Death For Peterson...How Do You Feel?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deacon_Tony560
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
TNT,

My message was not speaking about governing bodies; rather, my message was directed to you as an individual child of God. As Christians, it is certainly within our scope to insure that innocent people are not in danger; however, it is not within our scope to seek to face evil with evil.

IMO, there is no “Christian” justification for the death penalty in the United States (the passages you posted were mainly OT verses and they are not part of the commandments).

1 Thessalonians 5:15 (RSV-CE)
See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all.

Luke 9:54-55 (RSV-CE)
And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, “Lord, do you want us to bid fire come down from heaven and consume them?” But he turned and rebuked them.

Matthew 5:38-42 (RSV-CE)
"You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you.

Pope John Paul II
In his encyclical “Evangelium Vitae” issued March 25, 1995 after four years of consultations with the world’s Roman Catholic bishops, John Paul II wrote that execution is only appropriate

"in cases of absolute necessity, in other words, when it would not be possible otherwise to defend society. Today, however, as a result of steady immprovement in the organization of the penal system, such cases are very rare, if not practically nonexistent."

The Catechism of the Catholic Church

Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.

If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people’s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and more in conformity with the
dignity of the human person.

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitively taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity “are very rare, if not practically non-existent.”

40.png
TPJCatholic:
TNT,

IMO, there is no “Christian” justification for the death penalty in the United States (the passages you posted were mainly OT verses and they are not part of the commandments).
I can think of some cases here in California where it is…

I can’t see how the death penalty can be justified in this case. It’s not the only way society can be protected from him. If society’s been protected from Charles Manson all this time, I don’t think Scott Peterson is any threat.

No matter what a person has done, whether it is a civil crime or a personal harm, we are commanded to forgive from our hearts. Someone hurt me very badly and for a long time I was very angry & vindictive…even in my prayers. Then I was struck by the words of the Our Father when it says “And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” and I had to accept that the measure that I used against my enemy would be used to measure to me and that would be a fearful thing indeed. There were even times when I couldn’t even say the Our Father because I knew that I would be asking for my own destruction. I broke down and asked Our Lord to help me forgive and I begged Him to give mercy and grace to my enemy in the very same measure that He has given to me. ( A great deal.) I never want to go before Him to receive the same measure that I used to want to use against them.

I think of St. Therese The Little Flower and the murderer that she read about in the papers and began to pray for…he converted before he died.

I love the Divine Mercy Chaplet and find myself offering it for nameless sinners that have no one to pray for them as well as myself and my enemy.

Maybe this helps…maybe not…I don’t know. These are just the things that come to my mind. We have a great many people and things to pray for. Maybe before I die I’ll become a Carmelite…LOL

:gopray2:

I felt very glad, but now I feel sad. I believe it was the right decision, but it won’t bring back Laci and Conner. What is, in my humble opinion, poetic justice, is where he will stay until his execution. San Quentin, which overlooks the bay where he dumped the bodies of Laci and Conner. Maybe God allowed the death penalty recomendation so Scott will have his crime in his face(literally) so he can repent.

Re: Death For Peterson…How Do You Feel?

Not good
  1. generally opposed to death penalty but I am open to its use if the circumstance merits, this doesn’t seem like it merits with so many alternative punishments available to us.
2)specifically opposed to death penalty when conviction is made with no direct physical evidence linking convicted to the murder and no witnesses (doesn’t mean I think he didn’t do it, just that the probable doubt of conviction is a softer benchmark than the surety of a death sentence)

God Bless

PS don’t forget to pray for peterson and his family too

Church Militant:
No matter what a person has done, whether it is a civil crime or a personal harm, we are commanded to forgive from our hearts. Someone hurt me very badly and for a long time I was very angry & vindictive…even in my prayers. Then I was struck by the words of the Our Father when it says “And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” and I had to accept that the measure that I used against my enemy would be used to measure to me and that would be a fearful thing indeed. There were even times when I couldn’t even say the Our Father because I knew that I would be asking for my own destruction. I broke down and asked Our Lord to help me forgive and I begged Him to give mercy and grace to my enemy in the very same measure that He has given to me. ( A great deal.) I never want to go before Him to receive the same measure that I used to want to use against them.

I think of St. Therese The Little Flower and the murderer that she read about in the papers and began to pray for…he converted before he died.

I love the Divine Mercy Chaplet and find myself offering it for nameless sinners that have no one to pray for them as well as myself and my enemy.

Maybe this helps…maybe not…I don’t know. These are just the things that come to my mind. We have a great many people and things to pray for. Maybe before I die I’ll become a Carmelite…LOL

:gopray2:
Truely, bless your heart… But, it is not our place to forgive him, just like we aren’t the ones to judge… He didn’t commit the crime towards us. Praying for him is great… But, it is up to God and the people he hurt directly to forgive. Pray for them all. You know how personal forgiveness is.

While the Catechism does not explicitly forbid the death penalty - the situation we in most of the western world enjoy is not one in which the death penalty is applicable - Besides the whole appeal thing is cruel and unusual punishment for all parties, the criminal, the victims and the taxpayer.
In this case the evidence seems pretty limited also - from a purely news service informed point of view!
We simply don’t need to be using the death penalty at the persent - not that things couldn’t change

40.png
puzzleannie:
Allowing the judge or jury to impose the death penalty is absurd if it is not going to be carried out swiftly. Letting someone languish on death row, which usually means in solitary, for 30-50 years during endless appeals is cruel and unusual punishment. Either swift justice and execution, or life in prison without possibility of parole, but not this judicial limbo.
Generally a convict isn’t ‘languishing’ on Death Row, he is engaged in a series of appeals. I am not sure they are in solitary either, unless they pose a danger to society.

Depending on the number of appeals Peterson avails himself of, estimates are up to 25 years before he would be put to death. We have had the death penalty in this state for over 20 years. In that time exactly TWO people have been executed, both because they basically volunteered by refusing to appeal their cases. Believe me we have plenty of bad dudes that may well deserve their sentencing. But they are going to play it to the bitter end. Far as I know there isn’t a single one coming up for execution in the near future.

Funny though how the “rights” people want it both ways. They want all this due process to protect the criminal but they think the lengthy time period is cruel and unsual (btw puzzleannie, I don’t put you in that category, just pointing out the dichotomy). I’d like to get rid of the death penalty except in the most exceptional circumstances (someone mentioned Bin Laden and Zarqawi and I agree). Aside from any moral convictions, it would save millions in legal fees.

Lisa N

40.png
TPJCatholic:
TNT,
My message was not speaking about governing bodies; rather, my message was directed to you as an individual child of God.
I did not sentence him, the state did. Nor would I unless state put me in that position of authority, and that authority required me to consider the DP.
On this whole post, I think I’m the lone wolf on considering the victims and the gravity of crime against them. No longer able to speak to us or receive any justice at all since they are cold corpses.
(the passages you posted were mainly
OT verses and they are not part of the commandments).
Is only 2 of 5 main? I could site more and they would all be NT on the state’s right to use the death penalty. I also put in 2 Popes, one a Saint. I could also put in doctors of the Church. But I know you’ve heard all that.

The whole confusion or problem is :
  1. The DP is assumed now to be **only **for the future safety of society. This is not the case and never has been until 1995.
  2. JPII does not say that safety is the only reason for the DP, but he implies. He cannot say that it IS the only reason, because he would be in conflict with the constant Magisterium of His Church.
I can only go by the constant Teaching of the RCC vs a straw man argument on public safety.
Of course one could make a case against the DP if only public safety was its purpose. That’s why all the Anti-DP people confine it to that.
In that respect, it is no different from the pro-choice wanting to confine the debate to “woman’s choice or woman controlling her body (same thing)” as the only point of the issue. We must bring in life from conception, and the constant teaching of the Church, along with today’s science, and they will refuse to allow those points on the issue.
Today’s catholics will refuse to quote the doctors, Scriptures or popes of the past because it shows that public safety was** not** the primary purpose of the DP.
God Bless.
ps, I know you have verses in the NT on the obligation of the state not to exercise the DP. Now would be a good time to publish them.

I am glad I live in a state that does not have the death penalty. I don’t think I could serve effectively as a juror, should I have to have that responsibility.

As long as he is alive, there is a chance for true repentance for this most heinous sin. The death penalty eliminates that chance. Scott being executed will not bring Laci & Connor back, and most of the victim’s families are disappointed by the lack of satisfaction/closure they were seeking. Also, the victim’s family must really suffer, because I can’t imagine them picking up their life after every appeal.

I really have no feelings on this case except for a great sadness that a Mother’s life was taken along with her child.

Generally I am pro-capital punishment. That is I do believe that the State should have recourse to this punishment option in certain cases. In specific, I am against the way that capital punishment is used most of the time.

That being said, this is a law that is on the books in California and I do not think arguing the merits of it does any good, nor does second guessing the jurors in this case.

Having said that I have some comments in reply to some what what was posted.
4 marks:
While what Scott Peterson allegedly did was and is deplorable, I do not believe that he should be executed.
Scott Peterson “allegedly” did nothing. He was convicted, he murdered Laci and Conner. There is nothing “alleged” in this case any longer. He has been convicted, he did it.
40.png
TPJCatholic:
How about this?
2267 Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.
If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people’s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitely taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity “are very rare, if not practically non-existent.”
This is a Christian justification and I think it can and does apply in certain cases.
Church Militant:
No matter what a person has done, whether it is a civil crime or a personal harm, we are commanded to forgive from our hearts.
Yes we are called to forgive, but that forgiveness does not alleviate the need for punishment. Nor are we called to forget.

I have experienced this. I have forgiven an individual who has hurt me repeatedly in the past. The reason I was hurt repeatedly is that I kept placing myself in the same situations as before. So now I have resolved not to do so. So while I have forgiven, I will not allow myself to be in a situation with this individual where they can hurt me in the same way once again.

I felt so much relief when the guilty verdict was announced. I’ve followed this case from the beginning and there is no doubt in my mind that he killed them. However, I do not feel any joy of satisfaction that he may get the death penalty. I will keep praying for his conversion, that’s all I can do.

I think it’s very unlikely that he’ll ever be executed anyways. He has more of a chance of dying of natural causes than actually getting an execution date. I just feel so bad for his family. They are his victims also.

ByzCath,

In post #51 you appear to agree with me, have I misunderstood you?

40.png
TPJCatholic:
ByzCath,

In post #51 you appear to agree with me, have I misunderstood you?
You misunderstood me, maybe because I was’nt to clear on what I was saying.

The Catechism lays out a Christian justification of capital punishment and as I stated I am for it as I think that the State should have recourse to this punishment option in certain cases.

TNT,

I agree fully that the DP is not ONLY for safety, there is an element of justice to the use of the DP. However, Jesus did not use the DP when He could have very easily. He did not condemn to death all of the people who were guilty of His passion and death, He did not allow the adulteress woman to be stoned to death (even though the Mosaic Law calls for that form of justice). Jesus brought in a new era, it is an era of grace, not the Law.

The Mosaic Law (or Torah), for all Christians, is to be used to help us recognize sin, we are not bound to following the Mosaic Law. Through faith in Christ we are called to a much higher level of morality–we are called to follow His example.

***For no human being will be justified in his sight by works of the law, since through the law comes knowledge of sin. ***

ByzCath,

Yes, and I agree fully that in certain rare case capital punishment is appropriate and is allowed by God, yet it would take a lot to convince me that it is EVER needed in the United States.

Do we know anything about the religious background of the families involved? I seem to recall that Scott went to a Catholic highschool in San Diego. Was Laci and her family Catholic? If so, they did not seem to be living the faith since her mom and her step dad are not married.

I too am pretty much against the death penalty. I CAN see uses in the US; mostly to protect other prisoners from very violent murders (when one prisoner fatally stabs another, we failed in our duty to protect him)

Peterson does not rise to that danger level. The death penalty is completely inappropriate for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back