S
setter
Guest
This is key.Yes, by all means speak with your RCIA leader on this…**hopefully Sister Joanne is orthodox **and can answer your questions fully.
This is key.Yes, by all means speak with your RCIA leader on this…**hopefully Sister Joanne is orthodox **and can answer your questions fully.
We have our whole lives to ‘get our heads on straight’, so to speak - to work on our spiritual state such that we are relatively proof against unrepentant mortal sin and so we are ready at all times to meet God. And so does the person who sins mortally and doesn’t repent in the last moments of life!Why can’t I make this clear? The guy blew it. We all do. Maybe he died moments before getting his head on straight - without warning - his brain under wheels of a very big bus. For that, and a lifetime of worship, rosaries, prayer, donations, good works, etc., he spends a eternity in hell!
That’s what I don’t think is fair. He’s judged on that afternoon, or maybe 30 minutes of his life. That’s not right.
I was taught the very same when I was a Catholic.In this thread
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=141754
Fr. Serpa says a man killed after a mortal sin, before confession, will spend eternity in hell. I’m having great difficulty reconciling this with a loving, forgiving God.
That isn’t what Fr. Serpa said. He made it clear that if the man repents before he dies then he can be forgiven.Fr. Serpa says a man killed after a mortal sin, before confession, will spend eternity in hell.
…“In my view” which is all that is. And, as often is the case with the teachings of men, dead wrong.I was taught the very same when I was a Catholic.
Theoretically, a man can live a life filled to the brim with venial sin after venial sin, but if he did one mortal sin, then he is doomed to Hell forever unless he can confess to the priest.
I think the common claim in this thread telling Catholics that God will give them a chance to repent for any particular sin before death is actually dangerous. If Catholicism is true, that kind of thinking could actually be damnable from my perspective.
Thinking that anyone will have the time necessary to go through all the qualifications for a mortal sin is not a wise bet, IMO.
What is mortal sin to one priest or Catholic is very often different for another priest or Catholic. Figuring out if what you have done is a mortal sin when you do not even see that bus coming from the side is a longshot of hope, IMV.
God is loving and forgiving, true, but He is also perfectly just. And if one is guilty of mortal sin then one both merits and will receive damnation. Just as in criminal law someone who is guilty of murder will at a minumum receive a jail sentence, regardless of whether their past record is squeaky clean or even brimfull of good deeds or not.How about his past acts of good deeds? Will that be taken into account in determining heaven OR hell? Since God is loving and forgiving… HE gives the final judgment
One does not have to be thinking explicitly gee I want to reject God today to be guilty of mortal sin.In point of fact, man does not suffer perdition only by being unfaithful to that fundamental option whereby he has made “a free self-commitment to God”.113 With every freely committed mortal sin, he offends God as the giver of the law and as a result becomes guilty with regard to the entire law (cf. Jas 2:8-11); even if he perseveres in faith, he loses “sanctifying grace”, “charity” and “eternal happiness”.114 As the Council of Trent teaches, “the grace of justification once received is lost not only by apostasy, by which faith itself is lost, but also by any other mortal sin”.115
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_06081993_veritatis-splendor_en.html
Absolutely, and I wish this quote could be blazoned out to humanity, because too many people think that this is the ‘only way’ to commit a mortal sin.One does not have to be thinking explicitly gee I want to reject God today to be guilty of mortal sin.
I know. We keep the law because we love God. How is it loving to break the law?Absolutely, and I wish this quote could be blazoned out to humanity, because too many people think that this is the ‘only way’ to commit a mortal sin.
Placing one’s will above God’s, deliberately, fully cognizant that one is doing so, and knowing the gravity, places one in mortal sin, regardless of whether one says or thinks, “I am rejecting God”. Deciding for example to commit adultery, knowing that it is wrong, but feeling, “God will understand that I cannot help myself”, is a mortal sin, compounded on the mortal sin of presumption of God’s ‘mercy’, and the whole premise of “God will understand–or accept” puts our human perspective above that of Almighty God.
Mike, if you were to act that way and then your wife found out what reaction would she have?BTW, I have serious doubts that the sin mentioned in the original post (lying to an old girlfriend about being married) is necessarily a mortal sin in the first place.
When it comes down to it I believe this: everyone who desires to be with God will go to heaven. Anotherwords anyone who rejects the darkness of sin within his/her life and desires to be free from it, and clean having Christ’s blood washed over them, whether they’re alive or not, will go to heaven to be with God. Those who do not go to heaven will be those who do not really want to go to heaven.Why can’t I make this clear? The guy blew it. We all do. Maybe he died moments before getting his head on straight - without warning - his brain under wheels of a very big bus. For that, and a lifetime of worship, rosaries, prayer, donations, good works, etc., he spends a eternity in hell!
That’s what I don’t think is fair. He’s judged on that afternoon, or maybe 30 minutes of his life. That’s not right.
That’s not the issue. The issue is whether a particular act is necessarily a mortal sin. I think some Catholics are far too free in pronouncing grave acts as mortal sins, even though they cannot possibly know if the other two components necessary for mortal sin were present in the act.Mike, if you were to act that way and then your wife found out what reaction would she have?