Why do "some" or "many" Protestants have a visceral HATRED of the Catholic Church?

• Thread starter Thread starter K9Buck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, it is real
Dude, sure…like I said there’s some fringe and very vocal groups. Same thing can be said on here about the way some Catholics view non-Catholics.
prevalent
I don’t know about that…maybe it’s a geographical area.
hey think you are the one misguided and a minority.
Sure, but that doesn’t mean they’re right or speak for the whole of non-Catholic Christianity (see Westboro Baptist).

Sure, but that doesn’t mean they’re right or speak for the whole of non-Catholic Christianity (see Westboro Baptist).
I hope one day you realize your and my opinion on this is not very important here. The important thing is what they, the misguided Christians, think and possible more importantly what all non Christians think.

Peace!!!

That seems doubtful to be honest. Prior to that the Nazi Germany, who were 67% protestant in 1939 who in the 39 census maintained themselves as practicing protestants.The largest being the German Evangelical Church through the 30’s.:

From the mid-1930s, his government was increasingly dominated by militant anti-church proponents like Goebbels, Bormann, Himmler, Rosenberg and Heydrich whom Hitler appointed to key posts.[49] These anti-church radicals were generally permitted or encouraged to perpetrate the Nazi persecutions of the churches.[50] The regime launched an effort toward coordination of German Protestants under a unified Protestant Reich Church (but this was resisted by the Confessing Church), and moved early to eliminate Catholicism.[51] Hitler agreed to the Reich concordat with the Vatican, but then routinely ignored it, and permitted persecutions of the Catholic Church

3 million catholics were killed in the camps. The largest camps at the time in Germany were Dachau, Buchenwald, and Sachsenhausen. However the estimate was around 4500 camps and subcamps.

cont.

Prior to this there was an Irish catholic Genocide which claimed 1.8 million. Before that the french revolution where the protestants marched all the catholic clergy into the first concentration camps, and claiming 3 million catholics. Prior to that was the 30 year war also know as the protestant war during the reformation which claimed 8 million catholics. Contrary to popular belief the reformation wasn’t begun over theology but rather the desire for wealth. Monasteries were initially seized and stripped of Holy accoutrements for the mass, monks and nuns initially forbidden practicing their faith to later as it spread through Europe being made prisoners, some forced to convert, and some nuns forced to marry going to the with the new protestant churches or their respective governments. This lead quickly to the imprisonment of clergy and confiscation of property and goods throughout Europe. The protestant inquisitions were far worse and far more numerous (factiod, most torture devices were developed by the protestant states) Catholics were burned alive, drawn and quartered, squished in small cages til their insides spilled through open orifices, forced to drink wine til their bellies protruded hen eviscerated.

As stated earlier, the above citation is hardly what set off the hatred, its been around much longer. so mostly totaled from the last 500 years 15.8 million deaths of Catholics at the hands of protestants. FWIW that’s just up to WW2, this isn’t counting what has occurred in the United States. In my state alone, the 4 corners tribes were massacred and all the priests butchered the land seized then petitioned for statehood.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

Last edited:
Maybe you could tell us, sans “The Black Legend” as Tim Lehay employed. One has to admit it was an effective propaganda tool to have lasted this long. However there is no doubt as to who the aggressors were historically and the vast numbers of lives taken. History is enlightening when light is actually shed. FWIW it appears as if you are attempting to justify genocide.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

Last edited:
Some sort of diabolical oppression. The devil absolutely does not want Christianity to unify, so he works to divide by stirring up hatred amongst the non-Catholics and spreading apathy amongst Catholics. What you get is a lot of people leaving the Church and those within it not really caring about them leaving, or thinking that it’s just as well as long as there is some “mere Christianity” to keep it all connected. As we can see, “mere Christianity” and separate “ecclesial communities” easily fades into agnostic deism.

When I was in the new book (as opposed to the rare book) business, I sold a special order to a customer who was on one side or the other of the Ustashe/Pavelic story. Spent a lot of time raving/ranting in the store about it, which made me think I needed to know more about it.

Been watching for a nice balanced book for years. Though I’m much more embedded in the Pacific Theater, as you know…

Last edited:
I wasn’t thinking of the potato famine but of Queen Elizabeth I and Oliver Cromwells ethnic cleansing of Ireland:

In 1520, when Henry VIII broke with Rome, religion was added to the bias against the Catholic Irish. Under Henry’s daughter, the murderous Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), the killing fields of Ireland ran red with the blood of innocent victims. It is estimated 1.5 million Irish peasants were starved or “put to the sword” and much of their lands seized by English predators, while she reigned.

By the time the zealot Oliver Cromwell arrived on the scene, the Irish were ripe for more carnage. “It has pleased God to bless our endeavors,” he wrote of the mass slaughter in 1649, by his Puritan troops, of 3,552 Irish inhabitants of the seaport town of Drogheda, just north of Dublin. He pompously continued, “I am persuaded that this is a righteous judgment of God upon these barbarous wretches.”

This Drogheda massacre is one of the leading examples of the insidious British policy of ethnic cleansing in Ireland. Another is Cromwell’s sacking of Wexford and the killing of 2,000 of its citizens.

The infamous “Cromwellian Settlements” followed his conquest of Ireland. Millions of acres of land (41 percent of Antrim, 26 percent of Down, 34 percent of Armagh and 38 percent of Monaghan) were allocated to English Protestant settlers. The landowners of Irish birth were either killed, banished or forced out to Connaught in the west of Ireland, where it was hoped “they would starve to death.”

A Cromwell biographer labeled this massive confiscation of Irish lands, “by far the most wholesale effort to impose on Ireland the Protestant faith and English ascendancy.” The British policy of colonizing Ireland with Protestants still has repercussions which are felt today on the streets of Belfast.

From 1649 to 1652, one-third of the population of Ireland was destroyed. Petty, an English historian says, “660,000 Irish people were killed.” Twenty thousand Irish boys and girls were sold into slavery to the West Indies. The Irish peasant farmers who survived were forced to pay rent to their usurpers. Once prosperous home-grown industries were also destroyed because they “competed with British factories.”

The memory of the holocausts under Elizabeth I and Cromwell have been forever seared into the psyche of the Irish race. Cromwell’s evil idea that Irish Catholics were “barbarous wretches” has, too, unfortunately, passed into the British mindset.

Parliament reacted to Cromwell’s crime against humanity in Ireland by passing an infamous Resolution that legitimized ethnic cleansing. It stated, “The House doth approve the execution done at Drogheda, as an act both of justice to them and mercy to others who may be warned by it.”

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

edit: fixed formating

Last edited:
In the US, at least, it seems to me that the second-largest denomination behind the Roman Catholic Church, if it were a single denomination, are the people who are baptized in the Catholic Church but have left.

In my limited experience, these of course include some folks who sort of “wandered off”–for instance, married a non-Catholic and decided to go to the spouse’s church or just fell away from going to church at all–but it also includes some who use phrases like “recovering Catholic” and “I will not darken the door of a Catholic church” and that kind of thing. These are the family members who won’t go to family funerals when those are held at Catholic churches. It includes a good number of people who left the Chuch with a lot of anger and resentment, convinced that the Church is an inherently toxic organization. These are people, moreover, who have some credibility with people outside the Church because “they’ve been there, they know.”

Last edited:
I deal in the depths, as far as they may be plumbed, on a number of historical topics.

It costs me. The wife is used to it. This one likely available in the $30+ range.

Do you have an opinion on Cardinal Stepanic? Catholic historians believe him to be a courageous leader, while Serbs raise questions about his failure to speak out.

That may be true but I have seen some western Protestant missionaries bring this up as a

But that is the question under discussion raised by the OP?

True, not a very pleasant question.

Last edited:
Not really its just a “morbid desire for controversy” its already been proven that this one incident isn’t the cause of the hate as addressed above predating it by several hundred years:
1 Tim 6: 3 If any one teaches otherwise and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching which accords with godliness,
4 he is puffed up with conceit, he knows nothing; he has a morbid craving for controversy and for disputes about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, base suspicions,
5 and wrangling among men who are depraved in mind and bereft of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

fruit of spirit vs fruit of flesh

Gal 5: 19 Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit,
21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law.

With regard to the OP’s actual question. After many years hearing all the same things verbatim my guess is it is part of what we would call catechesis and they might call sunday school. People don’t come up with all the same blurbs on their own, it has to be taught.

I suspect it is also why the catechism teaches “those who through no fault of their own”

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

edit; code put in a smiley face, deleted

Last edited:
Actually it doesn’t. FWIW thanks for proving my point above in post 176

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back