D
dbacks5439
Guest
You sure you’re not Catholic already?Sooner, that’s a false choice. To say that the church was built by Jesus on Peter the Rock, you don’t have to deny the Church’s “foundation” on the Truth. Besides, I’m not certain whether the Bible ever calls Jesus a “rock,” per se, but it clearly calls him a “cornerstone.” If you think about it, a “foundation” must contain a cornerstone, which literally and figuratively is considered the most important part of the foundation.
I agree that Jesus didn’t abandon us. But its important to soberly consider how exactly Jesus will “be with us until the end of time.” With his teachings as found only in the Bible? What about oral teachings not found in a canonical epistle or gospel? See 2 Thess. 2:15. Moreover, although I agree that the Bible is instructive, it doesn’t always admit of just one obvious interpretation. How do we know which is correct? Open up your KJV or NIV and it will just come to you? Truly devout and God-fearing people have done just that, and come to starkly different conclusions about serious issues that impact every Christian. Do you conclude that the Holy Spirit failed one of them? Or could it possibly be (and I actually ask this seriously to those more informed than I) that we’re asking more of the Holy Spirit than we’re entitled to?