Why is the Pope Endorsing Same Sex Unions in Film

• Thread starter Thread starter CourtingTex
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably a life partner / helpmate?
Possibly…

…but I would say that nobody has a right to a life partner, nobody is guaranteed it, and furthermore since when does the Church have to conform to what the secular world believes?..

…however more and more homosexual couples are seeking to adopt and or conceive through in vitro insemination possibly using a surrogate, causing even more sin in the process of their ”right to a family”

…and the current comments from the Pope only help to add fuel to the fire (even if that is not what he had meant), now perhaps some editing trickery was used to achieve the result as seen on tape of the Pope saying this…

…however if that is the case the Pope needs to come out loud and clear and clarify that, if he does not (as has been the norm for this Pope in the past) then his silence should be taken as an answer.

Last edited:
I knew I left myself open to the slippery slope argument, which always devolves into absurdity.

Yes, registered Republican since 1985, voting for Biden, and still receiving holy communion every Sunday.

I just pulled in my best Spanish speaker. She said “conveniencia civil” means a convenience, just like it sounds, and civil unions has a different word, which I forgot but sounded nothing like this.
What the Pope said was “convivencia civil” not “conveniencia” (which would not make much sense btw) I am a native Spanish speaker and what he said indeed does mean civil unions.

You’re probably right. Now that the Pope supports civil unions, straight people will stop getting married and having children.

As a matter of fact, all three of my kids decided to never marry a person of the opposite sex but will instead turn gay and enter into civil unions

I wish the Pope and other Church leaders realized how they leave us out to dry when they make ambiguous statements or don’t clarify what they mean and allow the media to run rampant. What am I supposed to say?
This is a big issue for me. Coming from protestantism, I could at least speak for myself, and knew what I believed. Am I supposed to tell people the Holy Father is wrong (if indeed that is what he said, who knows :roll_eyes:) and sound like a Grade-A pedant? No thanks. The Church needs to Church herself. If it’s my job, I could’ve saved myself the trouble and remained Protestant.

Last edited:
I learned Spanish in high school and have spoken it for 30 years.
convivencia literally means “cohabitation”.
Pope Francis used convivencia 17 times in Fratelli tutti. I can tell you that he wasn’t talking about cohabitation.

40.png
Anesti33:
I learned Spanish in high school and have spoken it for 30 years.
convivencia literally means “cohabitation”.
Pope Francis used convivencia 17 times in Fratelli tutti. I can tell you that he wasn’t talking about cohabitation.
I can agree that it can be translated as “coexistence” as well. But in the context of convivencia civil it cannot.

Who am I to judge?
For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.” (1Cor 5:12-13)

The Church has the right to judge the faithful.

I can agree that it can be translated as “coexistence” as well. But in the context of convivencia civil it cannot.
That’s unfortunate. I am done trying to defend his comments. Seems that is exactly what he meant.

Last edited:
For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.” (1Cor 5:12-13)

The Church has the right to judge the faithful.
Furthermore, everyone has the right to use their good judgment, for example: one is free to judge that murder is a heinous act, one can even judge that a serial murder is a heinous person…

…when we are told not to judge, it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t judge anything, it means that we cannot condemn someone to hell

…that judgement is left only to the supreme judge, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ…

…to say that we cannot judge immoral acts as such is preposterous.

This is a big issue for me. Coming from protestantism, I could at least speak for myself, and knew what I believed. Am I supposed to tell people the Holy Father is wrong (if indeed that is what he said, who knows :roll_eyes:) and sound like a Grade-A pedant? No thanks. The Church needs to Church herself. If it’s my job, I could’ve saved myself the trouble and remained Protestant.
I agree. I came from the Episcopal Church where they were blessing same-sex unions long before it was even legal to “marry”. In the U.S. there aren’t even “civil unions” anymore. There are only “marriages”. It is very sad to deal with this in the Church now, especially since so many aren’t even going to Mass due to the pandemic. It isn’t a mortal wound, but a severe blow to the faithful.

A transgender Pope … now wouldn’t that be something? I wouldn’t know whether to laugh or cry!

According to this recent article about the brouhaha, the pope personally called and affirmed the priesthood of this author who is a laicized priest. Where’s the confused emoji?

And to be clear homosexuality doesn’t really bother me. I am Catholic so that the church can tell me how to be close to God and get to heaven, so that I don’t have to rely on my imperfect conscience or interpret scripture myself! It is very disappointing that in order to find out what Im supposed to believe somebody has to pull out a sheath of documents, and then somebody else might pull out a sheath of documents to contradict those documents.

What did people do when the Catholic faithful were illiterate?!

Last edited:
…however as presented (which again I’m not saying that editing trickery isn’t to blame) it does suggest that he is endorsing same sex couples having a “right” to a family.
The way it was presented was a distortion of what the pope really meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back