Worst Movies for Catholics

  • Thread starter Thread starter childofmary1143
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Magdalene Sisters - the story of “wayward” women who were sent away to live with the most evil nuns & priests in Ireland up until the mid 1960’s.

This movie was so horrible - possibly because it was based at least on partial truth - that I almost decided not to become Catholic after watching it.
Good book though! 👍 I haven’t seen the movie, but the book had more to do with Irish SOCIETY than just the church’s reaction to unwed mothers.

I want to point out that in order to not repeat the mistakes of the past, history must be retold. I think this is a GOOD film for Catholics to see (or to read the book as in my case). We certainly don’t want to repeat that kind of behavior, we do want to help unwed/wayward mothers to know adoption is an option rather than abortion. Heck, this whole aspect of our faith and the way society has changed regarding this very subject has changed our church, our convents and even our views of the young, unwed and pregnant woman. Yes, do keep telling the story I say – lest we fall back to less kind/charitable times to our most vulnerable sisters. 👍
 
Guess I’m goin’ to hell for liking movies like Cinderella and Harry Potter. Whats up with people on this board? I’m taking lessons to become Catholic from my Priest. I love the catholic faith, but most people on this board sound more protostant.
LOL Nah they are all just human, with opinions. Kinda like protestants, and every other human being on earth. 👍
Unlike a lot of protestants we keep our opinions to forums like these and are very respectful of our fellow Catholics IRL. I get what you are saying though…but don’t worry, your fellow parishoners are highly unlikely to criticize your movie taste.

Welcome to the church and to CAF ! 😃
 
The Body 2001: this movie is with Antonio Banderas. He plays a priest sent to investigate whether or not the body found in a tomb is indeed the body of Jesus Christ. Here you have the typical Hollywood Priest falls for woman romance thing and shows other Catholic religious as crazy fanatics.
Antonio Banderas as A PRIEST? I don’t think I could handle it!
 
Ok, my quick list
3> Godfather III
more to come…
I assume you’re thinking of the inside-job conspiracy to murder Pope John Paul I?

Other than that, I didn’t find it objectionable. This is the story of a man who started out full of youthful ideals. He was the one who was NOT supposed to be involved in the family business. But when he takes that first wrong step, it sets him on a road that he can never get off of.

In Godfather III, Michael FINALLY confesses to the sin of murdering his brother. He tries to defend the Pope. And the actions he has taken throughout his life finally DO have big consequences. His son hates him. His daughter is murdered. In the end, he dies deserted and alone.

It’s not a great film, but its depiction of the wages of sin is shattering.
 
Now I saw a thing… Hadn’t anybody still add The Golden Compass to the list??? :bigyikes:
 
Someone in here mentioned The Exorcist. I wouldn’t call that movie anti-Catholic. I would instead characterize it as a horror film meant specifically for Catholics.
 
Most? Purely out of interest. which go on which side of the ‘acceptable’ line? 🙂

I’m a big fan of most of Lynch, especially Twin Peaks. His only film I didn’t enjoy at all was Wild At Heart, though Dune was rather a mess too.

Mike
I’d say The Elephant Man is on the acceptable side.
 
Haven’t seen that, but it seems to be the exception 😉
Yeah, it’s kinda weird how one guy can make Salo, and at the same time direct Matthew’s Passion of the Christ. (I’ve not seen either)

'nother movie:

Caligula (I’ve not seen it, but I looked at some reviews for it while researching Claudius, and I don’t really think it’s anything a Catholic would WANT to watch)
 
Yeah, it’s kinda weird how one guy can make Salo, and at the same time direct Matthew’s Passion of the Christ. (I’ve not seen either)
Since that post I’ve watched the first half. Excellent so far, though you really have to be in the ‘okay, I am going to sit down and watch this sucker and I don’t care what it takes’ mood you need for, say, your average Werner Herzog flick.
Caligula (I’ve not seen it, but I looked at some reviews for it while researching Claudius, and I don’t really think it’s anything a Catholic would WANT to watch)
Friend of mine rented that to watch with a coworker without knowing anything about it :rotfl: They came in absolutely traumatized the next day.
 
Friend of mine rented that to watch with a coworker without knowing anything about it :rotfl: They came in absolutely traumatized the next day.
I can see why. I read the review and I’m traumatized.:eek: Useally I’m a geek for history, but that movie sounded like porno that happened to be about a historial figure.
 
I can see why. I read the review and I’m traumatized.:eek: Useally I’m a geek for history, but that movie sounded like porno that happened to be about a historial figure.
Oh, so they cleaned it up a bit, did they?

I’d say there’s a little problem with Godfather III: membership in the Sicilian mob is automatic excommunication.

Has anybody pointed out what a pile of horse-hockey the movies about Elizabeth I are? I mean Elizabeth and Elizabeth: Golden Age. As though she actually ruled at any time, and didn’t have an absolutely neurotic need to be flattered constantly? And wasn’t insane and bald and secretly wishing she could be a Catholic so she could confess her secret love to her brother in law, the Prince of Spain, and also kill the nasty little hunchback named Robert Cecil–who Shakespeare wrote Richard III about.

As a tragic story of a poor, crazy little girl (she was emotionally stunted her whole life) being used, and abused, for political gain, poor Queen Bess would be excellent material. As a feminist anthem…not so much.

You know, guys, there really was an actually strong queen not too terribly much later: Maria Theresa of Austria.

But we can’t tack anti-Catholic screeds onto her…and we’d have to mention what sort of person was running Germany at the time: Fredrich Hohenzollern II, called the Great, among the most evil men who ever lived.
 
I can see why. I read the review and I’m traumatized.:eek: Useally I’m a geek for history, but that movie sounded like porno that happened to be about a historial figure.
Don’t you just love the media? When “I, Claudius” comes out in 2010, it’ll be much… um… cleaner (and more accurate) than Caligula. But if they stay too loyal to the book(s) it’ll be too long.
 
Friend of mine rented that to watch with a coworker without knowing anything about it :rotfl: They came in absolutely traumatized the next day.
Isn’t that movie adult-rated and appropriately labelled for the sex and violence it contains? :hmmm: How did they miss seeing all that when they rented it?

But I agree, I saw a little of it and was so sickened I left the room (it was someone else who rented and was watching it).
 
Don’t you just love the media? When “I, Claudius” comes out in 2010, it’ll be much… um… cleaner (and more accurate) than Caligula. But if they stay too loyal to the book(s) it’ll be too long.
I, Claudius was a major PBS series staring Derek Jacobi back in the 70s. It was wonderful. We still have it on tape.
 
Isn’t that movie adult-rated and appropriately labelled for the sex and violence it contains? :hmmm: How did they miss seeing all that when they rented it?
He got it from Netflix and didn’t read the description too closely – expecting a biopic, not Penthouse’s finest 😛
 
I, Claudius was a major PBS series staring Derek Jacobi back in the 70s. It was wonderful. We still have it on tape.
So does the library, but I am having the exact opposite problem with our VHS player that you had with your DVD player… so I’m just gonna have to wait for the new one to come out in 2010. I gave up television for Lent anyway…
 
I haven’t read the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned, but a movie that was just awful was a film that was released in 1994 called, simply, Priest. It was about a homosexual priest and contained graphic homosexual scenes. Just awful!:mad:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top