Why do most protestants reject the deuterocanonical books?

• Thread starter Thread starter Phill
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I understand your point. No. he did not offer specific information about these books. But between Himself and the Apostles, they treated the 39 books in Hebrew as the word of God and quoted only from them. They never acknowledged or referenced the add-on books in Greek or taught out of them in doctrine. Why would the CC do so?

“so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, who you murdered…”

Matt 22:35

Were there any other righteous murdered after Zechariah in deutero books that Jesus fails to mention?

I was once told by the minister of the Fundamentalist church where my family used to attend years ago that they were uninspired, but not to be outright rejected because they still had historical significance.

But between Himself and the Apostles, they treated the 39 books in Hebrew as the word of God and quoted only from them.
They quoted from some of those books, but not from all of them. Their silence about Judith, Wisdom, and Sirach is in no way different from their silence about Joshua, Judges, and Ruth. Silence is silence.

This is not a convincing point, especially because of the kind of weighty doctrine the CC has developed from these books. There are certainly allusions to the remaining books you listed in almost every verse of New Testament writings. But the plain fact is: The Hebrew bible was a completed work long before Christ came.

It has 39 books all considered to be the word of God. Luther was right to return to them. Only centuries later, because of the trending language of Greek, did so called theologians come in and add books. And many copies did not agree with each other suggesting there was no general agreement among the translators as to which books were authoritative. This was a blunder!

Last edited:
This is something I always wondered about growing up in the Protestant tradition. Why certain books were authoritative to some groups, while others aren’t. I mostly read the Protestant canon now because that’s what I’m familiar with. But I’ve opened myself to reading all the books that are out there. I figure, as long as it doesn’t conflict with the message of salvation through Christ, what’s the harm?

Neither Jesus nor His Apostles and gospel writers ever quoted from any of the deuterocanonical books for any reasons including doctrine.
Then are you suggesting we throw out every Old Testament book that Jesus and his apostles never referenced?

Not only that but Paul quoted Greek poets. Should those works be in the Canon? They shouldn’t be anymore than the Deuterocanonical should not be because they weren’t quoted. I’m not even sure about the part about no Deuterocanonical books being quoted. There was a website that listed if not quotes then at least references to those books by Jesus or New Testament authors. I’ll try to find it or maybe someone else knows of it.

And many copies did not agree with each other suggesting there was no general agreement among the translators as to which books were authoritative. This was a blunder!
Well a blunder only if the Septuagint collection of books was to be only inspired books.

Then are you suggesting we throw out every Old Testament book that Jesus and his apostles never referenced?
True, silence proves nothing. However , when definite proof is lacking, you are left with circumstantial evidence to rationally bare (and bear) with.

No, but I am saying lets go back to the volume of 39 books Jesus recognized as the word of God. Let’s not add new books to something already completed 400 years earlier. The doctrine of purgatory is an example of what flies right in the face of New Testament thought on the subject of afterlife, but totally contradicts it. Why wasn’t purgatory a huge red flag by Catholic leaders in its time?.. …Things like this can only support the premise that says we have a need to return to the 39 original books Jesus used. Luther was right on this one.

Is there a book by luther that quotes his dislike of maccabees?
First, Luther held opinions based on what he knew about them. He held First Maccabees in very high regard. He praised it.
This from his preface:
This is another book not to be found in the Hebrew Bible. Yet its words and speech adhere to the same style as the other books of sacred Scripture. This book would not have been unworthy of a place among them, because it is very necessary and helpful for an understanding of chapter 11 of the prophet Daniel."
2 Macc is different. Luther says, in part:
It appears, however, that the book has no single author, but was pieced together out of many books. It also presents a knotty problem in chapter 14[:41–46] where Razis commits suicide, something which also troubles St. Augustine and the ancient fathers. Such an example is good for nothing and should not be praised, even though it may be tolerated and perhaps explained. So also in chapter 1 this book describes the death of Antiochus quite differently than does First Maccabees [6:1–16].
To sum up: just as it is proper for the first book to be included among the sacred Scriptures, so it is proper that this second book should be thrown out, even though it contains some good things. However the whole thing is left and referred to the pious reader to judge and to decide.

No, but I am saying lets go back to the volume of 39 books Jesus recognized as the word of God.
Where did Jesus state which book He recognized as Scripture?
Let’s not add new books to something already completed 400 years earlier.
Completed according to whom, the Jews that rejected Christ? Those who accepted Christ had a somewhat larger OT Canon (the Septuagint).
The doctrine of purgatory is an example of what flies right in the face of New Testament thought on the subject of afterlife, but totally contradicts it.
Actuallty it contradicts nothing in the NT, and fits perfectly with what the Jews believed and what the Christians (Paul, for example) taught, in both OT and NT: that is 1) that a man can be punished for sin after he is forgiven (2Sam 12:13-14); that there is a place or process by which the spirits of just men are made perfect (Heb 12:22-23); that there is a place where a saved man, after he has died, can suffer loss as through fire (1Cor 3:13-15); and that nothing unclean shall enter Heaven (Rev 21:27). Straight from the Scriptures we see the principles of the doctrine on “purgatory” (or whatever you may want to call it).
Why wasn’t purgatory a huge red flag by Catholic leaders in its time?
Probably because the only thing novel was the fact that someone bothered to give a name (“purgatory”) to something that was already known to be believed and accepted by the ancient Jews up through Christianity before the Canon was decided, and onward up until the “Reformation”, when the first people actually began to reject it.

Many thanks! Where can i find the source of these quotes from him ? I did like to study his work more.

Where did Jesus state which book He recognized as Scripture?
He didn’t state it… He acted on it. You can always tell what someone believes by what they do, more than what they say.

Completed according to whom, the Jews that rejected Christ? Those who accepted Christ had a somewhat larger OT Canon (the Septuagint).
Actually the Jews were divided in Christ day. Some sided with the 400 year old Hebrew bible, while others took the more trendy, Greek bible with added commentary.

Actually it contradicts nothing in the NT, and fits perfectly with what the Jews believed and what the Christians (Paul, for example) taught, in both OT and NT: that is 1) that a man can be punished for sin after he is forgiven (2Sam 12:13-14); that there is a place or process by which the spirits of just men are made perfect (Heb 12:22-23); that there is a place where a saved man, after he has died , can suffer loss as through fire (1Cor 3:13-15); and that nothing unclean shall enter Heaven (Rev 21:27). Straight from the Scriptures we see the principles of the doctrine on “purgatory” (or whatever you may want to call it).
Okay… well, firstly the 1st. Samuel 12 passage is taken out of it’s context. Purgatory deals with eternity. 1st. Samuel doesn’t at all. I agree to a sowing and reaping process understood here in this temporal world, but there is no doctrine addressing eternity’s issues in 1s. Sam.

Secondly is the Hebrew 12 passage which is in a allegory form about our spiritual Mt. Zion. The reference is clarified in verse 28 to be the kingdom of God that cannot be shaken. Sanctified=perfect believers will rule this kingdom on that great day.

Thirdly the 1st. Cor. 3 passage is a reference to the judgment seat of Christ where all believers will stand and give an account for their works to God. This judgment is not a judgment over sin but of works. The sin judgment has passed, see John 5:24. It is our works that will come under the metaphorical fires of testing to reveal the quality of our work. A reward, or relinquishment of reward, will be offered at that time. Verse 12 shows, again in a metaphor context, 6 qualities of works represented by what is listed in that verse. Gold, Silver, precious stones, wood, hey, straw. All to be tested by fire.

Your reference to Rev. 21:27 is all true. "nothing unclean will ever enter it… but only those who are written in the Lambs book of life slain from the foundation of the world. Rev. 13:8. If you have received Jesus Christ as savior, Christ wrote your name in His book before the world began.

But in none of these passages you offer, do we even show a hint of the concept of purgatory. You would think that such an important fate as purgatory, there would be very detailed and repetitive information about it. Nope. not at all my friend.

Last edited:
I think your misunderstanding the point @ahs was making. The understanding of purgatory is a combination of multiple teachings just the Trinity. First, we can and do suffer punishment for sins even when we are forgiven. They are called temporal punishment not eternal punishment. Purgatory is temporal. And 2 Samuel is a great passage for this showing that King David suffered punishment even though he was forgiven. The second point is that we are made perfect as Hebrews shows. Do you disagree that we are made perfect? Hebrews shows that are made perfect. Third, I preface this that the term “place” isn’t the best explanation of purgatory. Most scholars would refer to purgatory as a state of existence. But nonetheless, 1 Corinthians shows that our works will be examined, and if they don’t pass the test of fire, they will be burned up, and we will suffer loss, yet we will be saved. Paul is giving the idea that even though we may be saved, we can still suffer loss or punishment for our works after we die. And just because Paul is speaking as a builder and a foundation in a metaphor to understand the spiritual truth doesn’t negate what he is saying as if it isn’t real. And fourth, Revelation shows that we must be clean and pure to enter heaven. Are you clean and pure? If not, when do you become clean and pure? The Church teaches either in this life, which would make you a saint, or in the process of purgation. Once one combines all the points, first of temporal punishment after forgiveness, second, our spirits made perfect which means a process, third after death we can suffer loss and be burned yet still saved, and finally one must be pure to enter heaven therefore we have to be made pure and if we aren’t pure when we die, God will purify us before we reach heaven. All of this is the doctrine of the purgation of the soul. pretty easy to get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back