Why is Jesus never on the cross in a Protestant church?

• Thread starter Thread starter Righteousone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen! I have emailed the local baptist pastor many of times, asking him questions of what he preaches concerning the book of rev. and i have not gotten one freaking response. What a coward!
No doubt he is afraid of your brilliant apologetic.

Amen! I have emailed the local baptist pastor many of times, asking him questions of what he preaches concerning the book of rev. and i have not gotten one freaking response. What a coward!
You think he’s a “coward” because he elects not to argue with you? Seems to me that he might be exercising good judgment.

You think he’s a “coward” because he elects not to argue with you? Seems to me that he might be exercising good judgment.
Be truthful with yourself, you would say the same thing if a Catholic declined to discuss/debate/argue/etc. with you.

We focus on the resurrection. Christ is no longer on the cross, and the tomb is empty, Christ is risen. The resurrection is the reason for the Passion.

As it happens, I have a Crucifix above my desk, but I am more impressed with the empty cross.
So, was St. Paul wrong?

CDL

:o
I do not answer my emails when people I do not know email me. Why should I? IF I emailed the local priest, which I would not, why would I expect him to answer me?
Get real…

:o

I do not answer my emails when people I do not know email me. Why should I? IF I emailed the local priest, which I would not, why would I expect him to answer me?
Get real…
I would expect him to answer you… part of the job description. But the reality is that many priests either don’t make the time, or don’t have sufficient background other than the sacraments.

Then again… depends on the question huh?

I think the emphasis is on His resurrection in Protestant churches, though I would be hard pressed to give a definitive answer. It is still a remembrance of His death, but again, I have no good answer for that. Maybe to be different from Catholics? (Seems like many things in Protestant churches are different just to be…)
Amen! Once you separate, you have to both continue and justify that separation. Thus, the empty cross, which was the universal sign of death at the time. Only with Christ’s sacrifice was the symbol of death converted to the symbol of eternal life.

Also, Christ’s Body is our sin hanging there. That is just too ugly for some to gaze upon, or ponder.

Christ’s peace.

Amen! Once you separate, you have to both continue and justify that separation.

Christ’s peace.
This is way off the thread, but I not convinced that is so. Since Vatican II, there have been decades of discussions between Rome and Lutherans (and others) working to close the gap and move toward closer relations. Sometimes it seems our respective leaders have more compassion and charity toward each other than the laity. I pray the Holy Spirit help us to reunite, not separate us further.

Blessings,
Jon

Any of you see the New York Giants win the Superbowl trophy? I saw people hugging, kissing and touching it lovingly. They did not believe it was a special god…just a trophy. It represented the sweat, tears, bruises, and broken bones that went into earning the trophy. It wouldn’t matter whether the trophy was made out of wood or a precious metal. It symbolized their victory over hardship. It was in the shape of a football but they knew it was neither a football nor a god. The fact that it was in the shape of a football and not in the shape of a football field was to put emphasis on the “active” side of the game. It is the ball that goes on the journey to win the prize. The field is merely the “setting” for the game.
I am writing this in parable style. Do you see where I am going with this?

Any of you see the New York Giants win the Superbowl trophy? I saw people hugging, kissing and touching it lovingly. They did not believe it was a special god…just a trophy. It represented the sweat, tears, bruises, and broken bones that went into earning the trophy. It wouldn’t matter whether the trophy was made out of wood or a precious metal. It symbolized their victory over hardship. It was in the shape of a football but they knew it was neither a football nor a god. The fact that it was in the shape of a football and not in the shape of a football field was to put emphasis on the “active” side of the game. It is the ball that goes on the journey to win the prize. The field is merely the “setting” for the game.
I am writing this in parable style. Do you see where I am going with this?
sort of… but what about the cross-stitching of the laces?:rolleyes:

sort of… but what about the cross-stitching of the laces?:rolleyes:
You saw a touch of Christian symbolism in the trophy! 👍
Maybe you can add more to the parable.
I love it when God speaks to us through every day things!

Sorry. I wasn’t ignoring you I went to Mass it is Ash Wednesday. And I have the dirty face to prove it.

I meant consensus.
I didn’t think you were ignoring me, actually I slipped on earlier while I was at work so I didn’t even know you hadn’t responed 🙂 😊

Be truthful with yourself, you would say the same thing if a Catholic declined to discuss/debate/argue/etc. with you.
Yes

BTW, we’ve never met so I wonder where you get off questioning my truthfulness?

Yes

BTW, we’ve never met so I wonder where you get off questioning my truthfulness?
Because I would guess that over 90% of people have a major problem when it comes to being truly and honestly self reflective. The statement wasn’t meant as a personal attack upon you. I really think that too many people come to these forums ready for a fight and do everything they can to turn debates and discussions into arguments and fights.

Because I would guess that over 90% of people have a major problem when it comes to being truly and honestly self reflective. The statement wasn’t meant as a personal attack upon you. I really think that too many people come to these forums ready for a fight and do everything they can to turn debates and discussions into arguments and fights.
That is absurd. How does one achieve the amount of confidence to make such a statement? How does one ascertain such a personal thought process in another person as well?

Just wondering why christ is never hung on a cross in a Protestant church? Are they simply ignoring the Passion? After all, He died for all and to focus on just the Ressurection is not right at all. The way He died and suffered, I would think you might emphasize it a little more. Yes, He did come back and it is great, but not to focus on His suffering is awful.
I may be wrong however I believe that Protestants believe that the Resurrection is more important than the Crucifixion. Just a guess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back