Death For Peterson...How Do You Feel?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deacon_Tony560
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I follow the faith and the Pope on this one, the death is not even remotely required in this case. The death penalty is only required when a person is a direct or potential threat to other people.

Lisa N:
Too bad. I think some of the jurors are more interested in book deals than justice.
Lisa N
Are you passing judgement on the motives and heart of another? Surely not.

If the law imposes the possibility of the death sentence on this crime, then it is a jurist’s duty to consider it, and make a decision.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Since it is a death penalty an appeal is automatic under law; there is also a good chance that the verdict or trial could be overturned. Complaints of an overly agressive judge and no physical evidence ever emerging during trial. This isn’t over.
Yes, that is one worry I have… I don’t want to see his conviction overturned.

40.png
AmyS:
Yes, that is one worry I have… I don’t want to see his conviction overturned.
I’ve got two attorney friends who say the conviction cannot hold - well we shall see what we shall see I s’pose.

40.png
TNT:
Are you passing judgement on the motives and heart of another? Surely not.

If the law imposes the possibility of the death sentence on this crime, then it is a jurist’s duty to consider it, and make a decision.
Oh I agree that they were a certified death penalty jury and thus would have to consider the possibility. However at least one of them specifically mentioned book deals and considering which verdict in the penalty phase would provide the better book deal. When you hear that kind of talk and with all of the jurors who leaked information and had other problems, I think this group may have more on their minds than simply meting out justice.

It will certainly be interesting to hear their analysis. This just doesn’t seem like the kind of case that deserves the death penalty. I even have a hard time thinking it’s murder one but maybe I am hopelessly naive.

Lisa N

I would like to provide a small correction here.

Peterson did not get death.

The jury has recommend the death penalty.

Unlike some states, the judge is not bound by the juries recommendation. That is why they will have sentencing on 2/25/05. Then the judge will rule.

The analysts on CourtTV do not think the judge will change the recommendation but he can. He can chose to change it to life in prison with no possibility for parole.

40.png
NightRider:
I am completely opposed to the death penalty and I believe Peterson would suffer much more and more appropriately if he was required to live and remain in prison for the rest of his natural life. He should have the rest of his natural life to be continually reminded about what he did to his wife and baby.
I agree. We might find out more in time. From the time the judge rules in Jan, if he is sentanced to death, he will probably have 10 years before all the appeals are up.

40.png
ByzCath:
I would like to provide a small correction here.

Peterson did not get death.

The jury has recommend the death penalty.

Unlike some states, the judge is not bound by the juries recommendation. That is why they will have sentencing on 2/25/05. Then the judge will rule.

The analysts on CourtTV do not think the judge will change the recommendation but he can. He can chose to change it to life in prison with no possibility for parole.
Yes, you are right… Thanks for pointing that out. It is up to the judge now.

Lisa N:
This just doesn’t seem like the kind of case that deserves the death penalty. I even have a hard time thinking it’s murder one but maybe I am hopelessly naive. Lisa N
God bless you, but while we are speculating, let me try it out also.

Speculation:
In January 04, Laci would begin to consider converting to the Catholic faith, be baptized, and begin a new life of sanctity. She would have made the final decision in Jan 05, and have her baby baptized as well.
As a result of her brutal husband, none of that will ever take place. She dies as an agnostic, and the baby dies without baptism.
Her husband will have years to arrive at the Truth, and have every opportunity to repent, enter the Church, be Baptized, and can even work out a plenary indulgence.
Laci and babe were deprived of all this in the twinkling of an eye at the hand of her protector.

To betray a sacred trust of defending your family where they look to you to provide protection and safety, allow themselves to be most vulnerable to you, by becoming their angel of death is beyond disgust and way beyond outrage. This is my answer to “How Do You Feel”.

God Bless

DNT,

You bring-up many good points. Yet, think of Jesus dying a brutal death on the cross, He forgave us during those horrible and unspeakably painful moments. Jesus could have wiped out all of humanity during His passion, yet instead He forgave us. We are supposed to make every attempt to live by Jesus’ example.

Consider these passages:

Romans 12:19-21 (RSV-CE)
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” No, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Hebrews 10:30 (RSV-CE)
For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

40.png
TPJCatholic:
TNT,

Consider these passages:

Romans 12:19-21 (RSV-CE)
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” No, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Hebrews 10:30 (RSV-CE)
For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Do not confuse personal relations with the State as God’s valid agency.
Laci’s family is bound to forgive, if Scott is repentant and admits his crime by coming “clean”.
The State is bound to make Society whole again by excercising God’s commandments as they have been revealed to us through the constant teaching of your Church, and it’s Scriptures.
If one were to assume that these texts that you reference apply to the actions of the governing authority and not individual obligations, then one would clearly find that government could not enforce any law which sought to protect the lives and property of its law abiding citizens. There is no reference to capital punishment in the text.
Therefore, all wrongdoers, be they robbers, rapists or murderers could act repeatedly, with impunity, if the text was an obligation on the governing authority to forgive and forget.
This text is directed at individuals and has no application to the governing authority or its right and duty to execute.
Read the wisdom of the popes as they make declarations. [PV, PXII] Read the wisdom of the Catholic Faith for 2000 Years.
Surely you do not think that they over looked these passages.
May we have some passages that address the governing authority, in relation to punishment, retribution, death penalty?
I did give you a few. It’s your turn.
“Do not seek to be more righteous than thy Creator.”
God bless
ps. I am not trying to change your mind. I am only expressing mine and the reasons for it.

Deacon Tony560:
What do you think?
While what Scott Peterson allegedly did was and is deplorable, I do not believe that he should be executed. He should spend the rest of his life in prison, but execution should be reserved only for those who are a continued public menace (i.e., those who will continue to deliberately murder others). Osama Bin Laden, if he is caught, should be executed. Al-Zarqawi, if he is caught, should be executed. But Scott Peterson is unlikely to murder again.

Meanwhile, OJ Simpson continues to search for Nicole’s killer. Go figure!http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

I’m opposed to the death penalty except in severe cases (i.e. Dalmer, Manson, et al). I know that’s vague, and I believe it should be.

As far as the Peterson case, I wouldn’t have voted for it if I were on the jury (based on my personal belief, above). However, I do trust our jury system and don’t share the cynicism mentioned earlier regarding book deals. I was foreman on a three-strikes jury, and it is not an easy process. People who make judgements on the juries in big cases (Simpson included - even though I think he did it) didn’t sit through the same evidence and arguments.

As mentioned, there are 650 on death row in CA since 1978, and only 10 have been put to death. Chances are he’ll have a long time to contemplate his sin and damnation.

Though he won’t have pictures on the cell wall, San Quentin cells overlook the same bay where he dumped Laci and Conner’s bodies. Every times he looks out his window, he will probably remember his terrible act.

My prayers are with all involved: Laci, Conner, Scott and their family members.

Pax,

Robert.

I don’t think that the death penalty should be imposed in this case. I agree with what the Pope teaches and I believe that Peterson does not seem to me to pose a threat to society. I could be wrong. However, what does concern me is the millions of dollars this case will eventually cost the taxpayers because of appeals. And, the amount of money it costs to keep this guy alive in prison…$100,000 per year??

4 marks:
… He should spend the rest of his life in prison, but execution should be reserved only for those who are a continued public menace (i.e., those who will continue to deliberately murder others). Osama Bin Laden, if he is caught, should be executed. Al-Zarqawi, if he is caught, should be executed. But Scott Peterson is unlikely to murder again.
I agree… I am opposed to the death penalty except in the case of those examples given above.
Annunciata

I still see a role for the death penalty in America only so far as is required to protect society. I do not see where the Peterson case presents an on-going threat to society if he was incarcerated. I hope the judge overrules the jury.

I am sad. I am glad he was found guilty. But I do not believe in the death penalty.

Many who live deserve death, and some who die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends…
Gandalf Lord of the Rings
J.R.R. Tolkien

40.png
rayne89:
I am sad. I am glad he was found guilty. But I do not believe in the death penalty.

Many who live deserve death, and some who die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends…
Gandalf Lord of the Rings
J.R.R. Tolkien

Pray for the judge making the decision in the end…

Allowing the judge or jury to impose the death penalty is absurd if it is not going to be carried out swiftly. Letting someone languish on death row, which usually means in solitary, for 30-50 years during endless appeals is cruel and unusual punishment. Either swift justice and execution, or life in prison without possibility of parole, but not this judicial limbo.

40.png
catsrus:
I could not have said this better. The only thing I would add is that he should be required to have photos of his pregnant wife on the walls of his cell.
I agree with you, also if possible computer images of little Conor of how he would look as the years go by..for example age 3, age 5, age 13 ect. Life would have been a better choice for this "person" (only word I can use to describe with out using a bad word). The death penalty will not bring back that young woman or her baby boy. But I believe he should be punished with "life with no chance of parole"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back