Why is Jesus never on the cross in a Protestant church?

• Thread starter Thread starter Righteousone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is way off the thread, but I not convinced that is so. Since Vatican II, there have been decades of discussions between Rome and Lutherans (and others) working to close the gap and move toward closer relations. Sometimes it seems our respective leaders have more compassion and charity toward each other than the laity. I pray the Holy Spirit help us to reunite, not separate us further.

Blessings,
Jon
True enough and few know how much the Holy Father does in the name of Christian unity. Especially since he answers to the Lord for all Christians. We may just see east and west reunited in our lives, after nearly 1,000 years. Now, that would be a miracle for all to behold.

Christ’s peace.

That is absurd. How does one achieve the amount of confidence to make such a statement? How does one ascertain such a personal thought process in another person as well?
Give me a break, are you like 14 years old? Study human nature and you will find that what I say is true.

I may be wrong however I believe that Protestants believe that the Resurrection is more important than the Crucifixion. Just a guess though.
But Jesus needed to die first in order to be Resurrected. He died first. He died for us. It was a horrendous death. A death He voluntarily gave up. He died first.😦

But Jesus needed to die first in order to be Resurrected. He died first. He died for us. It was a horrendous death. A death He voluntarily gave up. He died first.😦
No suffering and death, no salvation. The resurrection was the icing on the cake - the promise fulfilled. Notice, as Christ bowed His head on the cross, he said, “It is finished” (His work of redemption).

Christ’s peace.

I’m new here, but I figurered I may as well put my 2 cents in. First of all, I want to say thanks to whoever put these forums together because it gives all of us Christians a chance to discuss questions and ideas we have. I am a Protestant, but I have a lot of respect and love for the Catholic Church and its traditions. To answer the crucifix question: does it really matter? Early Christian art did focus on the risen Christ, but it does not make it heresy or a “graven image” to have a Christ on a cross. It’s funny to me how my fellow Protestants create their own idols out of Jesus with WWJD or Christian t-shirts, but they have a problem with a crucifix. I think it’s more of an anti-Catholic thing due to the fact that so many Protestant churches (especially Southern Baptist) slam Catholics on a regular basis. What a shame. In that sense, who is the hypocrite?

Thanks to you, my Catholic brethren, for all you bring to the table. the next time anyone questions your faith, salvation, or the legitimacy of your Church, remind them that only one church has stood for over 2,000 years, and that is the Catholic Church. Also, remind them that the theology they stand on, and many of the people they quote comes directly from early Christians…who made it clear they were Catholics.

I’m new here, but I figurered I may as well put my 2 cents in. First of all, I want to say thanks to whoever put these forums together because it gives all of us Christians a chance to discuss questions and ideas we have. I am a Protestant, but I have a lot of respect and love for the Catholic Church and its traditions. To answer the crucifix question: does it really matter? Early Christian art did focus on the risen Christ, but it does not make it heresy or a “graven image” to have a Christ on a cross. It’s funny to me how my fellow Protestants create their own idols out of Jesus with WWJD or Christian t-shirts, but they have a problem with a crucifix. I think it’s more of an anti-Catholic thing due to the fact that so many Protestant churches (especially Southern Baptist) slam Catholics on a regular basis. What a shame. In that sense, who is the hypocrite?

Thanks to you, my Catholic brethren, for all you bring to the table. the next time anyone questions your faith, salvation, or the legitimacy of your Church, remind them that only one church has stood for over 2,000 years, and that is the Catholic Church. Also, remind them that the theology they stand on, and many of the people they quote comes directly from early Christians…who made it clear they were Catholics.
As a former protestant I feel you added a great contribution to this thread. Good summary from a perspective that is missed on either sides.

Peace Be With You

We are sent to call all Christians to unity, through teaching the fullness of Christ. Many of us have come to Catholicism from other belief systems, and cannot go anywhere else, as other churches feel somehow “empty”. There is great truth in your church, but the ancient church believes in more. More Sacraments, more scripture and more tradition.

Anyway, many who do not like the crucifix have some sort of other symbol, as you have wisely noted. They sometimes forget that, without His death on the cross, there is no salvation. Certainly, his resurrection is important, but Jesus said “It is finished” while he hung on the cross. Paul preached “Christ, and Christ crucified”. Again, His sacrificed Body represents our sin, and the method in which He paid the price for us. It is too ugly for some to look at, but we need reminding, so that’s why He is there, and that is one way we honor Him.

Christ’s peace, and keep coming back. We are delighted to converse with you.

No suffering and death, no salvation. The resurrection was the icing on the cake - the promise fulfilled. Notice, as Christ bowed His head on the cross, he said, “It is finished” (His work of redemption).

Christ’s peace.
But dying so we can live is the message here.

Just wondering why christ is never hung on a cross in a Protestant church? Are they simply ignoring the Passion? After all, He died for all and to focus on just the Ressurection is not right at all. The way He died and suffered, I would think you might emphasize it a little more. Yes, He did come back and it is great, but not to focus on His suffering is awful.
I never heard any of my pastors discuss the issue of why. Growing up in my Southern Baptist Church we just never thought about it. We did (and they still do) have a huge empty cross in our sanctuary above the baptismal pool. I didn’t go to a Catholic church for a visit till I was over 30 years old and saw a huge crucifix in the sanctuary(?). It was (and is) beautiful.

My thought on it is the “graven image” piece in the Ten Commandments and what others have offered about the resurrection. That’s just what comes to mind.

In my family, however, we had crucifixes on our walls and necklaces. I never thought it was good or bad either way to have him on or off the cross. I figured both were okay.

We always focused on the suffering of Christ and his passion. Our hymns declared it (Old Rugged Cross) and many others. The preaching was often about the death of Jesus and his payment of the sin debt. I don’t think it’s accurate to say that protestant churches who don’t have crucifixes aren’t focusing on His suffering just because of the lack of the crucifix.

When I was about 12 years old, there was a deaf/mute veteran in front of Wal-Mart selling crucifix necklaces for a couple dollars. My father bought one for me. I remember it to this day. I loved it and wear it to this day some 24 years later. My family never had a problem with crucifixes and we were faithful Southern Baptists.

Peace…

MW

But dying so we can live is the message here.
Exactly! We need to be reminded of this as often as possible. An empty cross causes you to focus on the cross. Who even notices the cross when Christ is hanging on it? The cross os the medium, but Christ is the message.

Christ’s peace.

I love to hear these good posts from southern baptists! Im from south texas and the baptist here seem to be anti-catholic. The more good comments i hear from baptists make me feel just a lil better about their ways of worship.😃

While I go to a Southern Baptist church, I consider myself more of a Presbyterian. I went to a Southern Baptist school, and it was while I was there that my opinions changed after having teachers trying to tell me what to think.

I think it is just an indictment on the part of Baptists and any others who slander what they do not know. If they would bother to look back at the 1940’s and 1950’s, they would see that it was the Catholic parish that helped hold a great deal of the country together, especially on the east coast. Some Southern Baptists are just ill-informed, but at the same time I have met some Catholics who think they are all the rage. They believe some things that are not very Biblical. But irregardless, ecuminism, I think is something we all need to be partaking in. It might also help if we would start attending each others’ churches once in a while, as well.

I will be attending a southern baptist church soon for a baptism. Im eager to go and see how things are, but also scared to hear my faith bashed. Not sure what i might say in defense.😉

The sad thing is there may not be much that you can say. So many people in other churches already have pre-concieved notions that they will not allow to be changed. The best defense? If someone comes in a spirit of humility and curiosity, tell them you would love to talk if they truly want to have an open and ecuminical dialogue. At least, that is what I would say.

Or you could be bold and tell them to be quiet, and come back for a discussion when they have learned to think for themselves

lol, the sad thing is that is probably the route i would take, and it would probably be 1/2 as nice.😉

You know, if i heard my Priest say something terrible about my husbands SB faith, i would say something to him too! I just dont agree with faith bashing, im ok with debating, but not judge!😃

I love to hear these good posts from southern baptists! Im from south texas and the baptist here seem to be anti-catholic. The more good comments i hear from baptists make me feel just a lil better about their ways of worship.😃
Yeah, it’s strange. I don’t remember any bad things said in our church about Catholics. I went to the same one from birth till I was 23. Our pastor’s messages were more about Bible exposition and growing spiritually.

We didn’t have much time to slam other denominations. I actually remember my pastor speaking of all our brothers and sisters, from Methodists, Lutherans and other denominations that would also be in heaven. It was much more about working out our own salvation instead of working out someone else’s for them 😃

Oh, I know there are probably many of my churches back home who preach anti-Catholicism. Mine just wasn’t one of them. It’s sad that some preach anti-Catholicism. Our church focused on foreign missions for those people who had never heard of Christ, not on Jews, Catholics, or Christian denominations.

By the way, I don’t follow the Baptist church anymore. I attend a Lutheran church, but am not a member.

Peace…

MW

I will be attending a southern baptist church soon for a baptism. Im eager to go and see how things are, but also scared to hear my faith bashed. Not sure what i might say in defense.😉
The baptism usually is after the service, so you’ll have to sit through a sermon. 😃 If the pastor says something (as he is preaching) that you don’t like, just let it go in one ear and out the other (and remind yourself that he is just being ignorant). If someone tries to do so on a personal basis then just tell them you don’t agree with that and would like to just keep things peaceful.

Peace…

MW

The main reason is this"

“Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:”

End of Thread;)
Let’s analyze this carefully. From my reading this, it is clear that God is saying this to tell us not to worship other things(Idolatry). Why do I say that? Here is why.

In plain language, this is what it says.

Don’t make carved images of anything in heaven or above or on the earth or in the water. Don’t worship them.

It is basically saying: Don’t make images “and” don’t worship them. Instead of using “and” and putting it all in one sentence, a period is used to express this Idea in two sentences.

It is similar to saying don’t kill pigeons. Don’t feed them to cats.
It could also be stated as, Don’t kill pigeons and feed them to cats.

I’m pretty sure his objection was not on the making of these Images, but the worshiping of these.

Also, It seems silly to believe that one sins by drawing pictures of whales, or earthworms. Not to mention that Images of other things like, angels, were put in Solomon’s temple (by God’s Instruction).

God doesn’t contradict himself. By examining these facts, it is clear that the notion that iconoclasm is wrong.

**Note: some of the above may not be correct. Please correct me if I’m wrong. **

well, if people actually “worshiped” or “idolized” images, this would come into play. But from what i know, catholics nor protestants “worship” anything except Jesus.

Let’s analyze this carefully. From my reading this, it is clear that God is saying this to tell us not to worship other things(Idolatry). Why do I say that? Here is why.

In plain language, this is what it says.

Don’t make carved images of anything in heaven or above or on the earth or in the water. Don’t worship them.

It is basically saying: Don’t make images “and” don’t worship them. Instead of using “and” and putting it all in one sentence, a period is used to express this Idea in two sentences.

It is similar to saying don’t kill pigeons. Don’t feed them to cats.
It could also be stated as, Don’t kill pigeons and feed them to cats.

I’m pretty sure his objection was not on the making of these Images, but the worshiping of these.

Also, It seems silly to believe that one sins by drawing pictures of whales, or earthworms. Not to mention that Images of other things like, angels, were put in Solomon’s temple (by God’s Instruction).

God doesn’t contradict himself. By examining these facts, it is clear that the notion that iconoclasm is wrong.

**Note: some of the above may not be correct. Please correct me if I’m wrong. **
I think you summed it up pretty good. I hope you see that I am not saying not to have a Crucifix on a wall. I am a Catholic Convert by the way.

One thing to point out is the fact that there are many,many protestants who take that part of the commandments and run with it. They think the Catholics are being disobedient from the get go,however, they forget to realize that God is stating exactly what you mentioned with your post. We know that because soon after these commandments he instructs the Ark of the Covenant to be built. We are also are aware of what the temple is supposed to look like,too. There are plenty of “graven images” throughout the Bible as there are today. We just don’t worship them like the people did with golden calf.

Peace Be With You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back