Why is Jesus never on the cross in a Protestant church?

• Thread starter Thread starter Righteousone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread makes it apparent that many catholics DO have issue with the empty cross
 Glad you don’t but you can’t say ‘We don’t have a problem with your empty crosses’ because many do.
I can tell you have a sore attitude towards catholics, but i can tell you that EVERYONE in my family(large italian family) has “empty crosses” hanging in there homes, including myself. Catholics dont deny any emblem that reminds us of Jesus and what he did for us. 😛

I can tell you have a sore attitude towards catholics, but i can tell you that EVERYONE in my family(large italian family) has “empty crosses” hanging in there homes, including myself. Catholics dont deny any emblem that reminds us of Jesus and what he did for us. 😛
Just as us Catholics have more Bible, more Traditions, more Sacraments, more History, more Christian Brethren (Saints), we have more Crosses
Both The Crucifiix AND The Cross.

👍

Good on ya!

The only Christian thing I have on the wall in my home is a crucifix. I adore it daily.

On a chain around my neck I have a cross of David with a Christian cross superimposed on it. It reminds me where He came from and where He went. I wear that reminder and look at the crucifix above my desk. Works for me.

His death is the payment for our sin. No question.

His resurrection is what gives us hope.
I got assuredness the moment He died

and confirmation from the Saints that rose before He did in Matthew 27:52.

Good on ya!

The only Christian thing I have on the wall in my home is a crucifix. I adore it daily.

On a chain around my neck I have a cross of David with a Christian cross superimposed on it. It reminds me where He came from and where He went. I wear that reminder and look at the crucifix above my desk. Works for me.
That sounds nice.

Do you have a picture on it?

It sounds like the cross/anchor deal.

Just as us Catholics have more Bible, more Traditions, more Sacraments, more History, more Christian Brethren (Saints), we have more Crosses
Both The Crucifiix AND The Cross.

👍
CCC 868 The Church is catholic: she proclaims the **fullness of the faith. ** She bears in herself **and administers the totality of the means of salvation. ** She is sent out to all peoples. She speaks to all men. She encompasses all times. She is “missionary of her very nature.”
👍

So His death was enough for you?
His death was enough for all of us
the risen dead who were justified in His death are a testament to that.

Matthew 27:50-53

50 And Jesus cried again with a loud voice, and yielded up his spirit.
51 And behold, the veil of the temple was rent in two from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake; and the rocks were rent;

52 and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised;

53 and coming forth out of the tombs after his resurrection they entered into the holy city and appeared unto many.

That sounds nice.

Do you have a picture on it?

It sounds like the cross/anchor deal.
No picture. It’s a gold cross of David with a Christian cross over it. It’s cool. Jesus was a Jew, and He went to the cross in fulfillment of the prophesies of the messiah. He did that voluntarily for us all. I am reminded of that every day when I put that cross around my neck and of course when I look at the crucifix above my desk.

I don’t at all discount His sacrifice. Please do not think that I do.

I believe that the passion is vitally important to our salvation.

I also believe that without His resurrection His death on the cross would have been in vain. He predicted His resurrection and He completed that so that we would have hope beyond the forgiveness of our sin. He gave us life eternal in Him through his sacrifice and resurrection.
so what about john 12:32-33?

CCC 868 The Church is catholic: she proclaims the **fullness of the faith. ** She bears in herself **and administers the totality of the means of salvation. ** She is sent out to all peoples. She speaks to all men. She encompasses all times. She is “missionary of her very nature.”
👍
cath·o·lic
–adjective
  1. broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like; having sympathies with all; broad-minded; liberal.
  2. universal in extent; involving all; of interest to all.
  3. pertaining to the whole Christian body or church.
Synonyms: all-embracing, broad-minded, charitable, comprehensive, cosmic, cosmopolitan, diffuse, eclectic, ecumenical, extensive, generic, global, inclusive, indeterminate, large-scale, liberal, open-minded, planetary, receptive, tolerant, unbigoted, universal [AKA “catholic”], unprejudiced, unsectarian, whole, wide, world-wide, worldly

Q: I had a friend ask me why Catholics have Crucifixes in our churches
don’t we believe Jesus has risen? Why do we keep Him on the cross?

A: First of all, you would want to check out 1st Corinthians, chapter 1, verse 23. Paul says, “
but we preach Christ crucified
” Why does Paul preach Christ crucified? Doesn’t he know Jesus has been raised from the dead? Of course he does! But, he knows that it is through the power of the crucified Christ on the cross that the bonds of sin and death are broken. As Paul says in verse 24, Christ crucified is the “power of God”.

1 Cor 2:2, “For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.” Again, didn’t Paul know that Jesus had risen from the dead? Of course, he did.

Paul preaches Christ crucified because an empty cross has no power. The cross that bears the beaten, battered, and bloodied body of Jesus Christ, however, that cross is the “power of God”. This is why, we “keep Jesus on the cross,” because we, too, preach Christ crucified. The Crucifix reminds us not only of God’s power, but also His love for us - giving His only begotten Son up for suffering and death.

Also, here in this life we do not share so much in the glory of the Resurrection, as we do in the suffering of Jesus on the cross; after all, we must take up our cross daily if we are to follow Jesus, as it says in Lk 9:23.

And, we must die with Christ in order to live with Him as Romans 6:8 tells us. Where did Christ die? On the cross. The Crucifix serves to remind us of these things.

One other passage to keep in mind is Galatians 3:1, “O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?” Did you catch that? Jesus was publicly portrayed, before their “eyes”, as being crucified. Sounds kind of like they may have been looking at a Crucifix, doesn’t it?

biblechristiansociety.com/2min_apologetics.php?id=6

I skimmed the thread – didn’t go thru all 12 pages :rolleyes: – but it seems to be that for some it’s a lot of “Risen Christ!” “Suffering Christ!” “Risen Christ!” “Suffering Christ!” It’s like an ecumenical Bud Light commercial.

I have a Crucifix in my room, as well as one on the end of my Rosary. I have an Infant of Prague statue, and a Baby Jesus in my creche. I have a Sacred Heart “I am Catholic, in case of accident kindly call a priest, preferably a Jesuit who’s also an MD” card, and a picture of the Agony in the Garden in my side table. One of the churches I used to attend had a Triumphant Christ in front of a Cross as a crucifix; another I went to had a life-size statue of “The Redeemer in Death” under the altar.

Soooo
which Christ do I worship?
  • I worship the I AM who was before Abraham
  • I worship the Word made flesh, who dwelt among us
  • I worship the Baby who was laid to sleep in a trough
  • I worship the Child refugee from a vengeful king
  • I worship the Man who was friends with labourers, fisherman, tax collectors, and prostitutes
  • I worship the Man who kicked butt in the Temple and wept outside a friend’s tomb
  • I worship the King who rode a donkey and wore a crown of thorns
  • I worship the Man who still loved his friends, even when they doubted Him, or denied Him, or eventually deserted Him
  • I worship Him who forgave those that brutally beat, whipped, tortured, humiliated and crucified Him, yet who, before He died, remembered to make sure someone took care of His mother
  • I worship Him who forgave the dying bandit, because he repented
  • I worship the Man who suffered on the cross for my sake, even though I don’t bloody well deserve it
  • I worship Him who died, was buried, and descended into Hell
  • I worship Him who rose from the dead three days later
  • I worship Him who ascended into heaven and sits at His Father’s right hand
Now
if any one of you artistic types can make me a nice statue that renders all of that in one go, great; if not, well, we’ll have to make do with one at a time to symbolize the whole, eh?

And I haven’t even mentioned Î™Î§Î˜Î„ÎŁ, either.😃

Peace
  • John

I can tell you have a sore attitude towards catholics
Then you don’t know me very well

but i can tell you that EVERYONE in my family(large italian family) has “empty crosses” hanging in there homes, including myself. Catholics dont deny any emblem that reminds us of Jesus and what he did for us. 😛
Right on
 👍

All I was trying to say is that you can’t speak for EVERY catholic as this thread makes it clear that there are SOME who have an issue with the empty cross.

No picture. It’s a gold cross of David with a Christian cross over it. It’s cool. Jesus was a Jew, and He went to the cross in fulfillment of the prophesies of the messiah. He did that voluntarily for us all. I am reminded of that every day when I put that cross around my neck and of course when I look at the crucifix above my desk.
A lot of Christians forget that
that He was a Jew and a practicing Jew and a Jewish Priest on top of all of that. I think that to understand Judaism would mean to understand Christianity better.

I saw a special on PBS that showed the transition from Judaism for the first Christians (who were mostly Jews).

Everything we do (the use of candles, the use of the altar, the tabernacle, the use of bread, etc
) is based on Jewish practices. Baptism replaced circumsicion. Christ replaced animal sacrifices. It was a great documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back