Why do "some" or "many" Protestants have a visceral HATRED of the Catholic Church?

• Thread starter Thread starter K9Buck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’d like to know from an actual non-Catholic…

Many is a falsity. “Many” non-Catholics don’t have hatred for the Catholic church. Some do because there’s always outliers.

Most (you could even say many) of us see the Catholic Church as the other church down the street where everyone who attends is doing their best to get to heaven like we are.

I could even turn the question around to you: Why do “some” or “many” Catholics have a visceral HATRED of non-Catholics? When I went to baptism class with my wive and 3rd child I may as well not have been in the room when the teachers figured out I wasn’t Catholic. I’ve heard a Priest make mention why he doesn’t understand why Catholic girls go for “others” because they won’t respect them like Catholic boys…all in front of my kids. Why is this? @K9Buck

It comes from their clergy.

If the Catholic Church isn’t wrong (or sometimes even unchristian or evil) then the PROTESTant clergy have no reason to exist.

They exist in protest to the Catholic Church.

TBH, no… Like I said above. MOST (which I think is part of the OP) believe we’re all Christians doing our best to get to heaven.

If you say some…like a minority (which isn’t many) I can buy that.

I recently joined a non-denominational Christian forum (Worthy Christian Forums) and there is apparently no shortage of people there that seemingly HATE the Catholic Church and despise Catholics.

Why is that?
Perhaps they were told of a Protestant sympathizer who in the past was burned alive at the stake or perhaps they read about the horrific tortures in WWII against non-Catholics at the concentration camp in Jasenovac. A Catholic clergyman was commandant at that camp.

Last edited:
Perhaps they were told of a Protestant sympathizer who in the past was burned alive at the stake or perhaps they read about the horrific tortures in WWII against non-Catholics at the concentration camp in Jasenovac. A Catholic clergyman was commandant at that camp.
By the same token, one could hate protestants for what Jim Jones did. For that matter, wasn’t Hitler a Lutheran?

TBH, no… Like I said above. MOST (which I think is part of the OP) believe we’re all Christians doing our best to get to heaven.

If you say some…like a minority (which isn’t many) I can buy that.
I wasn’t the one who used the word “many.” However, I do believe it begins with their clergy. Obviously not every protestant clergyman, but enough of them.

Last edited:
For that matter, wasn’t Hitler a Lutheran?
His Mother was Catholic and he was a baptized & confirmed Catholic. However, witnesses say he never received any of the Sacarments again after leaving home at 18.

He obviously hated the Catholic Church and some some historians believed his ultimate goal was to rid Germany of Christianity all together. Also, as a young adult, he didn’t consider himself to be Catholic. He consider himself to be a “Positive Christian” - which was an antisemitic movement that rejected the divinity of Christ, rejected the Old Testament, and any/all Jewish & Catholic roots to Christianity.

Last edited:
Your own reference says Hitler was a Baptized Catholic.
Yea, no kidding. And as the source states, Hitler ultimately rejected Catholicism. Or do you consider being baptized as an infant or child a decision that sticks for life?

It’s because the Catholic Church is God’s own church and the Devil is constantly trying to attack it by making people hate it.
I think you are absolutely on the money. I have sensed a lot of satanic and demonic “vibe” when Protestants (and others) speak ill of the Catholic Church. It is more than just disagreeing with our doctrines or even being scandalized by the very real sins and crimes committed by those in the Church who have been entrusted with the care of souls. The latter is definitely “blood in the water” and, I hate to say it, gives them a certain righteous justification for despising the Church. It’s a bad, bad situation. I thought it was bad when I was on a college campus in the 1970s and 1980s trying to defend the Faith. I can only imagine what it must be like now.

On a brighter note, I was inspired tonight at Mass by a young student, wearing a sorority T-shirt (our church is near a college campus), devoutly assisting at Mass, even bowed profoundly during the Credo when the words “and was incarnate of the Virgin Mary” were recited. I thought “she did not have to come to Mass tonight (in the eyes of the world, that is), there’s nothing in the secular culture that rewards her for such piety, yet here she is anyway”. I hope my son can meet someone like her in about 7 or 8 years.

I’m arguing one intense protestant and he just disagrees with whatever I say, and keeps on insisting that the Pope is the Antichrist and that I worship the Pope. I tried to say that all Christian’s should stand united in Christ and, seemingly bashing me, they said “that’s a very Catholic response”. In all fairness it was in the comments of a conspiracy theory like video and it seemed to be a magnet for these kind of people, which I believe and hope are in the minority. In real life these people seem to be few and far between, although I’d imagine they are mostly located down here in the deep South .

Last edited:
To be fair there are some who identify as Catholic that don’t like the Catholic Church or have a problem with a teaching of Jesus. Those who think women can be priests, those who disagree with Jesus on marriage Is only between one man and one woman, contraception, liberals who are pro abortion. Sometimes ‘Catholics’ are more protestant than protestants.

the PROTESTant clergy have no reason to exist.

They exist in protest to the Catholic Church.
At the time of Reformation, that verb (“protest”) meant something closer to what we would today say with “attest”. Maybe we should speak of “Attestants” rather than “Protestants”, it would avoid a few misunderstandings.

I don’t disagree with you, by the way, or I wouldn’t be here 😜

that’s odd because they should know the real history of the church…mm

I think you are absolutely on the money. I have sensed a lot of satanic and demonic “vibe” when Protestants (and others) speak ill of the Catholic Church. It is more than just disagreeing with our doctrines or even being scandalized by the very real sins and crimes committed by those in the Church who have been entrusted with the care of souls.
I think this is subjective, there are some who have received visions from Jesus that the Catholic Church is the wrong church. There was a pentecostal service I attended in the past, where a former catholic from Timor Leste recounted her former experience in the catholic church, where she had a dream of Jesus appearing to her to not follow the catholic practice of venerating Mary ie kissing the statue of Mary. She started to doubt the church and eventually converted to the protestant faith with the help of missionaries in the village. As far as I could tell, I remembered her testimony to be one of catholic-bashing based on emotions rather than doctrines. It certainly made me highly uncomfortable that I stopped attending the church for quite a long time.

On a personal level, I take the love your neighbour as yourself seriously. I prefer mediation and ecumenical interactions to get to know how and why other beliefs think before jumping into a conclusion. I believe protestants do this through “rebuke”, they have the perception to value their own reasoning/experience rather than act out of love for other christians.
I’m arguing one intense protestant and he just disagrees with whatever I say, and keeps on insisting that the Pope is the Antichrist and that I worship the Pope. I tried to say that all Christian’s should stand united in Christ and, seemingly bashing me, they said “that’s a very Catholic response”.
If you argue with a protestant, you generally have to adopt a scriptural approach and back up with scripture verses from the bible as well as having a strong knowledge of the history of the church fathers, the latter being what protestants generally lack due to their general rejection of extra-biblical evidence. This is why a number of my close roman catholic friends would prefer to not argue/debate with protestants who know the bible better than them and avoid theological conversations altogether before any catholic bashing occurs between them and their protestants friends/acquaintances.
To be fair there are some who identify as Catholic that don’t like the Catholic Church or have a problem with a teaching of Jesus. Sometimes ‘Catholics’ are more protestant than protestants.
Ah this is true, there are always bad apples no matter which church you go. And sometimes, the protestants who do develop a hatred towards the Catholic Church are usually the ones that are constantly met with experiences of the bad apples. They then based these experiences as genuine and eschew exploring the Catholic Church altogether.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back