Why do some Protestants think

• Thread starter Thread starter thelovelyone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, but I would be careful with said opinions when talking about other faiths and other faith backgrounds, specifically if those opinions are being made as statements of fact 🤷‍♂️

I personally try to avoid answering for other other faith backgrounds. It’s one thing to have an opinion and another to spread what you think that a collective “they” believes.

Revelation 2:20
I’ll quote the footnotes for you so it’s easier: “The apostate church (The Catholic Church) is filled with all manner of fornication and idolatry, both spiritual and physical.”

That Catholics are worshipping idols and that they are apostates? In my version of the New Testament in Revelation the writer of the footnotes think that the Roman Catholic Church is straying away from God.
I can’t really speak to the apostate thing. that always confused me that some Protestants would go to that length. With regard to the idol thing, Protestants generally take a pretty literal reading of the First Commandment with regard to performing religious devotion to saints, statues of saints, or icons. In my opinion when it comes down to it, I just don’t see much difference between some practices which are labeled as veneration, and ancestor worship described in ancient cultures. I understand the distinction that is frequently made between veneration and worship, but I have seen that in practice that line gets pretty blurred. So for example, near where I live is the MIssion of San Xavier. It is a beautiful originally Dominican, later Franciscan church. Off in one alcove they have a carved bust of St. Francis. When you approach the bust you will find offerings and trinkets laid out around it, and notes with petitions offered to St. Francis. I understand the distinction frequently made between asking the saints for intercession, and praying to the saints. However, in practice, this isn’t what you see. You see notes with petitions directly addressed to St. Francis. When you see that, it is pretty hard not to feel revulsion toward the practice, particularly when scripture just doesn’t support or command such practice. That is my take on the matter.

Last edited:
Thank you, @thelovelyone. That strikes me as just silly. Anybody could say that at any time, not connected with anything in particular. It’s like some of the insults you see on comments threads, even here at CAF sometimes, just before the poster gets a suspension.

Last edited:
You know how many megachurches have PowerPoint presentations / projected images? Does that mean they worship PowerPoint? No.

Well said. I have to be very careful of idol worship; but my idols aren’t graven images, and I do really struggle with where my heart is.

In my opinion when it comes down to it, I just don’t see much difference between some practices which are labeled as veneration, and ancestor worship described in ancient cultures. I understand the distinction that is frequently made between veneration and worship, but I have seen that in practice that line gets pretty blurred.
I’ll steal a line from Dr David Anders of the “Called to Communion” show: worship is made to God only, and to no one else. It is characterized by making sacrifices to the God one worships. Veneration does no such thing.
However, in practice, this isn’t what you see. You see notes with petitions directly addressed to St. Francis.
Code:
Dear Hodos,
I need a successful heart transplant operation.
Sincerely,
Gorgias
Would you presume that I’m saying that I expect you to perform the operation? Or, wouldn’t we both know that I want you to pray for me…?
Exodus 20 has been quoted to me by the Holy spirit.
That’s strange. Why would the Holy Spirit say something different than the Bible says? 🤔

More to the point, I guess, why should we regard you as an authoritative conduit of theological teaching? God already gave us a Church with the authority to teach.

I understand the distinction frequently made between asking the saints for intercession, and praying to the saints
Here’s a question for you @Hodos - is there a scriptural issue with asking for non-worshipful intercessory prayer from those in the Church triumphant?

Here’s a question for you @Hodos - is there a scriptural issue with asking for non-worshipful intercessory prayer from those in the Church triumphant?
On its face, not sure. Again, there is no command or promise to honor such prayer. Christ’s own example addresses prayer to the Father. Again, though, from what I have seen, this practice which isn’t scriptural is open to abuse and confusion as demonstrated in the actual practices described above. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Isn’t that what your post is doing? You are speaking for “they” as well haha.

Yep, but I would be careful with said opinions when talking about other faiths and other faith backgrounds, specifically if those opinions are being made as statements of fact 🤷‍♂️
Thing is, generally you can sum up beliefs of a certain group. However, Protestants are not too certain group- all they share are 5 Solas and even their interpretation vary… however…

In eyes of Catholic Church, they have some things in common such as what po18guy described - they also lack valid priesthood etc etc… but I don’t think he said anything bad or anything you could refute or did he? It’s easy to just put facepalm emoji but perhaps constructive criticism would be nicer. In the end if indeed Catholic Church was true, then one could never justify Protestant Reformation and hence one could never justify not being Catholic/Orthodox. So it logically does follow that Protestants tend to say there was a reason for split.

Some have chosen to take path of accusing Catholicism of Apostasy like ones OP mentioned. Some justify it differently.

Also out of curiosity, what have you heard explained on this site about your religious background that is not true? What is even your religious background in the first place?
Probably because of scenes like this:
Fun part is that on this picture no one is even kneeling or showing any form worship at all.

Last edited:
This!!! TC3033 If you are going to tell someone they are wrong you need to provide an answer in response. Just telling people they are wrong on all points doesn’t help the original poster or anyone.

Isn’t that what your post is doing? You are speaking for “they” as well haha.
No, I can speak for we. The post lumped all non-Catholic Christians into a group. I can speak for the we in that group…as I’m at least part of that group. Like I said, it’s always interesting to read on here what I was supposedly taught and believe that I new knew…(sarcasm)
In eyes of Catholic Church, they have some things in common such as what po18guy described - they also lack valid priesthood etc etc… but I don’t think he said anything bad or anything you could refute or did he? It’s easy to just put facepalm emoji but perhaps constructive criticism would be nicer. In the end if indeed Catholic Church was true, then one could never justify Protestant Reformation and hence one could never justify not being Catholic/Orthodox. So it logically does follow that Protestants tend to say there was a reason for split.
Well it was inferred we need identify reasons to stay separated. Actually we don’t, we’re so far clear of the split and so many generations were raised in the Church we know. I was raised in a non-Catholic Christian Church. My wife and I agree on nearly everything, I know people that aren’t Catholic that agree on everything with the Church. That doesn’t mean we go out “oh crap, I need to think something up so I can’t become Catholic”. That’s just rude. The majority of us see the Catholic Church as another Christian Church down the street, we don’t run around and have secret meetings to think up reasons to not become Catholic…and make it sound as if the Catholic Church is in some way evil…which was inferred.

I think that should be a decent start.
Some have chosen to take path of accusing Catholicism of Apostasy like ones OP mentioned. Some justify it differently.
And most of us don’t think, or care, either way. We’re supposed to be brothers and sisters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back