Why do most protestants reject the deuterocanonical books?

• Thread starter Thread starter Phill
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that most Protestant reject the DC because they are considered Catholic books and support Catholic doctrines. When I was a Protestant, anything Catholic turned me away because of an anti-Catholicism attitude instilled in me as I was young. But once one looks into the DC and why its in the Catholic Bible, they can see the good reasons and some will even either agree they are inspired, or they will at least view them as good for instruction and history between the end of Malachi and Incarnation of Jesus. I personally, after my study of the DC, came to view them as inspired and was one of the reasons why I began my conversion into Catholicism. All the arguments that Protestants make, like Jesus didn’t quote them, or the Jews have a different canon, are fallacious arguments to me and most Catholics.

First, we can and do suffer punishment for sins even when we are forgiven. They are called temporal punishment not eternal punishment
Right here on this point is a fundamental difference. As evangelicals we believe that the total penalty of sin was forever eradicated when Christ died on the cross. Jesus said it this way, "… he who hears MY word and believes in Him who sent ME has everlasting life and shall not come into JUDGMENT, but HAS PASSED from death to life. John 5:24.

There is no judgment over sin because judgment was placed on Christ alone. We believe His sacrifice was totally sufficient to remove all the stain of eternal penalty for sin. We have passed from death to life because we believe in Jesus.

Temporal punishment or condemnation is temporal until we leave these bodies. The idea that one takes a “stop-off” in spirit at a designated place to perfect, is a concept found only outside of the Apostolic circle. Paul said that to be absent of the body is to be present with the Lord. He failed to mention any stop-off. Jesus, when talking about eternal life, never even hinted about purgatory. That should matter.
No… temporal suffering is only in the context of these mortal flesh and blood bodies.
But the idea that one must suffer in order for the gavel to slam and a pronouncement of “innocent” or perfection in order to enter eternal life, is again, a concept found nowhere within Apostolic thought.

Last edited:
Paul is giving the idea that even though we may be saved, we can still suffer loss or punishment for our works after we die. And just because Paul is speaking as a builder and a foundation in a metaphor to understand the spiritual truth doesn’t negate what he is saying as if it isn’t real.
The word “saved” is NOT in the context of eternity. Why? Because Paul was speaking to the Church who already possessed eternal life based on John 5:24. The passage is a reckoning of one’s works, good or bad. There is no mention of one’s sins in this judgment. That should matter. It isn’t that literal life will burn one’s literal gold, silver … etc. It is a figure of speech pointing to a wonderful truth about how God will evaluate the “believer’s” life. Since eternal salvation is a free gift from God APART from works, we cannot assume eternity’s heaven is in view here.

Yes he was in his mortal body, yet the point made stands. David was forgiven his sins, but he was punished. That was the point of bringing up Samuel.
And I get the difference. But the issue is, Jesus died for our eternal punishment. He never died for temporal punishment. Hence, why if I speed do I get a ticket? If Jesus died for all punishments temporal, then I shouldn’t get a ticket, right? But that’s not what he died for. He died for our eternal punishment of hell. Therefore, we still suffer temporal punishments, and not just in our mortal bodies. If we die, and still have sins we held onto that weren’t mortal, or sins deserving of hell as the Apostle John speaks of, then we will suffer a punishment, or a loss as Paul says when our works are exposed and we go through fire. We are still saved but we suffer loss. Then, when one combines the clear explanation in Maccabees of atonement for the dead, then we clearly see that Purgation of sins is true. I think that it just is a misunderstanding of what Christ actually died for

. The passage is a reckoning of one’s works, good or bad.
You just contradicted yourself. Bad works are sins… therefore if one has bad works, then that one will be saved as through fire and suffers loss. And when you say that “saved is not in the context of eternity” you are missing the point of Paul speaking of building on the foundation that is Christ. Christ is eternal, therefore the salvation that comes from building on the foundation of Christ is eternal.

Are you clean and pure?
In one sense the answer is YES! Totally pure and clean. The righteousness I possess was imputed to me as a gift. I am hidden with Christ in God. In that sense I am totally clean. Yet I live in a sinful body, to which I will give an account to Christ which will effect what I will earn through my works.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not impute sin."

Last edited:
The discussion of Imputation is a whole different topic. Scripture doesn’t teach Imputed righteousness but Infused Righteousness. But we can debate that another time…
My question still stands. Are you pure and righteous? When you die, will you be sinless or sinful? The answer is you will be sinful and impure, therefore you need to be purified of that sin in your transition from this life to Heaven.

Jesus died for our eternal punishment. He never died for temporal punishment. Hence, why if I speed do I get a ticket?
Jesus did not die for punishment. He died for our sins. The end result was that HE was punished, He was punished once for all time. Again, you have not addressed the Apostolic answer that says, " to be absent of the body is to be present with the Lord." There is no mention of purgatory in any of the New Testament writers. What is your response to what seems to be a huge blunder of theology?

Another way to think about it is, Have you repented of all of your sins? Are there any sins that you haven’t repented of? There probably are. If there are, what does God do? Does He just forgive the unrepented sins? If your answer is yes, then how come He doesn’t just forgive all unrepented sins? If your answer is no, He doesn’t just forgive unrepented sins, then you must admit that there is some form of punishment/loss for those unrepented sins. That is what Purgatory or Purgation is.

I don’t know, ask the man on the cross who expressed faith in Christ. I don’t remember Jesus making him go over a list of his un-repented sins. I don’t remember Jesus even calling him to repent. He only said, "This day you will be with ME in paradise.

Why did He die for sins? To take away our eternal punishment…and bring us to God

to impute from Rom. 4:24 is an accounting term to reckon or account something. To count or take an inventory; “But also for us. It will be credited (reckoned) to us who believe in HIM who raised Jesus our Lord from the death.” James used the same word to bring up how Abraham was justified in James 2:23.

The Catholic Church teaches baptismal regeneration. Did you suffer punishment when you were baptized? God can do the same thing at death. I think you are confusing punishment with disciple. God disciplines us in this life. After death we cannot change our ways so discipline is no longer required. If God punishes after death it is for the sake of punishment alone. It makes a lie of Him not remembering our sins.

My question still stands. Are you pure and righteous? When you die, will you be sinless or sinful? The answer is you will be sinful and impure, therefore you need to be purified of that sin in your transition from this life to Heaven.
This is flawed theology my friend. Justification is a STANDING in Christ. It is not one’s STATE of being. It is a position in Christ received by faith. Remember Pauls’ words, “We are seated with Christ in heavenly places.” This speaks of one’s Standing. It is a guiltless standing.
With that said, one’s state of being is judged individually in regards to one’s level of sanctification. Some are more sanctified than others. Even the Apostle Paul makes a distinction between a “believer” in Christ and a SAINT in Christ.

Look on Catholic Answers for the answer for the man on the cross. But using one isolated case doesn’t prove your point. The folks that talk about this at Catholic Answers explain it much better than me and more convincing so I’ll let you look into that.

While I’m doing that: consider this. The evangelistic gospel is not Matthew, or Mark and Luke but John. John’s gospel has more specific calls to eternal life than the other three combined. Actually there is no narrative in the others dealing with how one receives eternal life, just John’s gospel.
See if you can find John’s call to repent as a means to receiving eternal life. It’s not that john didn’t believe in repenting. But only that repentance was not a condition to the free gift of eternal life Christ offered. The thief on the cross only asked to be remembered, and that was enough for Jesus out of his pure holiness and great love. This day you will be with me…

First, Justification is for eternal punishment. Again you are conflating eternal punishment and temporal punishment. If since we are justified In your sense, then are we no longer accountable for sins that require temporal punishment? So my example of speeding and getting a ticket still stands unanswered. I would say your theology is flawed. And now you talking about judgement on ones level of sanctification actually goes to prove my point. What happens to a saint and just a believer? What is the difference they get after they die?

40.png
SeekerOfTruth7:
This is flawed theology my friend. Justification is a STANDING in Christ. It is not one’s STATE of being. It is a position in Christ received by faith. Remember Pauls’ words, “We are seated with Christ in heavenly places.” This speaks of one’s Standing. It is a guiltless standing.
With that said, one’s state of being is judged individually in regards to one’s level of sanctification. Some are more sanctified than others. Even the Apostle Paul makes a distinction between a “believer” in Christ and a SAINT in Christ.
Beautiful response tg, Justified…"just-as-if-I’d-never sinned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back