đź’° New York Times: Trump paid no income taxes in 10 out of 15 years beginning in 2000

• Thread starter Thread starter ThinkingSapien
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Times article:

All of the information The Times obtained was provided by sources with legal access to it. While most of the tax data has not previously been made public, The Times was able to verify portions of it by comparing it with publicly available information and confidential records previously obtained by The Times.

SOURCES. More than one.

Last edited:
well the avalanche of lawsuits that will hit him…
I’m not a lawyer, but I doubt that whatever the Times is publishing would be admissible in court as it does not appear to have been legally obtained.

I personally am going with one of the banks or lending institutions he owes money to as a source. You can only stiff them so long before they come after you.

Why do you think it’s such a non-issue? Hard to imagine you would react that way if it were Biden. He’s paid less income tax than me, and he’s much, much richer!

I expect this behaviour of the rich, but I do wonder why you genuinely think it’s not a news item.

Called Ob Tyranny, by Timothy Snyder. Super good read. And yes, I am a Republican.

Interesting take on NYT article about Trump taxes

One major point: he says NYT says they have tax return data, which is different from the returns themselves. He also speculates they may have the tax summaries the IRS send out, but these have little information.

I am sure Trump has a huge number of accountants and tax lawyers who advise him as to the best way to structure his business to reduce taxes. Same as Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet, and Facebook do.

Why do you think it’s such a non-issue? Hard to imagine you would react that way if it were Biden.
Biden. Or Clinton. Or Obama . . . Their heads would be exploding. :roll_eyes:
But it’s Trump, so they have to play “who cares?”

I said the same thing to some friends. I was asked not to repeat such a “pessimistic prediction” to them again. For the 2016 election I had also said I thought Trump would win, and I was told I was being ridiculous.

The only taxes that anyone should pay are those which are lawfully due.

Is there any suggestion that Trump did not pay taxes which are lawfully due?

The article also speaks of the hundreds of millions in debt.

400 million dollars of it personal debt.

He is personally responsible for more than $420 million in debt, most of which is coming due within the next four years, according to the Times.

This reminds me of when the “Paradise Papers” leaked, and everyone was saying that the shell companies and such detailed in them, which were obviously used for tax evasion, were legal. Maybe what Trump is doing is legal, but I hardly see why that matters. It’s clearly irritating that normal people should pay so much in income tax while rich and powerful people like him should get away with not paying anything.

He is the president of the United States. Normal people are funding his government while he pays nothing. Doesn’t that irritate you at all?

Taxation is a hallmark of civilization, but so is law. If people don’t like the law on taxation as it stands, they must elect people who will amend the law to make it impossible for Trump and others to avoid paying tax. Until then, he’s within his rights.

We don’t know that because that (potentially incriminating) information isn’t public. He’s still a sitting President who can’t be indicted. Good news for his supporters, I guess.

Last edited:
They do. One repeatedly blames me for being partially responsible for the current president being in office because I “put that energy out there.”

Have you ever seen “The Secret”? Unofficially, I think that is the religion of some of my friends. They always talk about putting energy out into the universe to make a change.

I look at the opposition party as the “everyone else.” I think their strongest uniting attribute is that they are not the republicans. But they are not necessarily trying to move in the same direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back