Can our democracy survive if most Republicans think the government is illegitimate?

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulinVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s not the point. The point is that the republic survived calls of Trump’s presidency as illegitimate. It will survive such efforts to call Biden’s presidency also illegitimate.
Hmmm. You still seem to be flogging the idea that the majority of the populace think/thought that Trump was illegitimate. I don’t think that’s true. However, it is true that tens of millions of Trump supporters think that Biden is illegitimate.

Hmmm. You still seem to be flogging the idea that the majority of the populace think/thought that Trump was illegitimate. I don’t think that’s true. However, it is true that tens of millions of Trump supporters think that Biden is illegitimate.
Hmmm. You still don’t seem to get the point. It’s a distinction without a difference. Further, the Democratic leadership have supported such a notion.

Hmmm. You still don’t seem to get the point. It’s a distinction without a difference. Further, the Democratic leadership have supported such a notion.
I’ve read a little, and there does seem to be an undercurrent of illegitimacy in many Democrats comments about Trump. Not sure how extensive, but I’ll give you that.

Here’s what I thought and think

Trump did not get the most votes in 2016. However, the United States does not elect the President based on that. He did get the most electoral votes, therefore he won.

However, because he didn’t get the most votes, Trump felt that maybe he wasn’t legitimate. So people could get under his skin by mentioning the popular vote.

I certainly am no Trump fan but the guy was my President and did win the 2016 election.

Not liking the President is different from believing he is there by fraud and isn’t valid.

I’m fairly liberal but I never heard of Not My Presidents Day or any rallies by that name.
Depends on where you live I suppose. Living not to too far from the two centers of far left progressivism on the west coast, I heard about it plenty in the news.

Last edited:
I have the impression that this attitude that Biden will not be the legitimate President is quite common at least among my Trump supporting “friends” on FB. Very extreme views.

I could say it’s just the media but go to any rightist media source like Breitbart et. al. and read the comments. Pretty scary stuff.

And these machines were used in 30 states. Things are clearing up now.
Do you have any sources for these allegations from experts qualified to interpret the results?

These are all essentially blogs.

By the end of today, no matter what anyone feels about it, Biden will be the official President elect. People can go to their grave in denial if they wish but it’s much healthier to just accept and move on. We will all survive this unlike Covid for many.

I have the impression that this attitude that Biden will not be the legitimate President is quite common at least among my Trump supporting “friends” on FB. Very extreme views.
Shrug. The mere fact that the fears prior to the election about violence and unrest have not come to pass tells me it is all hot air. Also, the fact that all the ongoing violence has been on the left tells me the fear of unrest is not fear of violence from the right. The Trump supporters may feel cheated, disenfranchised, frustrated, and even angry. But I’ve seen nothing to indicate one should fear them.

Last edited:
He was not convicted of contact with the Russians. He plead guilty to lying to the FBI.
Well, yeah. He was convicted of lying about contact with the Russians, which he had…
He was perfectly qualified under the constitution. It is only the constitution that sets the qualifications.
Okay, true if that’s the low bar you want to set. I expect more of a President.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back