S
SoonerServant
Guest
Also, perhaps you missed the quote from Isaiah 28:16. The stone that he is referring to is Christ. He will be the cheif cornerstone. Not Peter, though he does play a vital role. As do all the apostles.
:bible1: My brain tells me that the teachings from the Bible are 100% the same as the teaching of the Catholic Church.…my brain.
Oh, I see. You are unaware of the fact that Jesus spoke Aramaic, not Greek. Okay…"When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:13-19)Simon Peter’s understanding that Jesus was the Son of God did not come from working it out on his own. Instead, God the Father infused this revelation into his mind thus imprinting His seal of approval upon this humble fisherman. Jesus recognized that Simon had already been anointed by His Father in this way and declared, “Blessed are you.” The Father had blessed Simon with knowledge of the Son.No, that’s not what I was saying. Instead of," and on this rock I will build my church" Why didn’t he say" and on you I will build my church."
Yes, although I thought this gospel was thought to not have been written first in Greek. Plus, I don’t care what language it was written in so much as was language Christ spoke in.Ok, I see that you are unaare of the fact that almost the entire New Testament was written in Greek. Through the years all the original manuscripts have been lost or destroyed. The only remaining are the copies. IN GREEK.
Please just explain to me the keys and the binding and loosing.And why did Jesus use the word “this”? Wouldn’t that more likely be referring to a characteristic (faith) of a person than the person himself
No question.Ok, I see that you are unaare of the fact that almost the entire New Testament was written in Greek. Through the years all the original manuscripts have been lost or destroyed. The only remaining are the copies. IN GREEK.
Sure thing…Please just explain to me the keys and the binding and loosing.
Not so.Saying,"…and on this rock I will build my church." implies that Peter is literally a rock. Surely you don’t think peter was a rock. Perhaps what He meant was that Peter had faith like a rock and on that faith he would establish his church. There isn’t more than one kind of faith. Faith is a universal characteristic. He wasn’t talking about Peter or “Peter’s faith”, but the faith of anyone who believes.
Isaiah talks about laying the “key to the House of David” on Eliakim, son of Hilkiah. Is Eliakim of the House of David? No. Is he becoming King? No. His role is what would be called a prime minister in modern monarchies. In the same way, Jesus is giving the keys to Peter. Peter is not the King, but the “prime minister” of the Church- “He who hears you, hears me.”On that day I will summon my servant Eliakim, son of Hilkiah; 21 I will clothe him with your robe, and gird him with your sash, and give over to him your authority. He shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. 22 ** I will place the key of the House of David on his shoulder; when he opens, no one shall shut, when he shuts, no one shall open.**
In order for this to be true, you must be willing to consider the following:We are the church. The ppl. Not a building. Not an organization like Catholicism. Not a majority. Not a pope and bishops. The church could exsist in one person. The church is simply the belief in Jesus Christ as the one true son of God and the obedience of those who believe.