Celibacy on wedding night

• Thread starter Thread starter catholic24
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll drink vicariously for any couple that doesn’t want to. I am a Vicar, after all.

To each his own…just a suggestion. 😉
In all seriousness, it’s not a bad one. At least in the US, most couples will have a brunch the following day before the wedding party and close family head back to wherever they came from. Getting through that with a hangover would be rough.

We were married in Poland and they have a custom there, that the bride and groom cannot leave the reception until the very last guest leaves, and they do not “end the reception at such-and-such a time” — the reception ends when there are no more guests. The only thing I could figure out is that it must be some kind of quasi-superstitious thing, where the longer, the better-attended, the more joyous, and the more vigorously celebrated the reception is, the happier (and perhaps even more fecund) the marriage will be. Or maybe they just like to party.
Same here. we left when all people are left or ready to left, so around 6am.
I have difficulties to see why people are worrying about their weeding night.

And left before guests? hello? who will take care about keys, if everything is ok in the room etc? It is up to the bride and groom because it is there marriage, it is not anyone else business.

And after we have to take care of our guests needs, thoses who are sleeping in the house, and have them all put in their beds before going to bed ourselves.

The next morning there were many more family in the house, many dogs, children and noise early, (after 10 am!) so we cannot spend all the morning in bed because of corectness toward them and the need to have lunch with them (late of course!)

Last edited:
Is your wedding date locked in? Can you just try to get married outside your fiancés fertile window? Then you’re good to go.
urg?

To plan your fertile window 1 year or at the very least 6 month in advance? (dates are not set at the last minutes!)
Cristal bowl here!

It is hard to plan even a day in advance…

Op, if you are to avoid sex, to stay moral and avoid temptation, you have just to avoid sexual behaviors. Be chaste.
You can safely ignore any suggestion given to you to have any sort of sexual contact, even if it is not the full act.

Maybe the long reception is to determine if the groom is worthy. Maybe if he’s no good there’s time to remedy the situation before the marriage is consummated.
That is a witty speculation, but I doubt that is the reason. I didn’t want to bring this into it, but my wife explained that some people want to “get their money’s worth” — to enjoy at least as much food and drink as they’ve paid for with their money gift. That’s not a terribly flattering observation, but I’m just relating what she told me. Like so many things in that part of the world, I don’t think anybody really knows. It’s been my experience that they just take their traditions at face value and don’t overthink the matter.

This is from Jewish culture, which heavily influenced gentile Slavic culture, and vice versa — there is much overlap in Jewish and Polish/Russian/Ukrainian cooking — but it’s as good an explanation as any, and very enjoyable to reflect upon:

For instance, at a Polish Catholic wedding reception, the groom does not smash a wine glass as at Jewish weddings, but at the reception, the bride’s mother drops a ceramic plate flat onto the ground and breaks it, for the same reason.
40.png
AdamP88:
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
Are you suggesting violating the teachings of the Church on sexual morality within marriage?
I think he’s suggesting they break the rules of NFP on their wedding night.
Yes…what’s wrong with having sex on your wedding night…I’m confused here.
Nothing whatsoever, but you have to be able to accept the fact that you might get pregnant. Actually, with NFP (and, prescinding from the moral aspect, even with contraception — it fails too!), there is always the likelihood that the wife may get pregnant.

I won’t be dogmatic about this — it’s really just common sense (as I see it) — but if a couple can’t deal with even the remote chance that they might become parents right away, they might want to reconsider whether this is the right time to marry, and postpone getting married until a time when they can entertain the idea.

Last edited:
My bad. 😬 I thought most women had fairly predictable cycles, at least within a few days here or there. Clearly I’m off target on this one.

For some yes.

But It seems that the majority of women have cycles who are not exactly the same numbers of days every times!

And to predict many months in advance is very risky because of a divergence of 2 days there and there may means a lot after…

Some women planned their holidays to not have their periods on it… but i strongly suspect that many are on the pill, so they are artificially regular! Out of topic!

Last edited:
My bad. 😬 I thought most women had fairly predictable cycles, at least within a few days here or there. Clearly I’m off target on this one.
No, cycles can be highly erratic! Been there, done that (my wife, not me). We had a few times when her cycle was late and we said to ourselves “well, maybe this is the time”. It wasn’t, but it could have been.

When you use NFP, you tacitly admit “we are seeking to avoid pregnancy, but anything can happen, and if Almighty God has plans that are different from ours, then we will joyfully accept the gift, realizing that ultimately, it is He Who is in charge”. Catholics shouldn’t speak of “oops babies”, in fact, if a couple chooses to disclose the fact — it’s only other people’s business if you make it their business — it is a great teachable moment for those who might not accept the Church’s teaching in this matter.

No, cycles can be highly erratic! Been there, done that (my wife, not me). We had a few times when her cycle was late and we said to ourselves “well, maybe this is the time”. It wasn’t, but it could have been.
same experience here!

But maybe for some cycles we are late because of an early miscarriage that the woman is not aware of?

I read recently that the datas collected by some fertility apps shows that women are more naturally irregular than we may think… (or are teach by doctors and believed it because of the pill that regulate false periods…)

These ideas are where I have problems. Pharisees come to mind. Too many laws made by man to control every single aspect of a person’s being. It is the couple’s choice on what to do on their wedding night.
I predict the type of response I will get for this post. Having made my statement, I will mute this thread.
Dominus vobiscum

40.png
HomeschoolDad:
same experience here!

But maybe for some cycles we are late because of an early miscarriage that the woman is not aware of?
That probably happened too. But without taking a pregnancy test, there would be no way to know. We chose not to test.
These ideas are where I have problems. Pharisees come to mind. Too many laws made by man to control every single aspect of a person’s being. It is the couple’s choice on what to do on their wedding night.
The Church’s teachings on sexual morality within marriage are not man-made laws. They are divinely inspired. In their essence, they cannot change. Wrong cannot ever become right.

Where the Catholic Church’s teachings run counter to the prevailing secular consensus, they are referred to as “policies” or even “laws”, as though they are something that could change if the Church would ever “get a clue” and “get up with the times”. That’s not the way it works.

Last edited:
That probably happened too. But without taking a pregnancy test, there would be no way to know. We chose not to test.
Same here! I don’t want to test before being sure I am pregnant! 😋 To not be deceived, or panicked!

If the woman take her temperature she would known before if there is no chance of pregnancy because no ovulation yet, or if the ovulation is past and if there is any chances of pregnancy…
Catholics shouldn’t speak of “oops babies”, in fact, if a couple chooses to disclose the fact — it’s only other people’s business if you make it their business
I agree completly with you. i don’t like the division between “planned” pregnancies and unplanned one. It is artificial and a distorced way of seeing life, what is a surprise and cut between people who are desire and thoses who are not.

My child is born because we choose to not abstain on a potentially fertile period. As I was already pregnant before knwoing it, my husband spoke of an ideal gap that finally was around 1 or 1/2 year shorter… Is it a planned or an unplanned baby? Are we responsible couple or irresponsible parents?

Not sure!

Sorry, you must be interpreting what I said all wrong .
I think this might be my favourite sentence I’ve ever read on the internet.

😂

It’s like a satire of what 50% of internet comments are. Genuinely, that lifted my heart.

P.S. I’m not even weighing in on context here. I just saw that sentence while scrolling and it delighted me so much.

I keep looking back at it and collapsing into giggles. Maybe it’s time for me to sign off for the day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back