Why is Jesus never on the cross in a Protestant church?

• Thread starter Thread starter Righteousone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
True enough and few know how much the Holy Father does in the name of Christian unity. Especially since he answers to the Lord for all Christians. We may just see east and west reunited in our lives, after nearly 1,000 years. Now, that would be a miracle for all to behold.

Christ’s peace.
I hope he prays for me. I pray for him and his great work.

It would be my hope that some of the Reformation churches and Anglicans would join in that unity as well. A miracle? In Christ all things are possible. The thought of sharing the Eucharist with my Catholic and Orthodox brothers and sisters sends chills down my spine.

Blessings,
Jon

With both parents protestant, I was baptized and raised in a Methodist Church. I was a regular member of the choir and attended church retreats and other functions on a regular basis. With that as my background, my husband and I lived what I felt to be good lives, devoting ourselves to the community as law enforcement officers, contributing to the poor, etc. But through 34years of marriage, I felt there was something missing.

One day my husband and I decided on trying different churches and one Sunday found us in a Catholic Church. From that day, our lives were totally changed. After learning in depth what the Catholic teachings were from personal meetings with our Priest, we learned that most of the protestant misconceptions of our religion are totally false.

We do NOT worship statues or icons. We worship God. When we genuflect upon coming into Church, we are giving honor to the presence of our Creator who is present with us. When we pray before a crucifix, we are not praying to it. We are remembering our Lord’s sorrowful passion upon the cross and His debilitating torture prior to His crucifixion. We honor the Blessed Mother as the mother of God and paintings and statues of her are a reminder to us of the love she had for Him and has for us. This is similar to remembering a loved one with a photograph.

God told Moses to “make [a statue of] a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it shall live. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live” (Num. 21:8–9).

An empty cross is just that. It’s empty without the focus of the One who hung there for us.

Give me a break, are you like 14 years old? Study human nature and you will find that what I say is true.
I looked for a meta-analysis on human nature and came up empty…
No, I am not aware of any research that says only 10 percent of people are truly self reflective.
As far as my age, I do not devulge personal information on the internet.

I looked for a meta-analysis on human nature and came up empty…
I’m sure that the 15 minutes you gave your meta-analysis study was ample to come to a reasonable conclusion.
No, I am not aware of any research that says only 10 percent of people are truly self reflective.
OK wise guy, I didn’t claim this was a hard fact, read the post: I said, “Because I would guess . . .” If you choose not to believe my guess then don’t, but don’t try to interpret it as a hard fact. You are doing an excellent job of changing the subject though.
As far as my age, I do not devulge personal information on the internet.
I wasn’t asking for your age, I was making reference to the level of . . . nevermind, I don’t want you to misinterpret it again.

As this is getting way off topic, I am going to end this discussion.

Just wondering why christ is never hung on a cross in a Protestant church? Are they simply ignoring the Passion? After all, He died for all and to focus on just the Ressurection is not right at all. The way He died and suffered, I would think you might emphasize it a little more. Yes, He did come back and it is great, but not to focus on His suffering is awful.
Rom 4:25 - 5:2 "{He} who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification. Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.The cross at once reminds us of the means through which God procured our eternal salvation. A vacant cross at once reminds us that the work Christ accomplished there is forever “finished,” and this side of the cross we live in the eternal realities of that “finished” work.

The cross at once reminds us that it was on there, two-thousand years ago, that Christ shed His blood for our redemption; a vacant cross reminds us that the work of redemption was finished and, through faith in Him, we have been forever redeemed by His blood (1 Pet. 1:18-19).

The cross at once reminds us that it was there, two-thousand years ago, that Christ accomplished the work of reconciliation; a vacant cross at once reminds us that the work of reconciliation was finished and , through faith in Him, we have been forever reconciled to God (2 Cor. 5:18-19).

The cross at once reminds us that it was there, two-thousand years ago, that Christ accomplished the work of propitiation; a vacant cross at once reminds us that His propitiatory work was finished, and that God’s offended holiness, because of our sins, was forever satisfied through the precious gift of His sacrificial blood (Heb. 2:17; 1 Jn. 2:2; 4:10)

The cross at once reminds us of His humiliation; a vacant cross at once reminds us of His glorification and His continuous work now in heaven, on our behalf, as our High Priest, functioning there with all resurrection power as our Intercessor and Advocate before the Father (Heb. 7:25; 1 Jn. 2:1).

A vacant cross is a powerful reminder of the full gospel message of Christ’s death and bodily resurrection. Not only what He accomplished (past tense) for us through His death, but what He now accomplishes (present tense) for us through His subsequent bodily resurrection and ascension back into heaven.

We do not display Christ in weakness: a mere child in the arms of His mother; dead on a cross; continually sacrificed in the Eucharist; a bleeding heart in heaven. But by a vacant cross we proclaim the full power and glory of Christ and divine GRACE.

Rom 4:25 - 5:2 "{He} who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification. Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.The cross at once reminds us of the means through which God procured our eternal salvation. A vacant cross at once reminds us that the work Christ accomplished there is forever “finished,” and this side of the cross we live in the eternal realities of that “finished” work.

The cross at once reminds us that it was on there, two-thousand years ago, that Christ shed His blood for our redemption; a vacant cross reminds us that the work of redemption was finished and, through faith in Him, we have been forever redeemed by His blood (1 Pet. 1:18-19).

The cross at once reminds us that it was there, two-thousand years ago, that Christ accomplished the work of reconciliation; a vacant cross at once reminds us that the work of reconciliation was finished and , through faith in Him, we have been forever reconciled to God (2 Cor. 5:18-19).

The cross at once reminds us that it was there, two-thousand years ago, that Christ accomplished the work of propitiation; a vacant cross at once reminds us that His propitiatory work was finished, and that God’s offended holiness, because of our sins, was forever satisfied through the precious gift of His sacrificial blood (Heb. 2:17; 1 Jn. 2:2; 4:10)

The cross at once reminds us of His humiliation; a vacant cross at once reminds us of His glorification and His continuous work now in heaven, on our behalf, as our High Priest, functioning there with all resurrection power as our Intercessor and Advocate before the Father (Heb. 7:25; 1 Jn. 2:1).

A vacant cross is a powerful reminder of the full gospel message of Christ’s death and bodily resurrection. Not only what He accomplished (past tense) for us through His death, but what He now accomplishes (present tense) for us through His subsequent bodily resurrection and ascension back into heaven.

We do not display Christ in weakness: a mere child in the arms of His mother; dead on a cross; continually sacrificed in the Eucharist; a bleeding heart in heaven. But by a vacant cross we proclaim the full power and glory of Christ and divine GRACE.
Bravo!!!

We focus on the resurrection. Christ is no longer on the cross, and the tomb is empty, Christ is risen. The resurrection is the reason for the Passion.

As it happens, I have a Crucifix above my desk, but I am more impressed with the empty cross.
Empty cross?

Who are you worshipping, a tree ?

If you gonna use a something to represent a crucifixion of Jesus, use the right one…or not at all !

Empty cross?

Who are you worshipping, a tree ?

If you gonna use a something to represent a crucifixion of Jesus, use the right one…or not at all !
We do not worship a tree. We worship God. The empty cross reminds us that Christ died upon the cross as the perfect sacrifice. The cross is empty because he overcame death. The crucifix has Christ dead on the cross. Protestants value the resurrection more than the sacrifice. Without the resurrection the sacrifice would have been less important. The very reason for the passion was the resurrection. It is through the resurrection that we can be assured of life eternal through Christ.

I would like that add that without the cross, there is no resurrection. These two are one. Jesus’ death on the cross destroyed our death, and his rising restore our life.

I don’t think we can separate the two. Jesus often said we must take up our cross.

Christ on the Cross is weakness. Christ on the Cross is THE most powerful thing that was done for humanity.

Again, Christ did not rise from the cross, He died on it and the power we have is rooted in the cricifixion. There is no eternal life without His sacrifice.

Christ was taken down from the cross by His mother, John and a few others.

Christ was buried in a tomb(cave) for three days and rose from the dead in that cave.
He then walked out.

Therfore your identification with the empty cross being a risen Christ is not founded in scripture.

A sculpture of an empty tomb would be far more true and effective in the claims you are trying to make.

Christ had not defeated the cross, He died on it for our sins, His shed blood which saves is the sacrifice. That same -one- sacrifice is re presented at every single mass, every single hour of every single day in the world. The one sacrifice continues until He comes again, else no one could be saved. Period.

Christ said tha He would draw all men unto Himself through His crucifixion, the way in which he would die. On a cross.
john 12:32-33

I just came from adoring Christ in the Eucharist at my Church. Praise God for this miracle which is the typological fulfillment of the Manna in the desert, the True Bread from Heaven of which I can eat of and not die. My flesh is true food(food indeed) and my blood true drink He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and I will raise him on the last day.

This topic is not about the Eucharist, but since some people have attacked the Eucharist(Christ) I could not help but defend our Lord and His True Presence. I apologise if I was off topic toward the end of this thread.

peace, Justin

I would like that add that without the cross, there is no resurrection. These two are one. Jesus’ death on the cross destroyed our death, and his rising restore our life.

I don’t think we can separate the two. Jesus often said we must take up our cross.
I agree that the two can’t be separated. I disagree with you when you say that Christ’s death on the cross destroyed our death. His death paid the ransom for our sins, and his resurrection promised our eternal life in Him. Pretty close to the same thing as you said.

Christ on the Cross is weakness. Christ on the Cross is THE most powerful thing that was done for humanity.
I do not agree. Christ risen was the most powerful thing. Anyone can die on a cross. Much more is required to be resurrected.

but there is no eternal life without the death. The sacrifice was everything. God suffering and dying basically, for me.

How can Christ draw all men unto Himself through His crucifixion as scripture states, if you cannot see it?

Again, Christ did not rise from the cross, He died on it and the power we have is rooted in the cricifixion. There is no eternal life without His sacrifice.

Christ was taken down from the cross by His mother, John and a few others.

Christ was buried in a tomb(cave) for three days and rose from the dead in that cave.
He then walked out.

Therfore your identification with the empty cross being a risen Christ is not founded in scripture.

A sculpture of an empty tomb would be far more true and effective in the claims you are trying to make.

Christ had not defeated the cross, He died on it for our sins, His shed blood which saves is the sacrifice. That same -one- sacrifice is re presented at every single mass, every single hour of every single day in the world. The one sacrifice continues until He comes again, else no one could be saved. Period.

Christ said tha He would draw all men unto Himself through His crucifixion, the way in which he would die. On a cross.
john 12:32-33
Oh come now! Christ absent from the cross symbolizes His sacrifice and His resurrection. Protestants believe in Christ crucified, and resurrected. But the real promise is the resurrection, while still observing the significance of the crucifixion.

but there is no eternal life without the death. The sacrifice was everything. God suffering and dying basically, for me.

How can Christ draw all men unto Himself through His crucifixion as scripture states, if you cannot see it?
The sacrifice was not in any way everything. Without the resurrection the sacrifice was not all that significant. Christ dead and buried doesn’t hold much hope. Christ resurrected gives hope.

We do not worship a tree. We worship God. The empty cross reminds us that Christ died upon the cross as the perfect sacrifice. The cross is empty because he overcame death. The crucifix has Christ dead on the cross. Protestants value the resurrection more than the sacrifice. Without the resurrection the sacrifice would have been less important. The very reason for the passion was the resurrection. It is through the resurrection that we can be assured of life eternal through Christ.
Only you know that. To anyone else, it’s only a tree.

Like I said, if you gonna represent his crucifixion, do it correctly, with his corpus.

You should value both, sacrifice and resurrection.

You cannot have one without the other, period.

You wouldn’t have eternal life if He didn’t die for your sins first.

I disagree with you when you say that Christ’s death on the cross destroyed our death. His death paid the ransom for our sins, and his resurrection promised our eternal life in Him. Pretty close to the same thing as you said.
You’re going around in circle.

Sin is death

Only you know that. To anyone else, it’s only a tree.

Like I said, if you gonna represent his crucifixion, do it correctly, with his corpus.

You should value both, sacrifice and resurrection.

You cannot have one without the other, period.

You wouldn’t have eternal life if He didn’t die for your sins first.
I can tell that you won’t be swayed. Protestants value both the sacrifice and the resurrection. We value both!

But, we value the resurrection above all because without the resurrection the sacrifice would be less important.

I do not agree. Christ risen was the most powerful thing. Anyone can die on a cross. Much more is required to be resurrected.
The question is not anyone can.

The question is who dies ?

You’re losing the focus there. See where it gets you when you missed the importance of the cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back