Why is Jesus never on the cross in a Protestant church?

• Thread starter Thread starter Righteousone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You completely misundrstand Catholic theology here. One sacrifice for all time. It is made present to us at mass. One Sacrfice. Not two, two hundred or two thousand. One. This is one of the biggest whoppers repeated about Catholicism. If you still do not understand, please ask for additional teaching.
I said a continual sacrifice, I didn’t say many. Don’t put words in my mouth.
Also, Christ as a child was weak, coming to us in humble form. In His weakness as baby, as well as hanging on the cross, we are made strong. Through His death, we have the promise of eternal life.
No. Through His death there is forgiveness of sins (through faith in Him). Life eternal, however, is connected to His bodily resurrection. It’s His resurrected life that the believer receives, giftwise," upon belief.
He was God even in the womb -
Absolutely! Never said He wasn’t. Again, you’re putting words in my mouth.

We do not worship a tree. We worship God. The empty cross reminds us that Christ died upon the cross as the perfect sacrifice. The cross is empty because he overcame death. The crucifix has Christ dead on the cross. Protestants value the resurrection more than the sacrifice. Without the resurrection the sacrifice would have been less important. The very reason for the passion was the resurrection. It is through the resurrection that we can be assured of life eternal through Christ.
Think about this: Lazarus as well as the son of the widow of Nain (Luke 7:11) were also resurrected by the power of God, but, neither paid the price for our sins. Only Christ paid the ultimate price. Seeing Him hanging there brings me to shame, as it is my sin that he represents.

No death, no atonement for our sin.

Christ’s peace.

We do not worship a tree. We worship God. The empty cross reminds us that Christ died upon the cross as the perfect sacrifice. The cross is empty because he overcame death. The crucifix has Christ dead on the cross. Protestants value the resurrection more than the sacrifice. Without the resurrection the sacrifice would have been less important. The very reason for the passion was the resurrection. It is through the resurrection that we can be assured of life eternal through Christ.
No Christ died for our sins, not to be resurrected. The Resurrection proves that He overcame death. The Crucifixion is more important. The Crucifixion makes it certain to us that Christ suffered for us.

No Christ died for our sins, not to be resurrected. The Resurrection proves that He overcame death. The Crucifixion is more important. The Crucifixion makes it certain to us that Christ suffered for us.
I respectfully deny the truth of what you wrote.

Without the resurrection the sacrifice means very little.

I The empty cross reminds us that Christ died upon the cross as the perfect sacrifice. .
What does The Crucifix remind you of if “not” the perfect sacrifice?

What does the thieves crosses remind you of?

What does The Crucifix remind you of if “not” the perfect sacrifice?
I believe that the crucifix reminds us of the sacrifice of the perfect lamb of God, Christ. He died in redemption of our sins. And then…He rose from the grave and in doing so He gave us the promise of life eternal in Him.

The empty cross symbolizes that He died, and is no longer dead. He is not on the cross, He is at the right hand of the Father and he is with us always.

But, he is not perpetually on the cross.

Golly!! I have sent several posts about this.

OK, I’ll try again.

The sacrifice is God paying the ransom for our sin. That’s a pretty neat deal, but it doesn’t do the whole job that needed doing.

We needed a savior. Christ crucified payed the debt, but Christ resurrected gave the promise of hope in life everlasting in Him.

The paid debt doesn’t give us hope beyond the grave. It justifies us, it redeems us, but it does nothing for our eternal salvation unless Christ overcomes death. Overcoming death is what the resurrection is all about.

I respectfully deny the truth of what you wrote.

Without the resurrection the sacrifice means very little.
I find that hard to believe unless you have no understanding of Jesus being the sacrificial Lamb on Passover. It means everything. It is the moment that makes it all possible.

Just wondering why christ is never hung on a cross in a Protestant church? Are they simply ignoring the Passion? After all, He died for all and to focus on just the Ressurection is not right at all. The way He died and suffered, I would think you might emphasize it a little more. Yes, He did come back and it is great, but not to focus on His suffering is awful.
For the long answer you would have to ask a protestant.

The short answer to me seems simple, they don’t believe in Jesus.

I find that hard to believe unless you have no understanding of Jesus being the sacrificial Lamb on Passover. It means everything. It is the moment that makes it all possible.
I do not believe, and I seriously doubt that you believe that the death of Christ means everything. Without the resurrection it means little.

I do not believe, and I seriously doubt that you believe that the death of Christ means everything. Without the resurrection it means little.
Then you and I have different understanding as to what the “New Covenant” means. To me that means everything. Without the New Covenant there would be no Chrisitanity.

It is insulting to state that we just want to be different than Catholics. We actually believe that our faith is superior to yours, just as you believe that your faith is superior to ours. So quit with the slams already.
A rose by any other name…

First of all, this is our website—😛 😉
Secondly, I spent 20 years of my adult life as a protestant. Married to the PK even.

Many of the things protestants do really ARE to be different than Catholics.

Thus the name: PROTEST-ANT.
That is their motivation.

The Resurrection proves that He overcame death. The Crucifixion is more important. The Crucifixion makes it certain to us that Christ suffered for us.
It also makes certain that Jesus Christ was True God and True Man. He WAS the WORD made FLESH and dwelt among us.

"The flesh is the hinge of salvation."
-Tertullian

Then you and I have different understanding as to what the “New Covenant” means. To me that means everything. Without the New Covenant there would be no Chrisitanity.
From my understanding, Jesus is the New Covenant - not His actions.

The thing is, from His death to His resurrection - this is what bridges the gap between us and God. BUT if He had just died and was buried (even if it was at the hands of anyone else) it wouldn’t have done the job. He had to OVERCOME death to bridge that gap. His resurrection signified that He was / is God and that He had made the final sacrifice for our sinful nature. The wages of sin is Death (with finality), Christ paid that price and then rose from the dead to overcome death and make it lose it’s hold on His children.

I do think that it would not have worked if He had died of natural causes and then raised from the dead because God demanded (from what I understand) healthy sacrifices, not old or diseased, these would have displeased or even angered Him. 😊

I think we are closer than you say. The new covenant is of prime importance to me. The death of Christ isn’t the most important part of that.

If Christ had not been resurrected His death would have been in vain. He had to conquer death to fulfill the prophesies and to lay claim to being the messiah. Being killed could not have been enough.

The passion of the Christ is very important. But alone it isn’t sufficient for our salvation. It has to be coupled with His resurrection. They cannot be separated. One without the other is not enough.

hi all Christ’s death on the cross is…His love for us…our atonement for our sins…our very salvation…our forgiveness…Christ’s reserection is…God’s faithfulness…God’s promise to those who love Him by doing as HE commands us to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back