S
Sherry_G
Guest
Pondering on this one…I was born in the 40’s, received First Holy Communion in the early 50’s, Confirmed in 1960, graduated from Catholic High School in 1964 and always wore a head covering to Mass. All the rage until the 60’s was hat wearing, not only in church but also in society for many occasions. The chapel veil was introduced and became the norm for daily Mass attendance as part of my elementary school day in the fifties. By the mid 60’s hats were worn only on Sunday where I greaw up in the midwest, at least.
I still use my 1962 Roman Catholic Daily Missal because of the wonderful prayers and extensive information about our beautiful faith. I went through it and found no references whatsoever about head covering even though it is very detailed about all the Liturgy, including all the vestments, placement of church buildings and parts of the church itself, the altar, all the sacred vessels, the way in which we the faithful should follow along during the Mass, pray the Mass, the reasons for the Liturgical Seasons, Colors used, Proper of the Saints, etc. Nowhere is the head covering even mentioned. However, a woman back then would never dare to enter a church without a head covering of some kind! I remember an instance where we fashioned a pretty good facsimile of a chapel veil for a friend out of kleenex so she could go to Mass!
I still use my 1962 Roman Catholic Daily Missal because of the wonderful prayers and extensive information about our beautiful faith. I went through it and found no references whatsoever about head covering even though it is very detailed about all the Liturgy, including all the vestments, placement of church buildings and parts of the church itself, the altar, all the sacred vessels, the way in which we the faithful should follow along during the Mass, pray the Mass, the reasons for the Liturgical Seasons, Colors used, Proper of the Saints, etc. Nowhere is the head covering even mentioned. However, a woman back then would never dare to enter a church without a head covering of some kind! I remember an instance where we fashioned a pretty good facsimile of a chapel veil for a friend out of kleenex so she could go to Mass!