Can our democracy survive if most Republicans think the government is illegitimate?

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulinVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but it isn’t necessary for the process to work. Four years go the process worked. Today the process worked.
I’m glad you agree. Trump certainly had his chances to press the process to its limits. He probably filed more lawsuits than all the other presidential candidates in history - something like 60 of them. He had all the opportunities, all the due process and more. He lost this election on Nov 3, and then 60 more times in court. The voters have spoken. The courts have ruled. The electoral college has voted. Its over.

I’m glad you agree. Trump certainly had his chances to press the process to its limits.
And we should all celebrate the right to do so.
He probably filed more lawsuits than all the other presidential candidates in history - something like 60 of them. He had all the opportunities, all the due process and more.
I’m sure you’ll join me in celebrating the right to due process.
He lost this election on Nov 3, and then 60 more times in court. The voters have spoken. The courts have ruled. The electoral college has voted. Its over.
Exactly. Joe Biden is now President-Elect Biden. He will be the 46th president of the United States. I will not refer to as “46”. I will use his name.

A thousand to one. There is a lot of extreme claims on both sides.
Who is trying to undo the electoral college, other than Democrats?
That was the incumbent, who is not a Democrat. he tried to have faithless electors sent.

That was the incumbent, who is not a Democrat. he tried to have faithless electors sent.
Even today, there are calls from Democrats to do away with the EC. There is an ongoing attempt by some states to undermine its integrity by potentially taking a state’s electors and applying them to the fictitious national plebiscite instead of that state’s majority. This is the greatest attempt at voter suppression since the old Democrat south.

So yes, it is the Democrats trying to destroy this important part of our constitutional representative republic, in order to further impose strong central government.

As for faithless electors, it was again the Democrats who introduced the concept into recent elections. Democrats, the media snd Hollywood (but I repeat myself), all tried to get electors to abandon Trump four years ago.

Do you think Trump should have been denied access to the courts?
Jumping in, I think Trump should have held his fire and not filed over 60 lawsuits. It was abusing the courts because he lost.

He could, but he shouldn’t have.

Do you think Trump should have been denied access to the courts?
No. But I think he and his lawyers should have refrained from making frivolous arguments, and that he should stop making absurd and baseless claims of massive fraud. You say you are concerned with undermining our electoral system. Doesn’t the sitting president making up fanciful stories of massive fraud undermine our system more dramatically than any of the Democrat behavior you have complained of?

Jumping in, I think Trump should have held his fire and not filed over 60 lawsuits. It was abusing the courts because he lost.

He could, but he shouldn’t have.
Good. Defending his right to do so, but disagreeing with his choice.
I respect that.

No. But I think he and his lawyers should have refrained from making frivolous arguments, and that he should stop making absurd and baseless claims of massive fraud.
Same as above. Defend his right to access the courts, even while disagreeing with the choice.
I respect that.
You say you are concerned with undermining our electoral system. Doesn’t the sitting president making up fanciful stories of massive fraud undermine our system more dramatically than any of the Democrat behavior you have complained of?
No. Not at all. The EC met yesterday and selected President-elect Biden. In every way, the process as worked.

Even today, there are calls from Democrats to do away with the EC.
There have long been those who believed that the Electoral College has outlived it’s usefullness and should be abolished.
But I cannot believe that you don’t see the difference between believing it should be abolished, and actual attempts to subvert it by sending fraudulent certificates and votes. Those attempts were not carried out by Democrats.

There have long been those who believed that the Electoral College has outlived it’s usefullness and should be abolished.
It’s usefulness that those progressives who oppose it speak of is the roll it plays in federalism, in maintaining some level of state influence over the general government they created. These same people also want to eliminate the senate for the same reason. It is in keeping with the progressive movement for 100 years: opposition to limited government and the primacy of individual rights.
But I cannot believe that you don’t see the difference between believing it should be abolished, and actual attempts to subvert it
I oppose both, but attempts to abolish it have a far greater and disastrous impact on liberty and the republic than attempts to use faithless electors that virtually always fail. They failed in 2016 and yesterday.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
That’s untrue. Left leaning folks accepted that Trump was the legitimate President. They didn’t care for him but accepted he was valid.

There is an ongoing attempt by some states to undermine its integrity by potentially taking a state’s electors and applying them to the fictitious national plebiscite instead of that state’s majority. This is the greatest attempt at voter suppression since the old Democrat south.
Wouldn’t that be the opposite of voter suppression? The EC system prioritizes the votes of those living in small states more than those living in big states.

If you’re in favor of one man one vote, you need to oppose the EC.

I favor a republic, not a democracy, as did the founders. I would have opposed the 17th amendment. Even now, state legislatures have sole authority over how electors are selected. They could allow selection by the state legislators.

That’s untrue. Left leaning folks accepted that Trump was the legitimate President. They didn’t care for him but accepted he was valid.
I often wonder if Trump really believed he was legitimate.

Mueller spun stuff out to US Attorneys, so we don’t know
Sounds like you are saying he excluded potentially criminal offenses from his disclosures to congress???

That didn’t happen,

any potentially criminal behavior would have been noted and footnoted in Mueller’s report to congress. If there had been tangible charges, the Dems would have pulled more GOP votes on impeachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back