
 
Did Father Corapi make the statement in your OP? Or are you?
Would I put words in his mouth ? Not a chance. He said as much [and moreso] … in a EWTN program just last week

Was it a recorded one from way back, or a recent one … that I can’t say. But, it was directed to the priests … a full hour directed to the clergy.
 
By the way, it is my understanding that Dr Graham is a Presbyterian.
He started out as Presby. He seems to have become Non-Denom over time … so he can preach to all of faith. I know the Southern Baptists accept him as their own. But, then many others probably do too.

Nope … looked it up. He is a Southern Baptist currently.
 
Would I put words in his mouth ? Not a chance. He said as much [and moreso] … in a EWTN program just last week

Was it a recorded one from way back, or a recent one … that I can’t say. But, it was directed to the priests … a full hour directed to the clergy.
I believe I just saw that same lecture just yesterday on EWTN.
He talked extensively on what is needed in order to be a good “preacher”.

As to when it was recorded, the only reference he gave was that we were approaching, “another critical presidential election”. Which one He did not say but he linked in strongly to the Abortion issue. So it may well have been the last election.

Peace
James
 
A question for HereticalTheist,

What is a “soteriological universalist”?
 
😃 Hi everybody,

Why can’t Priest preach … like the Prostestant pastors? Because the Roman Catholics have the complete truth and the “separated brethren” don’t. Each group has an aspect of Christianity that they highlight and excel at, preaching may be the prostestant’s forte while theology is the RC’s. I wonder which group practices true Christian living???

Enjoy you day in the Lord.
 
Would I put words in his mouth ? Not a chance. He said as much [and moreso] … in a EWTN program just last week

Was it a recorded one from way back, or a recent one … that I can’t say. But, it was directed to the priests … a full hour directed to the clergy.
Okay, so the title “Why can’t Priests Preach … like the Protestant Pastors can” are your words not his.
Why do you feel Protestant preachers are superior to Catholic priests, as the title implies?
 
Okay, so the title “Why can’t Priests Preach … like the Protestant Pastors can” are your words not his.
Why do you feel Protestant preachers are superior to Catholic priests, as the title implies?
IMO, they get more training @ colleges in homiletics. Also, probably those attracted to the ministry are those who are drawn/inspired by great Protestant preaching. They grew up on it !!! Finally, because they in general lack a valid Eucharist … they of necessity must emphasize what they can offer to the flock.

Also, Protestants are not so prone to READING their liturgy. They are more extemporaneous with their sermons … more natural, perhaps allowing themselves to be more led by the H.S. The are more like Amos, from the OT [common men with heart and passion]. Men who can be used of God.

I can’t understand why so many Catholic priest don’t even have the liturgy memorized. You will often see them reading the liturgy … while the flock professes it by memory. I even see the priest READING the Nicene Creed, and the Liturgy of the Eucharist. One the otherhand, the Protestant pastors know all the key scriptures they use by heart … not needing to read the text.

IMO, the priests are often being lazy in their liturgical duties with the spoken word. Find a Protestant pastor doing the same … and the flock will send him packing. The Catholic Bishops need to get their ships in shape … in regards to Preaching at Mass. We are only as strong as our weakest link. When the priests are sloppy and unprepared with the word … the flock will also pick up their bad habits. Find a great priest, and the flock will be extrodinary. Find a poor priest, and the flock will be ho-hum. We must remember the Churches in Revelation that John describes … which one has ours become ?

This is what so disturbs Father Corapi. Thank God we have a few like him that will speak to the flock what is needed. HE IS NOT INTIMIDATED BY WHAT OTHERS THINK. HE CAN ALWAYS BE COUNTED ON TO SPEAK LIKE AN ATHANASIUS [or OT Amos].
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top