Why is Jesus never on the cross in a Protestant church?

• Thread starter Thread starter Righteousone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Golly!! I have sent several posts about this.

OK, I’ll try again.

The sacrifice is God paying the ransom for our sin. That’s a pretty neat deal, but it doesn’t do the whole job that needed doing.

We needed a savior. Christ crucified payed the debt, but Christ resurrected gave the promise of hope in life everlasting in Him.

The paid debt doesn’t give us hope beyond the grave. It justifies us, it redeems us, but it does nothing for our eternal salvation unless Christ overcomes death. Overcoming death is what the resurrection is all about.
I don’t understand…how is the death “not” the payment for our sin completely?

What else was “needed” besides the sacrifice?

The Saints’ rose from the grave “before” Jesus rose from the grave. It wasn’t Jesus’ ressurection that freed them from death, but His death. Matthew 27:52.

From my understanding, Jesus is the New Covenant - not His actions
He was/is the Paschal Lamb. Him being sacrificed has everything to do with it as to the begining of the New Covenant. Without His sacrificial death there would be no new Covenant
I do think that it would not have worked if He had died of natural causes and then raised from the dead because God demanded (from what I understand) healthy sacrifices, not old or diseased, these would have displeased or even angered Him. 😊
Exactly:thumbsup:

Namesake;3296623:
How does His rising give us the promise of eternal life?

You see the dead Christ…we see The Slain Lamb of God that prophecy spoke of…we see prophecy fullfilled. We see “it is accomplished”

Remember what happened to The Jews who forgot what God had done for them?

Some want to ignore The Passion and suffering of Christ…we don’t. We don’t want to ever forget the ultimate Martyr. That’s like forgetting the dead soldiers and only honoring the living soldiers. That’s like forgetting the Christian martyrs and only honoring the living religious leaders who haven’t proven themselves worthy of honor. I see a pattern there.

We are grateful.
You are mistaken. Protestants understand the sacrifice of Christ on the cross. You shouldn’t mistake that.

Protestants look more toward the risen Christ as our hope for salvation, life eternal through Him.

Protestants in no way diminish the sacrifice of Christ on the cross. It is vitally important. But more important, and inseparable, is the resurrection of Christ.

I don’t understand…how is the death “not” the payment for our sin completely?

What else was “needed” besides the sacrifice?

The Saints’ rose from the grave “before” Jesus rose from the grave. It wasn’t Jesus’ ressurection that freed them from death, but His death. Matthew 27:52.
His death is the payment for our sin. No question.

His resurrection is what gives us hope.

typical protestant focus on what God can give. that is another reason i would never go back to “bible church”

I think this thread begs the question,

Why do you have a problem with the crucifix?

We don’t have a problem with your empty crosses, we just prefer one with Jesus on it. It reminds us each time of the love He gave, the wounds He bore, and the price He paid. Every time I look upon the face of Christ on the cross I am reminded that every day I am to take up my own cross, and that this life I live is for Him. Every little sacrifice and burden I carry, I compare it to His, and my suffering seems like nothing.

The crucifix is an incredible tool to aid in worship. It really helps to be able to “see” Christ on the cross, rather than try to imagine it when I’m worshipping. Just as music is a tool that many evangelicals use to “get” people in the mood.

His death is the payment for our sin. No question.

His resurrection is what gives us hope.
I do believe you when you say that gives us Hope. I have no doubt in that. I just think people have different understandings as to what the New Covenant means to Catholics and some Protestants.

Mat27
Then he took a cup, gave thanks, 16 and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you,
for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.

We don’t have a problem with your empty crosses, we just prefer one with Jesus on it. It reminds us each time of the love He gave, the wounds He bore, and the price He paid. Every time I look upon the face of Christ on the cross I am reminded that every day I am to take up my own cross, and that this life I live is for Him. Every little sacrifice and burden I carry, I compare it to His, and my suffering seems like nothing.

The crucifix is an incredible tool to aid in worship. It really helps to be able to “see” Christ on the cross, rather than try to imagine it when I’m worshipping. Just as music is a tool that many evangelicals use to “get” people in the mood.
Who here has a problem with the crucifix?

This thread makes it apparent that many catholics DO have issue with the empty cross… Glad you don’t but you can’t say ‘We don’t have a problem with your empty crosses’ because many do.

We have both in our catholic Church. And now we have a big wooden one, like the real cross, in the narthex empty till good friday then it will have a purple cloke on it and then Easter it will have a white sheet on it. There are many protestant churches without any crosses at all. That is why I’m not there anymore ither.

Golly!! I have sent several posts about this.

OK, I’ll try again.

The sacrifice is God paying the ransom for our sin. That’s a pretty neat deal, but it doesn’t do the whole job that needed doing.

We needed a savior. Christ crucified payed the debt, but Christ resurrected gave the promise of hope in life everlasting in Him.

The paid debt doesn’t give us hope beyond the grave. It justifies us, it redeems us, but it does nothing for our eternal salvation unless Christ overcomes death. Overcoming death is what the resurrection is all about.
Christ did not overcome death, He overcame the grave.

Christ suffered terribly for our sins, He nore our sins on in his suffering, bleeding and death on the cross. You seem to be disregarding His suffering and shedding of blood which is for the remission of sins, and sterilizing it to make it look as if it did not happen somehow. Rising again does not give us eternal life, the shedding of His blood both at the pillar and in finality on the cross give us life. His resurrection shows us that there is life after death, but He resurrected from the tomb not the cross. the crucifixion shed His blood and killed him and that is how we are saved.

Christ stated specifically that it was His crucifixion that would draw all men unto Himself, not his resurrection. what sacrifice is there in the resurrection that would draw a suffering world to him? None. if it were all about the reward(rising again) then Christ wouldn’t have commanded us to take up our crosses and follow him, and suffer for his names sake.

That seems to be the contradiction between the original christian theology and some reformist theology. One focuses on how we can die to ourselves(sacrifice) in order to serve others and Christ and at the end receive the hope of salvation, and the other seems to focus on what they are going to get. Which one are you? I used to be the latter.

Who here has a problem with the crucifix?
Silly me. I thought this thread was about crucifixes. :rolleyes:

It has become a tit for tat on who believes what on the death and resurrection of Christ. “Bible only Christians” and Catholics believe the same on that. Too many people are unsure of what they believe and why they believe it. Protestantism was a reaction to Catholicism. Catholicism stands alone, and doesn’t need to be compared to anything to be right.

Let’s define the topic at hand.

This thread makes it apparent that many catholics DO have issue with the empty cross… Glad you don’t but you can’t say ‘We don’t have a problem with your empty crosses’ because many do.
I guess because I am a Catholic convert I have never really thought about it too much until this thread. I had always looked at from a perspective that Catholics were wrong when I was a Protestant. Now I see it as Protestanst are partially right;) I do mean that with a sincere heart. I hope nobody takes that the wrong way. That is how I feel about it now.

Christ did not overcome death, He overcame the grave.

Christ suffered terribly for our sins, He nore our sins on in his suffering, bleeding and death on the cross. You seem to be disregarding His suffering and shedding of blood which is for the remission of sins, and sterilizing it to make it look as if it did not happen somehow. Rising again does not give us eternal life, the shedding of His blood both at the pillar and in finality on the cross give us life. His resurrection shows us that there is life after death, but He resurrected from the tomb not the cross. the crucifixion shed His blood and killed him and that is how we are saved.

Christ stated specifically that it was His crucifixion that would draw all men unto Himself, not his resurrection. what sacrifice is there in the resurrection that would draw a suffering world to him? None. if it were all about the reward(rising again) then Christ wouldn’t have commanded us to take up our crosses and follow him, and suffer for his names sake.

That seems to be the contradiction between the original christian theology and some reformist theology. One focuses on how we can die to ourselves(sacrifice) in order to serve others and Christ and at the end receive the hope of salvation, and the other seems to focus on what they are going to get. Which one are you? I used to be the latter.
I don’t at all discount His sacrifice. Please do not think that I do.

I believe that the passion is vitally important to our salvation.

I also believe that without His resurrection His death on the cross would have been in vain. He predicted His resurrection and He completed that so that we would have hope beyond the forgiveness of our sin. He gave us life eternal in Him through his sacrifice and resurrection.

The Three Main Protestant Objections to the Crucifix
blog.catholic-convert.com/?p=218
The Three Main Protestant Objections to the Crucifix
Let me begin by defining “Protestant” as used in this article. First, it is used to describe the first Reformers who tore down crucifixes and crosses in the first years of the Reformation; and second, it refers to general American Evangelical-type Protestants. Granted there are many Anglican and “high” Luthers and others that do not object to the crucifix or other Christian symbolism. With that behind us, let’s begin.
The first major objection of the Protestant regarding the crucifix (an image of Christ on the cross) is that Christ is no longer on the cross–He is risen. I was raised with this observation and my friend would ridicule the Catholic traditions. My friend also challenged us when we first became Catholics, commenting, “We serve a risen Christ, not one that is still on the cross.” Unfortunately for them, since childhood my mother had valued her beautiful Christmas crèche scene. I asked the obvious: “Do you serve the risen Christ or one still in the manger?” (I also had to comment on the cute little statue of Our Lady standing over the plastic baby Jesus, along with the animals.)
Second, Protestants see the image of Christ on the cross as a violation of the command to make no graven image. The Reformers were big on this. Protestants now utilize plain crosses in their “churches,” on their walls, and around their necks, just as they have pictures of Jesus (always with soft skin and melodrama) on their walls. (I was raised with this feminine Jesus presiding, ever so romantically, over our dinner table. After spending time in the Holy Land, driving through the Judean wilderness, and ascending Mount Tabor, which he and his disciples frequented, I doubt he was so dainty and delicate; he probably had calves like a bear and smelled a bit like one as well.) However, at the turn of the this century the Protestant churches (excluding Lutheran) were still pretty much opposed to display of the cross, even the bare cross. The bare cross was not in wide use until recently, though current Protestants don’t know their own history on the matter and that their predecessors opposed it as much as they did the Crucifix.
Third, they object to the Crucifix because it is Catholic and to condone or display the Crucifix is to make a statement in favor of Catholicism. No one of “Reformed” persuasion would want to be identified as a Catholic. A bare cross seems to be generic, which is what most Protestants like–generic Christianity–with no history to criticize or Church to obey.

" he probably had calves like a bear and smelled a bit like one as well." 😛

That line killed me from that Blog.

I am Protestant. I do not in any way object to the crucifix. I love my crucifix that is on the wall above my desk. It reminds me of the sacrifice that Christ was willing to endure for me, and for all mankind.
There are exceptions to every rule. I think you are the exception.

More answers to OP’s original question:
Ecumenical Considerations
Most Protestants,
I am convinced, don’t “cross themselves” and reject the crucifix in favor of a bare cross, simply because these practices are Catholic–period. They do not think deeply on this matter, they simply try to avoid “Romish ritual”. They say cute things like “Jesus is risen and not on the cross, so why do you Catholics leave Him on the cross?”, but that is not really the reason they shun the crucifix. They shun the crucifix in principle because it is Catholic and in their heart they believe Catholic teaching and practice is unbiblical, and therefore to be avoided or rebuked, certainly not encouraged or practiced. I know, I was there as an Evangelical Protestant Christian.
This may not be the conscious action of modern Protestants, but it is certainly their heritage as the progeny of the “Reformation”. It boils down to principle, intolerance, and even pettiness. Catholics should not take down their crosses or their crucifixes to please Protestant friends. Instead, they should educate their Protestant friends to the history of the subject and expose the silly inconsistencies of the Protestant position. Protestants tend to be uninterested in church history and while they criticize Catholics for following tradition and the Pope, they slavishly follow their own Fundamentalist traditions and believe everything their pastors tell them. The difference is that the Catholic has 2,000 years of history, exegesis, and precedent, whereas the Protestant makes it up as he goes along, reinventing the wheel in thousands of differing styles and shapes with each generation.
blog.catholic-convert.com/?p=218

There are exceptions to every rule. I think you are the exception.
Maybe I am a little different, but I don’t understand that. I accept Christ crucified and I look at my crucifix every day and it remindes me of His passion.

I also understand and believe in the empty cross as a symbol of His passion and victory over death. He died on the cross, but he is no longer there because he was resurrected into life eternal with the Father.

Maybe I am a little different, but I don’t understand that. I accept Christ crucified and I look at my crucifix every day and it remindes me of His passion.

I also understand and believe in the empty cross as a symbol of His passion and victory over death. He died on the cross, but he is no longer there because he was resurrected into life eternal with the Father.
Catholics believe that too.
👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back