C
ClamDigger
Guest
That is so strange to me… I’ve honestly never experienced that at Mass! The closest thing I can think of is at the earliest daily Mass at my parish, there is a group of eight or so older ladies (and one man) who pray aloud from a prayer book together.What she’s observed is par for the course in my own parish and in most parishes I’ve attended over the years. Just this Saturday, two women were engaged in great conversation, one over her shoulder to the other, both after the Sign of Peace and coming back from Communion. The only ‘quiet prayers’ were the old ladies and gentlemen in their 70s and 80s.
I didn’t attack her. I was merely stating my own opionion and my own observances.It’s strange that people are attacking what the OP had to say.
Everyone at my parish does these things during the Mass?What she saw at that Protestant Church is what we, as Catholics, are called to do:
- Full, conscious, active (and yes I know that doesn’t mean we have to actually be physically DOING something) participation – they sang where they were supposed to, and responded where they were supposed to, just as we are called to do at Mass. While they may not have what we do at their service, they are engaged in FCAP.
It has to me in the parishes I’ve attended in the last twenty years…
- They kept silence before the service as we are called to do before Mass (GIRM 45: Even before the celebration itself, it is commendable that silence to be observed in the church, in the sacristy, in the vesting room, and in adjacent areas, so that all may dispose themselves to carry out the sacred action in a devout and fitting manner.) Certainly don’t see that one observed in the parishes I’ve attended in the last 10 years.
Well, honestly:
- They dressed appropriately to meet their Lord. They may not have him present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity, but he’s in their midst as he promised and they care about that. We say ‘as long as they’re at Mass who cares how they dress’.
“And for raiment why are you solicitous? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they labour not, neither do they spin.”
So long as it’s not flashy or immodest, what does it really matter?
It is at mine and has been at the other parish I attended about five or so years ago?
- They obviously have outreach, since they go get those who would otherwise be unable to attend the service – if that’s done at all in most of our parishes, it’s done by one parishioner for the other, not as an organized thing by the parish.
As I said, my parish does offer many gathering times both after Sunday Mass and throughout the week, as did the other parish I went to.
- They act as a family – I don’t see that in most parishes I attend but that can be as someone said, many Masses vs one Sunday service. We tend not to know our fellow parishioners unless we attend the same Sunday Mass over and over. Heck, I’ve been attending the Saturday Mass for 13 years in my parish and worked as the secretary and there are many names that are only ‘church envelopes’ to me, I have no idea who the people are and we are only a small parish of about 1500. Church functions attract the same 30-40 people, those 15-20 who are involved in just about everything and their spouses.
I didn’t criticize any of the things you mentioned. I merely stated that I, personally, would not be comfortable in a worship environment where the piano is played, where the organization owns a radio station and people are listening to the service on portable radios inside of the church, and where there are large screen televisions in the lobby.I don’t see how any of that is ‘externals only’ or meaningless. It’s what we are called to by the Bible and by our Baptism.