Can our democracy survive if most Republicans think the government is illegitimate?

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulinVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Coming from a small state, I think it should be limited to just 2 votes per state for every state. Why is the state of California more important than the state of Wyoming? It just isn’t fair.
Well, there is that whole “democracy” thing, which I know you are not a big fan of.

Why is the state of California more important than the state of Wyoming? It just isn’t fair.
We can go around and around on this until CAF shuts down.

The state of California isn’t more important. There are just millions and millions more people living there. They’re being shortchanged in the representation department in one house of Congress at the very least.

And yes, I know the Senate represents states, blah blan blah.

Last edited:
Because it has more people and makes more money for the country??? Just a thought

Because it has more people and makes more money for the country??? Just a thought
Just a good place for a snarky comment about the red states certainly don’t turn down California’s tax money which flows to them.

Last edited:
Could someone explain how it works in Nebraska? They have proportional electorates but I have no idea how it works there. Is that a more fair system or just the same only different YKWIM?

How would the electorate votes have looked under their system?

It is not fair and balanced,
It is absolutely fair, because it is fair to have the states determine the president of the republic, a republic that was created by the sovereign states. These are united states. They aren’t provinces of a large central government.
Therefore, the EC is democratic and absolutely fair.

It’s only democratic and fair if you think geography should have a say in how much your vote counts.
It has nothing to do with geography. It has to do with sovereign states who are part of a federal republic and get to decide who is the chief executive of the republic they created.
It is democratic and fair because each one of those sovereign states chooses democratically who their electors are.

What it isn’t is authoritarian majoritarianism.

Have them elect Republicans to lower FEDERAL taxes.
I am all in favor of article 1, section 8. Are the leftists in the California delegation?
You don’t get my point. Blue states pay more into federal income taxes than return in federal projects/money. Red states get more back from the government that they pay in federal taxes.

So, lowering taxes would be possible if the red states didn’t need so much.

It’s only democratic and fair if you think geography should have a say in how much your vote counts.

Some do, some don’t.
I think its safe to say that the some that do are mostly those that are gaining an advantage from the current system.

I believe two votes go to the state winner and each congressional district winner gets one vote.
That is correct. Two votes to the statewide winner (almost always Republican; LBJ in 1964 was the last Democrat to carry Nebraska) and the winner of the popular vote in each of the three Congressional districts receives a vote. Obama in 2008 and Biden this year won the Second Congressional District which includes Omaha.

Maine has the same system.

Last edited:
I think its safe to say that the some that do are mostly those that are gaining an advantage from the current system.
Yes, I imagine that is so.

After all, that’s why the system was created in the first place. It was to keep power where the founders wanted it.

It was to keep power where the founders wanted it.
Indeed. They didn’t want a national referendum on federal offices. They didn’t even want statewide referendums on senators. The goal was to have the states represented in the senate and the people represented in the congress. A balance of power between the states and the people.

Genius really.

You don’t get my point. Blue states pay more into federal income taxes than return in federal projects/money.
Only if they elect people who impose taxes. Don’t impose taxes you don’t want to pay. Don’t elect people who vote for projects you don’t want to pay for.
Red states get more back from the government that they pay in federal taxes.
See the first part of my response.
So, lowering taxes would be possible if the red states didn’t need so much.
Of course. Repeal all of the spending that is not explicit in Article 1 section 8. States will figure out what to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back