Catholic Church founded by Jesus?

• Thread starter Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As you have presented your to do list I agree with your assessment however, my to do list (outlined in previous post before I saw your post), brings me closer to Jesus.

Last edited:
I can honestly say as a Catholic that I don’t ever feel the ‘To Do’ list in my life . I am sure millions of other Catholics feel the same way. Hope that makes sense.
And I wasn’t claiming you or anyone else feels that way. I was responding to a specific comment by a forum member.

I don’t disagree that obedience and spiritual disciplines like daily Bible reading and a regular prayer time grow our faith and bring us closer to Jesus.

My point is we can be very religious and do all the “Christian things” and still miss truly knowing Jesus. Doing “Christian things” doesn’t make someone a Christian. Having a heart changed from a heart of stone to a heart of flesh by a supernatural act of God and the indwelling Holy Spirit is what makes someone a Christian.

Some people are very content to do Christian things without it really having any effect on how they live their daily life. As long as they complete the “To Do” list they think they are okay.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree with you. This is who we call the C&E Catholics but we must be careful because we truly do not know the persons soul. Speaking very generically I would assume there are people like you have outlined. However, I remember the parable in Luke 18:10 and hope I am not a Pharisee saying how good I am. I am not saying this is what you do, it is what I am afraid I am doing.

They were not slaves. They were willing servants.
"John 15:15 "I will not now call you servants:

"Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle and singled out for God’s good news- " Romans1:1
slaves -NO!!!..
But I have called you friends.
You can’ t be both? I mean it was good news to Paul.

I thought you would be familiar with Romans1:1. I would not deny the friend text. And I would think we not deny the slave text also.

Last edited:
40.png
ArchStanton:
Jn 6 the one who FEEDS ON ME will have life because of me
Another thing to do to have eternal life…put it on the salvific to do list.
walking [another thing to do]
talking [another thing to do]
reading [another thing to do]
sleeping [another thing to do]
eating [another thing to do]
praying [another thing to do]
loving others [another thing to do]

You seem to be mocking in an odd way…

As Yoda would say “That is why you fail” 🙃 😉

Last edited:
You seem to be mocking in an odd way…
No, I take His words seriously, and literally that we are to eat Him for eternal life. He is the Bread of Life. What I take figuratively is the eating, but literally unto etetnal life.

Something akin to Augustine who said leave your teeth and belly behind, that Peter ate by faith, proclaiming Jesus as Messiah, the Son of the Living God.

Last edited:
40.png
ArchStanton:
I can honestly say as a Catholic that I don’t ever feel the ‘To Do’ list in my life . I am sure millions of other Catholics feel the same way. Hope that makes sense.
And I wasn’t claiming you or anyone else feels that way. I was responding to a specific comment by a forum member.
@Ianman, maybe you need to put me on the ignore list too, but please, don’t inform me that you are going to ignore me from now on and then wish me Happy Birthday in the same breath!

Something akin to Augustine who said leave your teeth and belly behind, that Peter ate by faith, proclaiming Jesus as Messiah, the Son of the Living God.
Augustine also said this:

"Eat Christ, then; though eaten He yet lives, for when slain He rose from the dead. Nor do we divide Him into parts when we eat Him: though indeed this is done in the Sacrament, as the faithful well know when they eat the Flesh of Christ, for each receives his part, hence are those parts called graces. Yet though thus eaten in parts He remains whole and entire; eaten in parts in the Sacrament, He remains whole and entire in Heaven. "

Yet though thus eaten in parts He remains whole and entire; eaten in parts in the Sacrament, He remains whole and entire in Heaven
Some would respond better knowing his writings better. Yet if I recall, he is speaking of the one eucharist loaf, that is broken apart for us, showing oneness and unity.

Last edited:
What I take figuratively is the eating, but literally unto eternal life.
John 6:55 - For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.

How do you know, as a protestant, what to take literally and what to take figuratively? Are you using your denominations Tradition or self interpretation? This is not a knock, just curious…

mcq72 - you seem to put a lot of time and effort on these forums, and as a sporadic poster and Catholic - its really appreciated!!!

Some would respond better knowing his writings better. Yet if I recall, he is speaking of the one eucharist loaf, that is broken apart for us, showing oneness and unity.
Augustine

That bread which you see on the altar having been sanctified by the word of God is the body of Christ, That chalice, or rather, what is in that chalice, having been sanctified by the word of God, is the blood of Christ** ( Sermons 227 [ A.D. 411 ]).

What you see is the bread and the chalice, that is what your own eyes report to you. But what your faith obliges you to accept is that the bread is the body of Christ and the chalice is the blood of Christ. This has been said very briefly, which may perhaps be sufficient for faith, yet faith does not desire instruction (ibid. 272).

How do you know, as a protestant, what to take literally and what to take figuratively?
Thank you for the compliment.

How do we know anything? John in his epistle says we have an unction from the Holy Ghost, and " know all things". That does not exclude (name removed by moderator)ut from teachers, even the church, thru scripture, our norm in my opinion, even some tradition. The Spirit discerns all things.

Of course our understanding then is dependent upon our brokeness and dependency on Him, on our abiding in Him. These vary from believer to believer, even congregation to congregation, church to church, magisterium to magisterium, and finally council to council. Our “correctness” of what we espouse as truth, being pillars, is then conditional. It is not a guaranteed “once right always right”. His perfect guidance, (name removed by moderator)ut, discernment is guaranteed, but our reception and obedience to it are conditional.

So pretty sure “this is how we do it”, all of us, this knowing. Only difference besides level of “abiding” or even maturity of individuals, is concept of tradition as equally inspred as Scripture that some churches take.

Of course you are going to have differences this way, which has been from the beginning (Garden of Eden). It does not thwart God’s plan and outcome. It is in His wisdom such things are allowed, though He strives in us for oneness.

Yet one has to be amazed how birds of a feather flock together, and calling each other then brethren. What is even more amazing is that despite some differences, we can recognize the same Lord in another.

Last edited:
How do we know anything? John in his epistle says we have an unction from the Holy Ghost, and " know all things". That does not exclude (name removed by moderator)ut from teachers, even the church, thru scripture, our norm in my opinion, even some tradition. The Spirit discerns all things.
Then explain different beliefs from different christian denominations?

A baptist says, once saved, always saved. A Pentecostal says, you can lose\deny your salvation. who is right? If they are both using the Holy Ghost, pastors, parents, teachers, friends, family, etc… - who is right? I think you will agree, there is only ONE TRUTH!!! On that, the only possible answers are:
  1. Baptist is correct, Pentecostal is wrong.
    OR
  2. Pentecostal is right, Baptist is wrong.
    OR
  3. They are BOTH wrong.
Do you see, once the Authority is removed, its every man\woman(PC) for themselves… I believe there needs to be a breathing authority on Earth, like an umpire, otherwise there is no game, SOMEONE must be able to make the final call - regardless of the what the majority or minority thinks…

most of these topics could be settled if we can determine if Christ left an Authoritative Church in place or if he didn’t. Everything else would fall in line…

Again ,just my opinion and I have been wrong, more than I have been right in my life…

Peace to All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back