Why do Protestants say Catholicism leads to hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SebMurphy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus died for ‘many.’

Matt. 26:28, “for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for **many **for forgiveness of sins.”

Jesus died for the sheep (not the goats, per Matt. 25:32-33);

John 10:11,15 “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep…15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep."

Matt. 25:32-33, “And all the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left."

Jesus in prayer interceded for the ones given Him, not those of the entire world;

John 17:9, “I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom Thou hast given Me; for they are Thine;”
 
Hi Lampo,

I believe it because God’s Word says of itself that all flesh are as grass but the word of the Lord abides forever. 1 Pet 1

Also it is living and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb 4:12

In James it is the perfect law of liberty, a mirror.

It is also a spiritual word by which we are born again:

1 Pet 1:23
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever.

2 Tim 3:15
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Jesus Christ.

I have experienced the power of the Word of God.

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ for it is the power of God unto salvation unto every one that believeth, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith. For as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

God’s Word was preached, I believed it. Amen!
 
For Cat: Amen, Amen. As a former Anglican, via evangelicalism to the Church, you are exactly right. I am in a Bible study with a group of Protestant women and I am the only practicing Catholic. Several are former Catholics and I am constantly telling them what the Church really teaches as well as witnessing to my own faith and personal relationship with Jesus. I frequently mention the Mass readings from last week or the homily because it always seems to fit what we are studying. Most protestants think Catholics don’t read scripture, but we read Scripture more and more regularly than anyProtestants. The liturgical protestants have a lectionary, too, but most do not and read and hear only what their pastor wants to read. So, I would add, read carefully the Mass readings for Sundays and weekdays. If you do that, you will read the whole Bible every three years! Refrain from talking about devotions. Instead, you can say “prayer time”. That applies to visits to the Blessed Sacrament, the rosary or any other devotion. I completely agree about the corporal works of mercy. Catholic parishes almost always have all kinds of programs, in cooperation with other parishes in the diocese. Participate and mention those when asked. Our Church has so many active programs for those in need that we sometimes get too busy!
My participation in the Protestant women’s Bible study has been a motivation to understand and deepen my own faith and faithfulness to the Church as well as to increase my action in the community for the good of others. Blessings and pray for them.
Sometimes I think we Catholics are starving to death at a banquet and the Protestants and other evangelicals are gorging on spiritual fast food. Anneg
 
This thread should have been banned for being a gross oversimplification. Come on I may be about the only person from Zeeland Michigan to convert to catholicism but no person in my family, extended family or old friends has said Catholicism leads to hell. There were no Catholics in Zeeland, MI when I grew up. Back there the Calvinist disliked the Baptists. Nobody ever mentioned the catholics. And I don’t think I’m ready to tell my parents they are going to hell for being Christian Reformed, I don’t think I 'm capable of judging that.
 
Hi Lampo,

I believe it because God’s Word says of itself that all flesh are as grass but the word of the Lord abides forever. 1 Pet 1
This is referring to Jesus; not to the Bible.
Also it is living and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb 4:12
Again, this is referring to Jesus; not to the Bible.
1 Pet 1:23
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever.
Again, this is referring to Jesus; not to the Bible.
2 Tim 3:15
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Jesus Christ.
Aha, a vague reference to Scripture - probably a reference to the Torah, or to the Old Testament (Palestinian, or Alexandrian? No way of knowing …). No listing of the canon here, though.
I have experienced the power of the Word of God.
You have met Jesus; that’s good. 👍
Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ for it is the power of God unto salvation unto every one that believeth, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith. For as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
He is referring here to the Oral Tradition - nothing of the New Testament had yet been written down (other than what he himself was writing) at this time.
 
Jesus died for ‘many.’
So many cannot mean all. Jesus decided in advance for whom he would die. :hmmm: So you believe in some were born to be cast into Hell, no free will.
Jesus died for the sheep (not the goats, per Matt. 25:32-33);

Matt. 25:32-33, “And all the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left."
I do not see anywhere in the Matthew 25 discourse where Jesus qualifies for whom he died. Jesus is judging people according to whether or not they lived what they proclaimed to believe.
Jesus in prayer interceded for the ones given Him, not those of the entire world;

John 17:9, “I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom Thou hast given Me; for they are Thine;”
You are mixing two verses out of context. In Matthew 25, Jesus is teaching what the Kingdom of Heaven is like and how to get there. In John, Jesus is talking about the people who did his will and are going to be with him in Heaven.

I wish you would used a more modern translation. Some of your quotes are so archaic and stilted as to lose much meaning. English is a living language. The meanings of the words evolve. Mary did not “know” a man does not mean what it means in today’s language. We all understand what it means, but there are a lot of these kinds of expressions they carry a different meaning than they originally did. In the OT we are taught to “fear” God. It really means we should love God, not be afraid of him.
 
I am in a Bible study with a group of Protestant women and I am the only practicing Catholic. Several are former Catholics and I am constantly telling them what the Church really teaches as well as witnessing to my own faith and personal relationship with Jesus. I frequently mention the Mass readings from last week or the homily because it always seems to fit what we are studying. Most protestants think Catholics don’t read scripture, but we read Scripture more and more regularly than anyProtestants. The liturgical protestants have a lectionary, too, but most do not and read and hear only what their pastor wants to read. So, I would add, read carefully the Mass readings for Sundays and weekdays.
Sometimes I think we Catholics are starving to death at a banquet and the Protestants and other evangelicals are gorging on spiritual fast food. Anneg
Been there. These Protestant “non-denominationals” know more about the teachings of the CC than the Pope! I struggled for several years, because I figured God put me there for a reason. I finally quit and joined a Catholic Bible study because I got tired of being told Catholics were not Christians, “some” Catholics “might” go to Heaven. It was slam after slam on me. I have to believe that through God’s grace, my presence planted a seed in their hardened little hearts.
 
Been there. These Protestant “non-denominationals” know more about the teachings of the CC than the Pope! I struggled for several years, because I figured God put me there for a reason. I finally quit and joined a Catholic Bible study because I got tired of being told Catholics were not Christians, “some” Catholics “might” go to Heaven. It was slam after slam on me. I have to believe that through God’s grace, my presence planted a seed in their hardened little hearts.
The more I encounter these sort of Protestants, the more I hate them, and the more I hate Protestants in general. That’s not good for my soul, or for theirs, I don’t think. 😊 :dts:
 
got tired of being told Catholics were not Christians, “some” Catholics “might” go to Heaven. It was slam after slam on me. .
They are not slamming you, they are slamming what they conclude to be false teaching.
 
The more I encounter these sort of Protestants, the more I hate them, and the more I hate Protestants in general. That’s not good for my soul, or for theirs, I don’t think. 😊 :dts:
Jude 3
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
 
Jude 3
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
:confused:

Do you suddenly believe in the Saints, now, or what was the reason for quoting this verse?
 
Those whom approach catholics do so only because they are told to defend the salvation given them.
And telling the members of the Church that Christ Himself established that they are going to Hell accomplishes this, how? 🤷

I think we acknowledge that those outside of Christ’s Church can be saved in whatever mysterious manner He may come up with, but for those outside of Christ to come along and try to drag us away from Christ seems counterproductive, to me.
 
They are not slamming you, they are slamming what they conclude to be false teaching.
Let’s see, I’m in Bible study with these women and they tell me Catholics don’t believe in the Bible. Hmmm. They tell me I’m going to Hell, but hey, it’s not personal, it’s the false teaching of the Catholic Church, which they never could tell me, because they did not know what the Church teaches.
 
The more I encounter these sort of Protestants, the more I hate them, and the more I hate Protestants in general. That’s not good for my soul, or for theirs, I don’t think. 😊 :dts:
I’m pretty bitter about the experience, and they were my neighbors too!! But I have to admit, it forced me to examine what the Holy Catholic Church teaches, and I grew. I grew to love and appreciate the beauty and veracity of Jesus’ Church in a way I wouldn’t have had I not been challenged. So, perversely, the experience has strengthened my faith.🙂
 
They are not slamming you, they are slamming what they conclude to be false teaching.
It’s a good thing I didn’t take it upon myself to “correct” their false teaching, or we would never have gotten through a single session.😉
 
Let’s see, I’m in Bible study with these women and they tell me Catholics don’t believe in the Bible. Hmmm. They tell me I’m going to Hell, but hey, it’s not personal, it’s the false teaching of the Catholic Church, which they never could tell me, because they did not know what the Church teaches.
Well maybe they realised that because they weren’t subject to the pope according to your church they were heretics and outside of salvation according to your church and just wanted to return the doctrinal sentiment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top