Why is Jesus never on the cross in a Protestant church?

• Thread starter Thread starter Righteousone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Corinthians 15:13-14 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.

Let us not forget that without the resurrection our faith is in vain. If I choose to not have the corpus on the cross I wouldn’t think it should bother anyone other than the most bigotted of Catholics.
You are taking one line of scripture and running with it. You need to read that Chapter and quote it from the begining of Ch 15. Paul is giving a summury from the begining and is putting everything in contrast. It is very clear he is doing this. You are taking just one line of Pauls summery. Yes,sometimes there are times in scirpture where this is affective,but this is not the case with the one line you pulled from the Bible.

You are taking one line of scripture and running with it. You need to read that Chapter and quote it from the begining of Ch 15. Paul is giving a summury from the begining and is putting everything in contrast. It is very clear he is doing this. You are taking just one line of Pauls summery. Yes,sometimes there are times in scirpture where this is affective,but this is not the case with the one line you pulled from the Bible.
Do you disagree with what I posted? Maybe you are one of those moderns who thinks the resurrection was spiritual and not real?

1 Corinthians 15:13-14 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.

Let us not forget that without the resurrection our faith is in vain. If I choose to not have the corpus on the cross I wouldn’t think it should bother anyone other than the most bigotted of Catholics.
1 Corinthians 15:
12Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
14And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
15Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
16For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

In context, the “dead” Paul’s talking about is “us”, not Jesus.
He is talking about our rising from death.

👍

The Jewish religion denies Christ. Do you disagree with that statement?
Sorry, I don’t play the baith and switch games:)
Do you disagree with what I posted? Maybe you are one of those moderns who thinks the resurrection was spiritual and not real?
Once again. You are playing “bait and switch”. If you are not sure what that is just look back at how I quoted you and posed a question and/or remark. You then followed up with a completely different subject hence “bait and switch”👍

Once again. You are playing “bait and switch”. If you are not sure what that is just look back at how I quoted you and posed a question and/or remark. You then followed up with a completely different subject hence “bait and switch”👍
:dts:

:clapping:

:bowdown:

Jesus called The Synagogue His Father’s house.
Luke 2:46-49 6 After three days they found him **in the temple, **sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 And when his parents(1 )saw him, they were astonished. And his mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been searching for you in great distress.” 49 And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?"

Is this the verse you are speaking of? If it is, Jesus wasn’t in a synagogue but in a temple where they offered animal sacrifice under the old covenant. The old covenant is done away with by the new and better covenant Jesus offered us.

Do you think that since Jesus called the Jewish temple His Father’s house we should still offer animal sacrifice like they did under the old covenant?

No, there was no bait and switch. I have no idea what I posted that you would disagree with.

Islam is a competely false religion.

The Jews deny Christ.

How can anyone disagree with the above two statements?

1 Corinthians 15:
12Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
14And **if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. ** 15Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
16For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

In context, the “dead” Paul’s talking about is “us”, not Jesus.
He is talking about our rising from death.
**if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. ** It can’t get a whole lot clearer than this. Do you disagree with the above? If so, what is it you disagree with?

If Christ isn’t risen our faith is in vain. Is there something in this statement you don’t like?

I feel God at the park:) Out in His beautiful creation.🙂
Like Jesus was sitting out on the hill.

For some reason I could never listen to billy Graham crusades out in a big stadium that had been used for football.😦 Just me I guess.
Would Jesus do this?, if he would he would have been at the coloseum eeee how awfull, where they spilled blood and the men ran around naked:eek:

I do believe a sanctuary should be just that for worship, which I think is what 2G is getting at.

I don’t think the muslims are pagans, this is the first time I have heard them referred to as that. :o Ahh they are not pagans, I hope!

Hm! I like the empty cross, a reminder that Christ won the victory over death, the message of Easter.
Code:
  Actually (and I hope I offend no one) but millions of people have suffered agonizing deaths, many as drawn-out and as painful as that of Jesus. Think of all the wars, all the torture, all the tragedies of history - many man-made, but many (like the recent tornados) 'acts of God'. When I see Jesus on the cross I see him as symbolic of all the innocent people who have faced a cruel death. Do we make too much out of this one sacrifice? What about victims whose hearts were cut out while still alive, virgins tossed into live volcanoes, captives skinned alive, prisoners slowly tortured to death, etc.?

And Jesus knew all the time that he was going to rise in three days and sit eternally in glory at the right hand of the Father?

In fact - forgive me - but that whole scenario troubles me. I recall an old rime:
   God published a tale of a girl and a ghost,
   Of devils in pigs and his son on a cross,
   And gave it to man to believe it or roast -
        For his mercy endureth forever!

I am a Christian, devoted to the message of Christ and trying to live with him as my example. But this substitutionary suffering dogma, the idea that God deliberately had his only son killed to save us from hell, seems wildly primitive, yes even pagan. I'm sure God has set in place better ways of gaining eternal life. What about Jesus' statement in answer to the lawyer (Luke 10:25-28)? Christ said nothing about doctrine, only that in order to obtain eternal life we must (1) love God and (2) love our neighbor as ourself.

Oh, and as some have pointed out, Anglicans and Lutherans often do have Christ upon the cross. I especially dislike seeing it hanging in hospital rooms in Catholic hospitals!

Luke 2:46-49 6 After three days they found him **in the temple, **sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 And when his parents(1 )saw him, they were astonished. And his mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been searching for you in great distress.” 49 And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?"

Is this the verse you are speaking of? If it is, Jesus wasn’t in a synagogue but in a temple where they offered animal sacrifice under the old covenant. The old covenant is done away with by the new and better covenant Jesus offered us.

Do you think that since Jesus called the Jewish temple His Father’s house we should still offer animal sacrifice like they did under the old covenant?
First, let’s get on the same page:

Main Entry: synagogue
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: church
Synonyms: abbey, cathedral, chapel, house of God, house of prayer, house of worship, mosque, parish, shrine, shul, tabernacle, temple

Jesus called “The Temple” His Father’s house.

Period.

That is what I said.

That is what is actual truth and what cannot be denied.

Not only when He was 12, but also when he was in His early 30’s.

Matthew 12:12-13
And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,And said unto them, “It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.”

I feel God at the park:) Out in His beautiful creation.🙂
Like Jesus was sitting out on the hill.

For some reason I could never listen to billy Graham crusades out in a big stadium that had been used for football.😦 Just me I guess.
Would Jesus do this?, if he would he would have been at the coloseum eeee how awfull, where they spilled blood and the men ran around naked:eek:

I do believe a sanctuary should be just that for worship, which I think is what 2G is getting at.

I don’t think the muslims are pagans, this is the first time I have heard them referred to as that. :o Ahh they are not pagans, I hope!
I mis-used the term “pagan” in my earlier post.

As to what 2G means, well, we won’t know until he explains himself.

**if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. ** It can’t get a whole lot clearer than this. Do you disagree with the above? If so, what is it you disagree with?
Why do you keep ignoring the verse just before that one? The one that states that “if there is no ressurecion of the dead”?

First, let’s get on the same page:

Main Entry: synagogue
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: church
Synonyms: abbey, cathedral, chapel, house of God, house of prayer, house of worship, mosque, parish, shrine, shul, tabernacle, temple

Jesus called “The Temple” His Father’s house.

Period.

That is what I said.

That is what is actual truth and what cannot be denied.

Not only when He was 12, but also when he was in His early 30’s.

Matthew 12:12-13
And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,And said unto them, “It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.”
A temple is a place where sacrifice is offered. Sacrifice is not offered at a synagogue.

**Do you think Jesus still wants animal sacrifice since that is what the temple (His Father’s house) is for? **
You couldn’t have ever visited a Jewish temple because there is none. You may have visited a Jewish synagogue but Jesus, to the best of my knowledge, never called the synagogue His Father’s house.

Why do you keep ignoring the verse just before that one? The one that states that “if there is no ressurecion of the dead”?
What exactly bothers you about the verse I posted? Can you show us that if Jesus hadn’t been resurrected our faith wouldn’t be in vain?

Romans 5:9-11

Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. (10) For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. (11) And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

rec·on·cile
–verb (used with object)
  1. to cause (a person) to accept or be resigned to something not desired: He was reconciled to his fate.
  2. to win over to friendliness; cause to become amicable: to reconcile hostile persons.
  3. to compose or settle (a quarrel, dispute, etc.).
  4. to bring into agreement or harmony; make compatible or consistent: to reconcile differing statements; to reconcile accounts.
  5. to reconsecrate (a desecrated church, cemetery, etc.).
  6. to restore (an excommunicate or penitent) to communion in a church.
    –verb (used without object)
  7. to become reconciled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back