Why is the Catholic Religion the truth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter slowly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slowly

Guest
Hi

I am looking for a few good reasons why Catholics believe that their Religion is true.

For example I realize that historical evidence from scriptures is generally used as an argument for it being true. However, since all Religions have some sort of historical grounding of their scriptures, this is not enough. I am looking for those two or three key aspects that make the Catholic Church stand out clearly as the only true Religion.

Thanks
 
Hi

I am looking for a few good reasons why Catholics believe that their Religion is true.

For example I realize that historical evidence from scriptures is generally used as an argument for it being true. However, since all Religions have some sort of historical grounding of their scriptures, this is not enough. …
This article may be just what you had in mind:

Proving Inspiration
 
This article may be just what you had in mind:

Proving Inspiration
That is a good start, DeFide, because the questioner here most probably believes in the inspiration of the bible. But you now have him consider: how does he know that? 🙂

It is a profound question that I find few non-Catholics able to answer.

Anyway, I would also add that historically, the Catholic Church is the oldest Church, the only Church who can make the case of being the original Church from the time of Pentecost and from the end of the apostolic erea. All one needs to do, for a start, is to read the writings of the early church fathers!

That did it for me big time back in the early 1950’s when I first investigated the claims of all churches, finding myself zeroing-in on the only church who could make such a claim.

THE ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH

Founder: Jesus Christ, A.D. 33

Present human caretaker here on earth: Benedict XVI .gif

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Pillar and Foundation of Truth, the Church. (1 Tim 3:15)
 
This article may be just what you had in mind:

Proving Inspiration
Thanks, this gives me something to work with.

As far as I understand it the authority of the Church is based on the historicity of the Bible, and the Church tells us that the Bible is the inspired word of God. I think I get it.

This argument is still based on the historical validity of the Bible, not? If that goes away then the Church has no authority, am I right? It appears also that this argument is directed against other Christian based Religions but I am also considering Islam, Hindu, Jewish faiths etc.

If I understand this correctly then I still have to compare the historical arguments for Catholicism with the historical arguments for all other the other Religions. I was hoping to avoid this.

What I am looking for is some piece of doctrine or belief or sign that clearly points to Catholicism as the one true Religion amongst all 10 000 Religions.
 
Thanks, this gives me something to work with.

As far as I understand it the authority of the Church is based on the historicity of the Bible, and the Church tells us that the Bible is the inspired word of God. I think I get it.

This argument is still based on the historical validity of the Bible, not? If that goes away then the Church has no authority, am I right?
Actually, even if the Bible was just another set of the large amount of the historical proof the the Church (including writings of the “Early Church Fathers” and other historians), but not necessarily inspired, you’d still have the evidence you’d need for the divinity of Christ and the nature of the Church he established. Indeed, the Church functioned quite well before the New Testament was penned, and continued to function authoritatively even before the first canon of inspired Scriptures were drawn up by the Church in A.D. 382.
It appears also that this argument is directed against other Christian based Religions but I am also considering Islam, Hindu, Jewish faiths etc.
It works against Islam even better. You’ll have to follow other leads regard Hinduism and Judaism (the version that rejects Christ since you cannot be more Jewish than to be Catholic), such as the Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft.
If I understand this correctly then I still have to compare the historical arguments for Catholicism with the historical arguments for all other the other Religions. I was hoping to avoid this.

What I am looking for is some piece of doctrine or belief or sign that clearly points to Catholicism as the one true Religion amongst all 10 000 Religions.
I don’t think you’ll have to wade throught that many. I think with the article you read and Kreeft’s book, you’ll have it narrowed down in no time.

The articles on Catholic.com don’t hurt either.
 
Thanks, this gives me something to work with.

As far as I understand it the authority of the Church is based on the historicity of the Bible, and the Church tells us that the Bible is the inspired word of God. I think I get it.
No–that’s a common misconception. 🙂 The Church was founded on Christ and the Apostles not on any book, inspired or not.
This argument is still based on the historical validity of the Bible, not? If that goes away then the Church has no authority, am I right? It appears also that this argument is directed against other Christian based Religions but I am also considering Islam, Hindu, Jewish faiths etc.
The Bible is a large part of the Catholic faith, but the Catholic Church was not founded on the Bible or its historical validity. And Catholic apologists aren’t trying to attack anyone else’s beliefs, but defend those of the Catholic Church.

As to Hinduism, that is not an historical faith–it does not claim to be a revelation of God to man within time. Only 3 major faiths make that claim: Judaism (from which Catholicism came), Catholicism, and Islam.
If I understand this correctly then I still have to compare the historical arguments for Catholicism with the historical arguments for all other the other Religions. I was hoping to avoid this.
You don’t have to do that as only 3 of the world’s major religions are history-based.
What I am looking for is some piece of doctrine or belief or sign that clearly points to Catholicism as the one true Religion amongst all 10 000 Religions.
Catholicism claims that it is the religion of Christ, the Messiah of Israel (although modern Judaism does not recognize this claim). It teaches that Jesus was born of a virgin, lived his life as a Jewish man–a rabbi, died on the cross to redeem us from our sins, and (here’s the clincher) that he rose from the dead. Jesus is the only historical religious leader who has risen from the dead. This is key. For without a real resurrection of Christ, there is no Catholic religion.

As for Protestant faiths, they all had their origins in Catholicism, directly or indirectly.
 
The guarantor is Jesus Christ. Everything really depends on him.

Let’s examine the guarantor.

–Jesus was a good man.

–Jesus claimed to be divine and the son of God.

–Jesus voluntarily died upon the cross for us.

–Jesus established a Church.

–Jesus rose from the dead.

If Jesus was not a good man he would not have made the claim that he was God and that he would rise again from the dead. Only a bad person with an ulterior motive or an insane person would do such a thing. Everyone believes that Jesus was a good person even if they don’t believe he is God. Moreover, virtually no one believes that Jesus was a crazy or insane man.

Jesus, the guarantor, did exactly what he said he would do. He worked many miracles and signs attesting to his divinity. He laid his life down upon the cross. He rose again on the third day, and he established a Church.

Jesus also said that he would be with his Church until the end of time and that the gates of hell would never prevail against his Church. He established one Church and it is still with us even after 2000 plus years of worldly turmoil both within and without. The Catholic Church is the body of Christ and is an incredible work of God within our midst.
 
Actually, even if the Bible was just another set of the large amount of the historical proof the the Church (including writings of the “Early Church Fathers” and other historians), but not necessarily inspired, you’d still have the evidence you’d need for the divinity of Christ and the nature of the Church he established. Indeed, the Church functioned quite well before the New Testament was penned, and continued to function authoritatively even before the first canon of inspired Scriptures were drawn up by the Church in A.D. 382.
Let me try again: Unless I accept the historical evidence (whatever this may entail, the Bible, other writings from early Church Fathers, etc) for the Church’s authority and Jesus’s divinity (and I am not saying I don’t), then the entire article does not help me a lot in establishing the truth of the Catholic Church. What I am trying to say is that I understand this argument to be entirely based on assumptions of historical authenticity. If the historical evidence is in doubt (hypothetically) then the entire argument would be groundless. Is this correct?
It works against Islam even better. You’ll have to follow other leads regard Hinduism and Judaism (the version that rejects Christ since you cannot be more Jewish than to be Catholic), such as the Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft.
Islam’s historical evidence relates mostly to the life and words of the prophet Mohamed. How does this relate to the article? (Please spell it out for me. I want to understand it.)

In fact, I cannot see how the article can have any bearing on any Religion that does not accept the evidence (Bible and other historical writings) for the authority of the Catholic Church or the divinity of Christ.

So what I am saying is that if have to choose between for example Mormonism and Catholocism, I have to compare the historical evidence of Mormonism with the historical evidence of the Catholic Church. This does not appear to be so simple. There are millions of Mormons that accept the historical validity of the Mormon beliefs, and probably billions of Catholics who believe the same about theirs. Clearly the historical argument cannot be settled in a trivial way. And by “settle” I do not mean for a Catholic to be convinced about his/her own Religious evidence and a Mormon about his/her evidence. If Mormons did not make a convincing argument for their Religion’s historical evidence then they would not have had many followers.
I don’t think you’ll have to wade throught that many. I think with the article you read and Kreeft’s book, you’ll have it narrowed down in no time.

The articles on Catholic.com don’t hurt either.
Thanks for this reference. Hopefully you are right about having “it narrowed down in no time”. I have one concern though. Clearly Peter Creeft is a Christian appologist. He is passionate and informed about Christianity. It would be unfair of me not also to read appologist writings about all the other Religions written by equally passionate and informed writers. I would not want to make a conclusion about something as important as Religion without hearing out the other sides as well. I doubt that you will trust a Mormon to fairly represent the Catholic Church in a Mormon appology. In the same way I cannot trust a passionate Christian appologist to fairly represent any non-Christian Religion.

So, it seems I have my reading cut out for me (10 000 appologies 🙂 ). No seriously, I am not sure what I am going to do here. I was hoping there would be some simple and self -evident characteristic about the Catholic Church that I could use.

Thanks very much though for your effort so far.
 
40.png
slowly:
I was hoping there would be some simple and self -evident characteristic about the Catholic Church that I could use.
Here is the creed of the Catholic Church, will that serve?

+Nicene Creed+

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in being with the Father. Through Him all things were made. For us men and our salvation He came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit, He was born of the Virgin Mary , and became man. For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate; He suffered, died, and was buried. On the third day He rose again in fulfillment of the scriptures: He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son, He is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.
 
So, it seems I have my reading cut out for me (10 000 appologies 🙂 ). No seriously, I am not sure what I am going to do here. I was hoping there would be some simple and self -evident characteristic about the Catholic Church that I could use.
Way do you want a shortcut? The search for truth should take a lifetime. I completely agree that you should find the best arguments and evidence for each religion and well as atheism/agnosticism. If finding the truth was simple and easy then God’s creation would be boring. Even if you decide that the Catholic faith is true, we freely admit that Catholicism is not an end but a lifelong process.

It may be difficult. It can be confusing. It IS possible to find the truth beyond a reasonable doubt. The first step is to start praying that God will lead you to the truth. He is infinite and we are finite. We can not grasp the infinite on our own finite intellect.
 
We believe that the Catholic Church is the one true Church because of a PERSON: JESUS CHRIST.

So… this takes away all other religions. (Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, Paganism, etc.)

We then believe the WORDS of Christ… what was “handed down” through Tradition (Scripture is WRITTEN Tradition). We belive Christ left behind a Church. (a Church is a BODY of BELIEVERS… clearly VISIBLE).

The word “Catholic” comes from the greek word: Kataholikos… meaning… “UNIVERSAL.”

There were four marks of the Church: One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic.

The Churchs was called “catholic.” Refering to it being FOR ALL… UNIVERSAL. (not just for Jews, not just for Greeks, not just for the rich, not just for the poor, etc)

This Church stands today… however, splinters have fallen from her. The Eastern Orthodox left in the 11th century… and then the “reformers” broke off in the 16th century. Today you have thousands upon thousands of “denominations”… those that came from THE Catholic Church… who still stands today… and always will.
 
Hi

I am looking for a few good reasons why Catholics believe that their Religion is true.

For example I realize that historical evidence from scriptures is generally used as an argument for it being true. However, since all Religions have some sort of historical grounding of their scriptures, this is not enough. I am looking for those two or three key aspects that make the Catholic Church stand out clearly as the only true Religion.
Every religion is slightly different. Some things you can ask are “did the founder really exist?”. In the case of Hinduism this is probably “no”. In the case of Islam, Buddhism, and Christianity there were people called Mohammed, Gautama Buddah, and Jesus. The you can ask “was the founder an edifying man?”. That pretty much rules out Islam.

Buddah was an Indian Prince who attained enlightenment under a lotus tree. It is really much more of a philosophy than a religion. Being a Christian doesn’t commit you to the notion that Buddah was an idiot, but, in the nature of things, early theories about human nature and the mind are unlikely to stand up to modern psychology.

When we move to Christian religions, quite clearly the Catholic church has the only credible claim to being the one true article. Protestants usually claim to be restoring the Church to its first-century purity. Mostly the claims are simply implausible to anyone with any historical knowledge. The Eastern Orthodox admit that there has been a tragic schism and that Western and Eastern bishops have gone their separate paths. However thier case is that we now have a split Church, whilst the Catholic is that we now have a Church and a splinter. The SSPX schism is laughable - a traditionalist movement not loyal to the Pope has nothing going for it.

When scholarship brings it razor to bear, the main claims of the Catholic Church remain unscathed. That tends not to be true of any other religion. However the precise point at which they fail varies.
 
From my personal point of view,

Because who would you call if you needed an exorcist?

Because the Catholic Church has had the most positive effect on human history.

Because if you pray for God to show you the right way to him, you will end up Catholic.
 
Jesus said,“I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father except by me”.
Without seeming presumptious, why would someone need the Catholic church, if what Jesus said is true.
Catholic dogma states that the Apostle Peter was the first Pope. Is the entire basis for this belief found in Matthew 16:18? And if this is true, then it would seem logical to conclude that the Bible preceded the Catholic church.
“We are saved by grace through faith, not of works, lest any man boast”. God’s grace, and my faith is all that is needed for salvation according to the Bible.
Slowly is searching for the true church, as am I. According to the Bible, Jesus is the head of the church, and the elect (the true believers) are the body. So the church is comprised of Jesus and the believers…according to the Bible.
In Catholicism the Pope is the head of the Catholic church. Who then who is the head of the church? Is God’s church the Catholic church? Or is it Jesus and the elect? Or both?
I agree with slowly, is it really this complicated? If so, how did the thief on the cross make it to heaven? All he did was believe, he wasn’t a Catholic…and wasn’t even baptised!

God Bless,
Robert
 
Jesus said,“I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father except by me”.

Without seeming presumptious, why would someone need the Catholic church, if what Jesus said is true.
Catholic dogma states that the Apostle Peter was the first Pope. Is the entire basis for this belief found in Matthew 16:18? And if this is true, then it would seem logical to conclude that the Bible preceded the Catholic church.
“We are saved by grace through faith, not of works, lest any man boast”. God’s grace, and my faith is all that is needed for salvation according to the Bible.
Slowly is searching for the true church, as am I. According to the Bible, Jesus is the head of the church, and the elect (the true believers) are the body. So the church is comprised of Jesus and the believers…according to the Bible.
In Catholicism the Pope is the head of the Catholic church. Who then who is the head of the church? Is God’s church the Catholic church? Or is it Jesus and the elect? Or both?
I agree with slowly, is it really this complicated? If so, how did the thief on the cross make it to heaven? All he did was believe, he wasn’t a Catholic…and wasn’t even baptised!

God Bless,
Robert
You have no idea what the Catholic Church teaches. The head of the Church is Jesus. The Church is called the Mystical Body of Jesus. Peter is the Prime Minister, to be the Vicar of Christ.

This is a quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

669 As Lord, Christ is also head of the Church, which is his Body. Taken up to heaven and glorified after he had thus fully accomplished his mission, Christ dwells on earth in his Church. The redemption is the source of the authority that Christ, by virtue of the Holy Spirit, exercises over the Church. “The kingdom of Christ [is] already present in mystery”, “on earth, the seed and the beginning of the kingdom”.

*666 Jesus Christ, the head of the Church, precedes us into the Father’s glorious kingdom so that we, the members of his Body, may live in the hope of one day being with him for ever.

548 In the ecclesial service of the ordained minister, it is Christ himself who is present to his Church as Head of his Body, Shepherd of his flock, high priest of the redemptive sacrifice, Teacher of Truth. This is what the Church means by saying that the priest, by virtue of the sacrament of Holy Orders, acts in persona Christi Capitis:

It is the same priest, Christ Jesus, whose sacred person his minister truly represents. Now the minister, by reason of the sacerdotal consecration which he has received, is truly made like to the high priest and possesses the authority to act in the power and place of the person of Christ himself (virtute ac persona ipsius Christi).
Christ is the source of all priesthood: the priest of the old law was a figure of Christ, and the priest of the new law acts in the person of Christ. *

So again, the Protestant as always, do not know the teachings Catholic Church. They distort our belief, like they do the Bible…
 
In addition the Catechism of the Catholic Church states the Pope as;
882 The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter’s successor, “is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful.” “For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered.”
100 The task of interpreting the Word of God authentically has been entrusted solely to the Magisterium of the Church, that is, to the Pope and to the bishops in communion with him.
1900 The duty of obedience requires all to give due honor to authority and to treat those who are charged to exercise it with respect, and, insofar as it is deserved, with gratitude and good-will.
Pope St. Clement of Rome provides the Church’s most ancient prayer for political authorities: “Grant to them, Lord, health, peace, concord, and stability, so that they may exercise without offense the sovereignty that you have given them. Master, heavenly King of the ages, you give glory, honor, and power over the things of earth to the sons of men. Direct, Lord, their counsel, following what is pleasing and acceptable in your sight, so that by exercising with devotion and in peace and gentleness the power that you have given to them, they may find favor with you.”
552 Simon Peter holds the first place in the college of the Twelve; Jesus entrusted a unique mission to him. Through a revelation from the Father, Peter had confessed: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Our Lord then declared to him: “You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.” Christ, the “living Stone”, thus assures his Church, built on Peter, of victory over the powers of death. Because of the faith he confessed Peter will remain the unshakable rock of the Church. His mission will be to keep this faith from every lapse and to strengthen his brothers in it.
881 The Lord made Simon alone, whom he named Peter, the “rock” of his Church. He gave him the keys of his Church and instituted him shepherd of the whole flock. “The office of binding and loosing which was given to Peter was also assigned to the college of apostles united to its head.” This pastoral office of Peter and the other apostles belongs to the Church’s very foundation and is continued by the bishops under the primacy of the Pope.
Most Protestants will never grasp what we Catholic Believe unless they are open minded and understand.

Thank God I’m Catholic…
 
Way do you want a shortcut? The search for truth should take a lifetime.
I don’t know how long I still have to live, do you? 🙂
I completely agree that you should find the best arguments and evidence for each religion and well as atheism/agnosticism. If finding the truth was simple and easy then God’s creation would be boring. Even if you decide that the Catholic faith is true, we freely admit that Catholicism is not an end but a lifelong process.

It may be difficult. It can be confusing. It IS possible to find the truth beyond a reasonable doubt. The first step is to start praying that God will lead you to the truth. He is infinite and we are finite. We can not grasp the infinite on our own finite intellect.
Regarding the use of “prayer” as a way to find the truth of Catholocism, is this generally accepted by Catholics as an appropriate way? I am asking because I know the Reborn Christians also say this about their Religion.
 
I don’t know how long I still have to live, do you? 🙂
All the more reason to pare done the various religions to those that most meet reality. Catholicism does. It doesn’t ever pretend anything in order to win converts.
Regarding the use of “prayer” as a way to find the truth of Catholocism, is this generally accepted by Catholics as an appropriate way? I am asking because I know the Reborn Christians also say this about their Religion.
The key is to pray, and mean it, to find the truth. Truth coupled with love is what the Catholic Church is basically teaching because Jesus, its founder was the God-man who taugth the truth, lived the truth, and was the truth as well as being love personified. He’s the only founder of a faith who willingly gave up his life for sinners.
 
Hi Malcolm

Thanks for your post.
When we move to Christian religions, quite clearly the Catholic church has the only credible claim to being the one true article. Protestants usually claim to be restoring the Church to its first-century purity. Mostly the claims are simply implausible to anyone with any historical knowledge.
I find this difficult to accept. It just seems a bit too convenient that the Catholic Church happens to be the only church whose members have “any historical knowledge”.
 
I don’t know how long I still have to live, do you? 🙂
I have as much time as the Good Lord will give me. 😉
Regarding the use of “prayer” as a way to find the truth of Catholocism, is this generally accepted by Catholics as an appropriate way? I am asking because I know the Reborn Christians also say this about their Religion.
I’ll quote from the Catechism (Are you seeing a pattern in our responses?)

II. PRAYER OF PETITION

[2632](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/2632.htm’)😉
Christian petition is centered on the desire and search for the Kingdom to come, in keeping with the teaching of Christ.107 There is a hierarchy in these petitions: we pray first for the Kingdom, then for what is necessary to welcome it and cooperate with its coming. This collaboration with the mission of Christ and the Holy Spirit, which is now that of the Church, is the object of the prayer of the apostolic community.108 It is the prayer of Paul, the apostle par excellence, which reveals to us how the divine solicitude for all the churches ought to inspire Christian prayer.109 By prayer every baptized person works for the coming of the Kingdom.
[2633](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/2633.htm’)😉 When we share in God’s saving love, we understand that every need can become the object of petition. Christ, who assumed all things in order to redeem all things, is glorified by what we ask the Father in his name.110 It is with this confidence that St. James and St. Paul exhort us to pray at all times.111
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top