Worst Liturgical Abuses?

• Thread starter Thread starter Crusader
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
**In the 70’s at a teen retreat at my parish the deacon thought it would be groovy to ditribute communion to the teen recipiants by saying “Wanna hit?” instead of “Body of Christ” **

We had canned music in the early 80’s during Mass… unsure if this could be labled abuse, but it was tacky.

We had an extremely liberal RCIA instructor who gave all kinds of wrong information ie. “you don’t really have to go to Mass every week” and “holy days are just extra, you don’t have to go” it was mainly because of her that I thought birth control was OK. It was no secret that she wanted to be a deacon because she would argue the cause with ppl. She once gave the homily while the priest and deacon sat idly by. She was also “pro-choice” and supported Bill Clinton because of this. At the same time, our priest was openly pro-choice and also supported Clinton, verbally to parishoners, if I recall once he verbalized this during a homily… but it could have been after Mass.

The liturgical dancers were wild women during the 80’s at this parish. :rolleyes: They acted like hippies on acid. really strange!

We had a movie about giving money to the church in place of the homily several times when i was a kid.

The worst one to affect my life was that the deacon who married my husband and I, told my husband at our pre cana interview that because he had such a solid belief in the true presence of the Eucharist that it would be OK for him to take communion as long as the priest (at our new parish where we were moving to in another state) didn’t know he wasn’t Catholic. Don’t ask, don’t tell kinda thing. It took us years before we found out this was wrong. My husband and I felt like fools when we realized. We were unknowingly participating in a liturgical abuse ourselves, because of this misinformation!:crying:

40.png
TobyLue:
Of course being a AU parish, mass is celebrated a little different.
What does AU stand for?

Thanks,

Jenn

Iwould just like to invite everyone ,if you are ever in Columbus,Ohio,to St.Patrick church downtown.We never have used altar girls,only priest distribute holy communion,and we all kneel at thecommunion rail to recieve.One can also go to confession before every mass in the booths on either side of the church.The parish is staffed by the Dominican Fathersand has been for well over 100 years.Although the parish is in downtown Columbus,it has the third largest parish in the diocese.It just goes to show that people will come for a good ,orthodox parish,even if it means driving 30 miles instead of 3 miles to the local parish.

The worst abuse I’ve seen occurred not at my home parish, but at the parish I attend on the weekend that I work.
We had a visiting priest from Canada. I think he was in town for a parish mission.

(1) During the homily he told us over and over that we must change and how bad the Church was before Vatican II.
(2) After his homily he said “Let’s get this damn thing finished up!” :eek:
(3) He had the altar girl read the Eucharistic Prayer (but not the words of institution, thank God).
(4) He sat in front of the altar while the EMHC’s distributed Holy Communion.

I almost left in anger!!! :mad:

look at the signature of the previous post. I related some hair-raising stories of weirdnesses we encountered on our vacation to my pastor. He reminded me that the local bishop can do nothing unless he has documented complaints from witnesses in writing. It is your duty to notify the bishop when you experience these grave abuses, in your own parish or elsewhere. I have, therefore, just sent off a letter to the Bishop of Raleigh NC detailing what went on (it is a two page single spaced letter).

40.png
asquared:
look at the signature of the previous post. I related some hair-raising stories of weirdnesses we encountered on our vacation to my pastor. He reminded me that the local bishop can do nothing unless he has documented complaints from witnesses in writing. It is your duty to notify the bishop when you experience these grave abuses, in your own parish or elsewhere. I have, therefore, just sent off a letter to the Bishop of Raleigh NC detailing what went on (it is a two page single spaced letter).
Your underlying presumption is that the bishop would agree with your assessment that something was remiss. But given the politics within the Church, you’ll find that a) few bishops are going to get involved in reprimanding a visiting priest from another diocese, short of his attempt to marry a gay couple or to offer Communion to a Muslim, b) the bishops in Michigan do not have the same definition of “abuse” that most use on this board and c) they really do have better things to do with their time as each is covering an area roughly the size of the state of New Jersey. The use of “grave abuses” isn’t going to escalate the letter to a cause celibre at all. In fact, I wrote a diocese once after watching a EM wife the Precious Blood on her skirt after giving communion by intinction. The response didn’t even recognize that there was an issue with that. It was a polite “don’t think we like intinction and we’re not doing any special training so that any EMs even learn the proper way to do it.”

40.png
Guy:
The worst abuse I’ve seen occurred not at my home parish, but at the parish I attend on the weekend that I work.
We had a visiting priest from Canada. I think he was in town for a parish mission.

(1) During the homily he told us over and over that we must change and how bad the Church was before Vatican II.
(2) After his homily he said “Let’s get this damn thing finished up!” :eek:
(3) He had the altar girl read the Eucharistic Prayer (but not the words of institution, thank God).
(4) He sat in front of the altar while the EMHC’s distributed Holy Communion.

I almost left in anger!!! :mad:
That is horrible. I think I might have triggered a “walk-out” at that point.

loyola rambler said:
Your underlying presumption is that the bishop would agree with your assessment that something was remiss. But given the politics within the Church, you’ll find that a) few bishops are going to get involved in reprimanding a visiting priest from another diocese, short of his attempt to marry a gay couple or to offer Communion to a Muslim, b) the bishops in Michigan do not have the same definition of “abuse” that most use on this board and c) they really do have better things to do with their time as each is covering an area roughly the size of the state of New Jersey. The use of “grave abuses” isn’t going to escalate the letter to a cause celibre at all. In fact, I wrote a diocese once after watching a EM wife the Precious Blood on her skirt after giving communion by intinction. The response didn’t even recognize that there was an issue with that. It was a polite “don’t think we like intinction and we’re not doing any special training so that any EMs even learn the proper way to do it.”

Excellent point. I wrote a very respectful letter to my bishop outlining the liturgical abuses at my parish and he essentially said that what he says goes. Thank God he will be gone in a year.

40.png
Cephas:
Praise be to God for your new found parish. Pray for your last on though, especiall the priest there.
A lay person (even the Lutheran woman) cant give homilies. Only deacons and priest and bishops can. Lay people can only preach. There is a difference. I would write to the Bishop about this about (you go to the Cathedral right?) you are right there. how cool!
No, lay people may not preach. Teaching, preaching and sanctifying are the role of the bishops, and of the priests and deacons they ordain to assist them.

let’s see, worst liturgical abuses:
3 yr old granddaughter of EEM carrying the empty chalice, upside down, dripping the Precious Blood on the floor, through the Church to to sacristy

at a Jesuit retreat chapel, entire congregation invited to stand around the altar for the Eucharistic prayer and recite together the “Through Him, with Him . . .” (not the words of consecration, thankfully) and then self-communicating from the paten and chalice placed at the edge of the altar

Outdoor Mass in someone’s backyard using Wonder Bread (this was the 70s, I think pope has declared general amnesty for anything wacky that happened in that decade either that or hell is going to be very crowded when that generation of “liturgists” dies)

half hour slide show on plans for the new church at every Sunday Mass, which of course left no time for homily, creed and prayer of the faithful.

wedding where bridesmaids dressed like Dracula in drag, couple wrote the own vows which mentioned none of the traditional promises and readings were from the Prophet and Rod McKuen, songs by PP&M and S&G (again, 70s)

Toni said:
:tsktsk: In regards to this priest shame on him for making a mockery out of the Mass and even worse chasing Mother Teresa’s nuns and there soup kitchen down to Mexican Village. I knew this priest when he was in Waterford and I will pray hard for him now!

I hadn’t heard that about the nun’s before, what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back