As I sat in the large, rather formal church today, waiting for ashes after the Mass had concluded, thinking about the lovely 4 part Gregorian chant from the choir that I had just heard, I remembered this thread. And I thought of a sort of rough comparison. Maybe you will get a smile from it.
Imagine that I am a married man, but I am at a party without my wife. Maybe it’s a work function, or a client gathering when I am out of town. Look, there is a beautiful girl just over there, to my right. She has lovely long blonde hair, long legs, and a very flattering, lovely dress. She smiles, and her teeth are white and straight. Her laugh! How musical it is! Her eyes are twinkling. Her jewelry is sparkling. Everything she does is perfect, she’s the whole package that any man would want. I am tempted to go over and start talking to her, to join in the laughter of the people around her. Everyone is attracted to her, she is holding court with most of the people at the party.
I think of my wife, at home with the children. She has not kept herself as thin as she used to be, and her clothing is not so current, not so flattering. In fact she usually has spit-up on her shirt, from the baby - he’s got a sort of sensitive stomach. When she laughs it’s more of a guffaw, but the kids love to tell her jokes to hear the laugh. And she laughs a lot. Our home is a little less clean than it was before the baby came, but with 5 kids who can ever catch up? We love our children so much. I wonder if that beautiful girl would even want to have kids, in case she lost her figure or had to stay up all night with a sick child? I think of my wife and how giving she is, how she sacrifices herself for me and the kids. And I feel the shine rub off the perfect girl, and the glow I am thinking of is the one in my wife’s eyes as I come home from work each day and she shares the little details of our kids’ lives.
I think the OP has been to the party and has fallen in love with the perfect “girl,” leaving his wife looking like a frumpy, boring and tired old lump that he can’t imagine having married. That’s if he’s even Catholic, I don’t think he has that up on his information, does he?
The grass is always greener on the other side of the paddock…I’ll take our church no matter how bright the smiles might seem from the perfect church…