Why do most protestants reject the deuterocanonical books?

• Thread starter Thread starter Phill
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for the vast majority of my life. When I finally started to look into it, I became Catholic…

Okay, with all respect… please educate me on how Jesus and/or the Apostles taught the concept of purgatory. … And how this view became 1st. Century doctrine.
Well, it was actually part of Jewish belief, and it’s principles were in both the Old and New Testament Canons, recorded in places such as 2Samuel, the letter to the Hebrews, Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians and in Revelation, for example.
But first you need to actually know what the Church actually means by “Purgatory”, and that would derail the thread. So, how about you do the honorable thing and start looking at what the Church actually means by “Purgartory”, so that you don’t intentionally misrepresent the Church.
It’s extremely easy to find this (and then you can start your own thread about it, so you don’t derail this one, and I will happily chime with the relevant passages from Scripture.)
As a favor to you: CCC 1030-1032.

Okay BartholomewB, I have miss spoken. Between the Christ and His Apostles, my point stands. Between this inner Church-circle of N.T. founders, none of them regarded the Apocryphal additions as authoritative, and none of them ever quoted them. This is my point.

The Hebrew bible was completed 400 years before Christ came, yielding 39 books. There are 260 direct quotations and 370 allusions to passages in the Old Testament, yet among all of those there is not a single reference either by Christ or any of the apostles to the Apocryphal writings. Writings they sure knew existed.

History tells us the 2nd. Century Septuagint translators were divided over how many books to add. Jews in Christ day sided with the Hebrew text as authoritative. This is why Christ never quoted the Septuagint even though it was the trending volume of His day.

Firstly, the 2nd. Samuel narrative as well as the book of Hebrews, 1st. Corinthians and Revelation are news to me. I’d love to hear what exactly you are quoting to show a purgatory doctrine.

As far as what it all means, well… I was raised Catholic and have a humble opinion based on what I was taught at Holy Rosary Catholic Church. All who die at peace with the Church, but who are not perfect must undergo penal and purifying suffering in an intermediate realm known as purgatory. Only those believers who have attained a state of Christian perfection go immediately to heaven. All unbaptized adults and those who after baptism have committed mortal sin go immediately to hell.

The great mass of partially sanctified Christians dying in fellowship with the Church, but who nevertheless are encumbered with some degree of sin, go to purgatory where, for a longer or shorter time, they suffer until all sin is purged away, after which they are translated to heaven.

Let me know if I’ve stated anything wrong. But I need to check out for tonight. I get up at 5 a.m.
Blessings.

Phill, you point out the origin perhaps,
but they are not essential as are the NT books

The Hebrew bible was completed 400 years before Christ came, yielding 39 books.
Yeah but the pharisees accepted the Pentateuch, the Neviʾim, and the Ketuvim, as well as the deuterocanonical books. Where as the sadducees only accepted Pentateuch. Then other smaller sects believed things in between. It wasn’t until much later in the 2nd or 3rd century that the Hebrew bible had an accepted canon.

Perhaps, but assuming they were accepted as scripture, we must remember 2 Timothy “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” even if we’re aren’t bound by the old Testament

It wasn’t until much later in the 2nd or 3rd century that the Hebrew bible had an accepted canon.
Do you have a source for that information? As I said earlier, I always read that the Jewish canon was already settled by a date toward the end of the first century, and never changed after that. But it’s a subject I never had any reason to ask questions about.

Go search “Deuterocanonical references in the New Testament” please. It is an interesting study.

Did you check out that paper i referred you to? That has a lot more information than i do.

I am by no means a scholar on acient Judaism but by what i know the popular position is that the Torah was canonized circa 400 BC, the Prophets circa 200 BC, and the Writings circa AD 100, however there’s a debate because we don’t have any real sources stating when a full completed canon was closed. So most scholars state between 200 BC to 200 AD but the reason for the 200 AD time was that’s when the Mishnah was attributed to. I really don’t have 1 source, that’s just I’ve pieced together, but i got a lot of information from Britannica.

Last edited:
Is there a book by luther that quotes his dislike of maccabees?

For those who like to delve into the Jewish position on various topics, the old Jewish Encyclopedia can be an interesting (or rather tedious, depending on taste) read, here are the articles on Canon and Apocrypha for your delectation and delight. 😀

Yeah but the pharisees accepted the Pentateuch, the Neviʾim, and the Ketuvim, as well as the deuterocanonical books. Where as the sadducees only accepted Pentateuch. Then other smaller sects believed things in between. It wasn’t until much later in the 2nd or 3rd century that the Hebrew bible had an accepted canon.
Phill … I think you’ve missed the glairing point. Jesus had to have been fully aware of all the various add-ons from the 2nd. Century BC. Between Christ and His Apostles, it was clear which books were considered the word of God. That is the point. Neither Jesus nor His Apostles and gospel writers ever quoted from any of the deuterocanonical books for any reasons including doctrine. This should be alarming news, but I know that it won’t be on this site.

Last edited:
There are several OT books that Jesus never cited, for example Joshua, Judges, Ruth, Ezra, Nehemiah, Song of Songs, among others. As an unbiased student of Christianity, what do you deduce from that?
You are avoiding my premise. Jesus never recognized those books. Who is Jesus? He is the WORD of God come into flesh. He is the author of all O.T. writings. The Apostles and other New Testament writers DID recognize the books you’ve listed. Remember Paul’s teaching, the Church is build upon “the apostles, prophets and Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone.” Eph. 2:20. The fact that the Deuterocanonical books were discarded by the founders of Christianity, should be shocking, … but on this site, it’s not.

My apology BartholomewB.

Since Jesus discarded these books as the word of God, why would the CC consider them?

Where does Jesus say that he discarded these books as the word of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back