Any Catholic Martial Artists?

• Thread starter Thread starter BryanW
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you misunderstand chi. None of the things the above poster talked about are about chi as referenced in meditation. While I do agree that one should be cautios about their Christian morals, chi is simply energy. It is just a different for it. Meditation is just another way of harnessing energy from the Creator, God. Granted and Phillipino or Buddhist may have a different name for the Creator, we do not. It is not to the eye of the teacher, it is the intention and views of the practitioner.

God Bless,

I don’t know if your post was directed at me, but just in case…

I understand Ch’i perfectly. I’ve trained since I was a small child. I’ve read and researched the whole thing. I just don’t believe in it. My experience has shown me that there’s something more simple and scientific in play in any form of applied combatives. It’s not a question of learning to harness some cosmic force, but simply to use your own body’s kinetic energy and implement biophysical mechanics.

Besides, the notion of Ch’i is not compatible with Catholic teaching. That’s why I say that I’ve been fortunate to have instructors that left out all the eastern religious nonsense.

If you read the Catechism and look up “eastern religions,” you’ll see what the Church says and why.

Anyway, if you want to believe in Ch’i, go right ahead. You are entitled to your opinion.

I have been training in Kyokushin Karate for a year and six months, and I find it really good from both a physical and mental perspective. I have always thought of chi as simply another word for energy, and ive treated it accordingly

I don’t know if your post was directed at me, but just in case…

I understand Ch’i perfectly. I’ve trained since I was a small child. I’ve read and researched the whole thing. I just don’t believe in it. My experience has shown me that there’s something more simple and scientific in play in any form of applied combatives. It’s not a question of learning to harness some cosmic force, but simply to use your own body’s kinetic energy and implement biophysical mechanics.

Besides, the notion of Ch’i is not compatible with Catholic teaching. That’s why I say that I’ve been fortunate to have instructors that left out all the eastern religious nonsense.

If you read the Catechism and look up “eastern religions,” you’ll see what the Church says and why.

Anyway, if you want to believe in Ch’i, go right ahead. You are entitled to your opinion.
Jose,

I suspect that what you are referring to as Chi is actually what I’ve heard called Chi POWER - the supposed use of the Chi energy to break perfectly good building materials in order to show off the power of a martial artist. What Joan de Arc is referring to is the channeling of Chi in order to heal someone.

I agree that the CHI POWER is pure focus and concentration and biomechanics. It frequently makes someone feel more powerful than others and therefore feeds the insatiable false self. Showy high kicks that have no real power or substance do that also.

My question is whether channeled energy can be used to heal others. I suspect that it can, but its always difficult to determine what exactly did heal the person - was it channeled energy or mental belief in that energy. I myself felt emotionally better after I experienced healing touch, but the physical head ache or back ache wasn’t affected much. Have you experienced healing touch?

I agree that the CHI POWER is pure focus and concentration and biomechanics. It frequently makes someone feel more powerful than others and therefore feeds the insatiable false self. Showy high kicks that have no real power or substance do that also.
This will be a real letdown to the Rockettes.

Karate has taught me so much about my Catholic faith. Discipline, honor, integrity, the fact that “someone is always watching you, so carry yourself as such” kind of attitude.

But the biggest thing Karate has taught me? For a guy who has never been in a fight, and doesn’t put himself in a situation where that could even be possible, it has taught me to defend myself with honor, and protect the weak.

Jose,

I suspect that what you are referring to as Chi is actually what I’ve heard called Chi POWER - the supposed use of the Chi energy to break perfectly good building materials in order to show off the power of a martial artist. What Joan de Arc is referring to is the channeling of Chi in order to heal someone.

My question is whether channeled energy can be used to heal others. I suspect that it can, but its always difficult to determine what exactly did heal the person - was it channeled energy or mental belief in that energy. I myself felt emotionally better after I experienced healing touch, but the physical head ache or back ache wasn’t affected much. Have you experienced healing touch?
What you are referring to is called qigong (ch’i gung). In Chinese, it means “energy work.” I’m familiar with it. It is a style of meditation which includes movements that increase the amount of ch’i in one’s body and help the person channel the ch’i to areas of the body to cure illness, injuries, etc. It can also come in the form of what some call acupressure, Chinese massage, or healing touch. I once healed myself of a pinched nerve that would have taken years to heal. But, since returning to the Church and her Magisterium, I’ve learned some things and have distanced myself from the practice.

This practice, according to church teaching, is tantamount to occult involvement (again, look up eastern religions in the catechism. look up occult too). If you need healing, don’t you believe that Jesus, either directly or through the Church and the Sacraments, can heal you? If so, why would you turn to anything aside from Christ and his Church and modern medicine?

This is the teaching of the Church, and the teaching of the Church is Truth. If your opinion differs, you’re entitled to it, but your opinion is erroneous and will lead you nowhere good.

P.S.
Do understand that I’m stating facts for the Greatest Good of all (in case you don’t know what that is, it’s that we all go to Heaven). How was I healed? God allows us to do things and reap personal good from it. If I was healed, it was because God said, “Yeah, alright,” because the healing was necessary for something He wanted me to accomplish. After my healing, I went on to win a pile of gold and silver medals in National wushu tournaments in the US and Mexico, and three International wushu competitions held inthe US. I now know my involvement in qigong was wrong and have amended my life.

What you are referring to is called qigong (ch’i gung). In Chinese, it means “energy work.” I’m familiar with it. It is a style of meditation which includes movements that increase the amount of ch’i in one’s body and help the person channel the ch’i to areas of the body to cure illness, injuries, etc. It can also come in the form of what some call acupressure, Chinese massage, or healing touch. I once healed myself of a pinched nerve that would have taken years to heal. But, since returning to the Church and her Magisterium, I’ve learned some things and have distanced myself from the practice.

This practice, according to church teaching, is tantamount to occult involvement (again, look up eastern religions in the catechism. look up occult too). If you need healing, don’t you believe that Jesus, either directly or through the Church and the Sacraments, can heal you? If so, why would you turn to anything aside from Christ and his Church and modern medicine?

This is the teaching of the Church, and the teaching of the Church is Truth. If your opinion differs, you’re entitled to it, but your opinion is erroneous and will lead you nowhere good.

P.S.
Do understand that I’m stating facts for the Greatest Good of all (in case you don’t know what that is, it’s that we all go to Heaven). How was I healed? God allows us to do things and reap personal good from it. If I was healed, it was because God said, “Yeah, alright,” because the healing was necessary for something He wanted me to accomplish. After my healing, I went on to win a pile of gold and silver medals in National wushu tournaments in the US and Mexico, and three International wushu competitions held inthe US. I now know my involvement in qigong was wrong and have amended my life.
Jose,

You say above that you once healed yourself - using Chi gong? Well if so, why do you think that this is somehow occult involvement and not just focused energy and biomechanics? I’m genuinely curious. I too was getting involved with some people that practiced this and felt like I was told by Jesus to drop out of it so i did and I haven’t regretted it because it always made me feel uncomfortable. But I still wonder what about the healing power of chi is like the occult?

Also Joandarc - any comments?

It’s good that you heard the voice of Jesus and turned away from qigong. Your feelings should serve as a sign.

I practiced qigong during a time that I was away from the Church. Since I’m back, my beliefs are guided by the Magesterium of the Church. I’ve turned my back on the whole ch’i thing.

Let’s ask ourselves where this “energy” comes from. According to eastern religion, it is the force of the universe that flows through all things. Can we read this to believe that this comes from God? The Church says “no.”

In your experience, was Jesus called upon to affect the healing? Not in mine. Therefore, as far as we who are Catholic, this is not compatible with Christianity. To call upon the Name of Jesus in this and any other occult/new age practice is sacrilege. The Catechism makes it clear that all eastern religious practices (including qigong) are more to do with the occult. Why the occult? Because it’s pagan. Why is it pagan? Because it focuses on the created (in this case cosmic energy) and not on the Creator. As Father John Corapi would say, “This isn’t rocket science, it’s a no-brainer.”

If we are to seek healing and modern medicine isn’t helping, we must rely entirely on God through His Church and have faith, hope, and trust in His will.

I hope this clarifies things.

So chi is supposed to be the ‘cosmic force’ of the universe??? I have been taught in kyokushin Karate that it is the power of your own individual spirit, or will… I think that this approach is a lot better than the whole ‘cosmic forces’ stuff. What is this whole Chi healing thing anyway??? any thoughts or ‘enlightenments’ (ha ha) will be welcome.

Could someone pleeeaaase help me out here?? I want to understand this whole “faith Healing” aspect of chi, and I want to learn more about a Catholic Approach to Martial Arts. For instance, what do we do when asked to meditate???:confused: I could really use some thoughts here. JAS87401, you seem to know a lot about this whole issue, could you give me a helping hand?

Could someone pleeeaaase help me out here?? I want to understand this whole “faith Healing” aspect of chi, and I want to learn more about a Catholic Approach to Martial Arts. For instance, what do we do when asked to meditate???:confused: I could really use some thoughts here. JAS87401, you seem to know a lot about this whole issue, could you give me a helping hand?
Meditate on the Rosary. 😃

Dude, don’t panic.

Congrats on one year and a half of training. That’s an achievement and says much good about you.

First of all, your studying in a Japanese lineage of karate. So, why is your instructor using the Chinese word “ch’i” instead of the Japanese “ki?” I’d be more concerned about the red flags that raises. Make sure your not getting bamboozled in someone’s “McDojo.”

If my terms confuse you, use google.

It is possible to filter out all the eastern religious mambo jahambo, but it’s better if your instructor is doing it. If you really feel uncomfortable, find a new school even if it means a new style. arnis, savate, krav maga, and ATA tae kwon do are pretty clean. If you wish to continue in your school and can stomach it (and I’m sure you can), when they tell you to meditate, meditate on the rosary or just don’t meditate. Sit in the position they want, but pray, or think about your laundry, whichever is best for you at the time. When they say “Empty your mind,” whatever you do, don’t! Nature abhors a vacuum. You empty your thoughts, anything can get in to replace them. So, don’t ever empty your mind. If you have in the past and are concerned, go to confession. You’ll be fine.

Martial art isn’t intrinsically evil. It’s good. What we must be mindful of when it comes to Asian martial arts are the eastern religious aspects. Therein lies the trick and the danger.

As for the healing aspects of ch’i, I’ve said all I’m going to say. Google is a friend to the curious, but remember; Curiosity killed the cat. The Chinese have this thing called qigong (or “ch’i gung”) and the Japanese have their version called “kijutsu.”

If you want more info, look 'em up. But, consider that, perhaps, the less you know at this point, the better.

Curiosity killed the cat.

Then again, upon looking at this jazz, you might just get a good laugh.

Put on the armor of God, warrior.

. I’m interested in hearing how you feel the Art has made you a better Catholic, or maybe you feel it doesn’t.
I don’t really think it does.

Fortunantly though, the school I’m in doesn’t have that “chi” stuff.

Thanks for that JAS. As to your question as to why I said Ch’i instead of Ki, its not really my instructors fault. In the Kyokushin Syllabus Ch’i is always called ki, and that mistake was my own. As to whether I am being dragged into the whole Zen thing, My instructor is retty down to earth about the whole thing, but there are a couple people in my class who I think might be getting involved…

P.S When ive ben asked to meditate Ive just concentrated on something I consider calming, like rain falling… is this alright???:confused:

I suppose so. Personally, I would meditate on the Lord. He makes me relax.

Since your instructor is introducing zen, which is a form of Buddhism, I would take this up with a priest. Many priests are martial artists themselves. I know an exorcist in France who has black belts in judo and karate, and Fr. John Corapi has a black belt in shotokan karate.

The study of combat, as I’ve said, isn’t bad. When it involves ideologies that conflict with Christianity, it puts a person in greater danger than confronting a thug.

You seem too be handling it alright, but go talk to a good, understanding priest. He’ll be able to guide you better than I.

Arnis here… Well at least I used to train… school messed up my training schedule.

Martial arts teaches us discipline which is always nice. My teachers are all Catholics or at least Christians. I have not experienced them teaching me any “Zen” or “Ki” or how to communicate with a higher power. It’s more like, do this to hit your opponent, do this to NOT get hit by your opponent…

Same Here. The closest we ever get to ‘zen’ is when we are told to kneel on the floor and relax for a few minutes. We’re told that ‘spirit’ is the strength of your will, at least as far as Karate is concerned.

Look, I still use the rosary, I still go to mass, I still believe. I have no illusions about who creates this kind of energy - It is God. I just believe one can do both and it has worked for me and multiple priests who are familiar with the program have no issue with it. Its basically a dead issue but I can agree to disagree as I believe in the form you may have been taught it may have been wrong to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back