Death For Peterson...How Do You Feel?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deacon_Tony560
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t believe in the death penalty except in very extreme cases (like Bundy). In Scott Peterson’s case, he might have the opportunity to repent in prison and save his soul. He will die of natural causes while in prison anyway, because there are so many on death row ahead of him.
I was saddened when I saw all those people around the courthouse, cheering. There’s nothing to cheer about and I think we should pray for Jackie and Lee Peterson as well as Laci’s family.

Every soul is precious.

Blessings,
Shannin

40.png
rlg94086:
I apologize for inferring something crude, but Scott actually has a double whammy against him. Crime against a pregnant woman, and he’s a good looking guy. I’m afraid he is in for something a little different than being waited on hand and foot.
Yes, but, I also said that it depends on the personality types that are around him… You are probably right. I have just heard it goes both ways. Maybe his good looks will work for him… I am sorry that is bad, that was really bad.

40.png
shannin:
I don’t believe in the death penalty except in very extreme cases (like Bundy). In Scott Peterson’s case, he might have the opportunity to repent in prison and save his soul.
“The gallows doth wonderfully concentrate the mind.” - Dr. Samuel Johnson
Paul

40.png
TPJCatholic:
TNT,
I agree fully that the DP is not ONLY for safety, there is an element of justice to the use of the DP. However, Jesus did not use the DP when He could have very easily.
Actually, justice is foundational to the DP, not a mere element. He was not the state authority in His Human Nature. Thus He could not sentence anyone outside the State’s authority. In fact He was submitting to the state’s authority, even when it was unjust in his case.
"Thou shouldst not have any power against me, unless it were given thee from above" (John 19:10). Further, when He responded to the repentent thief, He had a perfect opportunity to condemn the DP. The thief said it was* just*, and He did not correct him.
He did not allow the adulteress woman to be stoned to death (even though the Mosaic Law calls for that form of justice).
Actually, he says “he who is without sin, CAST the first stone.” This is far from disallowing. He restricts CASTing only to those who were sinless or without guilt themselves in this matter. This is not a prohibition of the DP.
The Mosaic Law (or Torah), for all Christians, is to be used to help us recognize sin, we are not bound to following the Mosaic Law.
I quoted Genesis: It is part of the TORAH but long PRECEDES the Mosaic Law. We do not abandon Genesis as a Mosaic Law.
Through faith in Christ we are called to a much higher level of morality–we are called to follow His example.
This quite beside the point. I asked where the NT denied the state use of the DP.
At this point may I assume you concede that there is none?
Genesis cannot be dismissed, as God does not retract the state’s obligation to dispense justice through the DP. He even gives you the reason for His rule. And, he acts on that command through the state’s God given authority.
Your Catholic God is not one who has denied justice and only works on mercy. Charity has the requirement of both.
Read the Church’s constant historical (and consequently) infallible teaching on this matter.

I have quoted 2 popes (one a Saint in Heaven), and you oppose them by promoting the opposite. Were they wrong or not? Doesn’t the SSPX do the very same thing today…pick and choose… becoming their own magisterium?
We are not Mormons who declare that their current “prophet” can contradict a previous one on matters of faith and morals. They just throw out the teaching of the predecessors. That’s why they have no credibility with a thinking person. To them God just changed His mind and still does.
God Bless

TNT,

First, the first five books of the OT is the Torah, including Deuternony and Genesis.

Second, we do NOT live under the law, we live under grace.

Third, I never once said that the NT forbids the DP, you have made that charge against me, yet if you go back and look, you will see that I never once made such an innaccurate claim.

I have posted critical catechism references that reflects the Church’s **actual current **teachings regarding the death penalty. However, you seemed to have missed that reference, so let us go through it together once again:

***2267 ***
***Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility ***have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.

==> In the case we are speaking of it appears the guilty party has been identified and the DP is not automatically excluded. However, we must follow Church teachings and ask ourselves “is the DP in this case the ONLY possible way of defending the public against the aggressor” (note: only possible way).

If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people’s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and more in conformity with the dignity of the human person. Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitively taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity "are very rare, if not practically non-existent."

==> In the case we are speaking of, there are most definitely non-lethal means sufficient to defend and protect the people from the aggressor (life in prison without the possibility of parole does the trick).

==> Notice the second portion that speaks about redemption, killing the guilty party takes away the possibility of redemption, which should never be taken lightly. Further notice that the catechism states clearly that it is very rare, if not pratically non-existent, to execute an offender in TODAY’S WORLD.

You have consistently tried to lean on the statements from previous Popes, yet I know you are intelligent enough to realize that during their years in the Papacy the world was much different, the world did not have the prison system that we have today, convicts were routinely capable of escaping prison, which means they would become a direct threat to the public. None of those conditions exist today–not in the United States.

As for out tit-for-tat on Scriptural references, I can post many more, and so can you. We either acknowledge the authority of Jesus’ Church and Magisterium, or we do not. The Church teaches very clearly about the DP, as I demonstrated above, you can either choose to accept the Divine authority the Church has, or you can choose to rely on your own authority…the choice is your’s to make.

A final note: it is deeply disturbing to me to witness the depth of bloodlust present in many posts regarding the DP (and across society in general). It serves us well to remember that every person is loved by our Lord, every person! I pray and hope that Hitler was redeemed before his death. Using your example of Christ on the cross with the thieves, do not forget that one of the thieves was redeemed by Christ just before he died. Loving our enemies was not a suggestion.

I don’t think it would matter anyway. If he received life in prison, he would meet the same fate as Dahmer…heck, he may even be killed before he is executed by the state…The prisoners, although bad people, do have a degree of honor among them, and there is nothing they hate more than people who rape little children or murder their own children…there have been reports that inmates can’t wait for him to arrive, because they want to deliver justice.

Either way, sending him to prison is a death sentence…a state imposed death sentence would probably be more humane than one delivered by the inmates.

Amen Shannin…but remember…even Hitler would have been able to repent prior to his death if he truly had a contrite heart…there is no boundries of forgiveness with our Lord Jesus Christ…so even Bundy could have repented…don’t get me wrong…I am not saying I am opposed to the death…because I support it in certain instances…all I am saying is that everyone has the ability to accept Jesus into their hearts prior to death, make a conversion, and make it to heaven.
40.png
shannin:
I don’t believe in the death penalty except in very extreme cases (like Bundy). In Scott Peterson’s case, he might have the opportunity to repent in prison and save his soul. He will die of natural causes while in prison anyway, because there are so many on death row ahead of him.
I was saddened when I saw all those people around the courthouse, cheering. There’s nothing to cheer about and I think we should pray for Jackie and Lee Peterson as well as Laci’s family.

Every soul is precious.

Blessings,
Shannin

40.png
NightRider:
I am completely opposed to the death penalty and I believe Peterson would suffer much more and more appropriately if he was required to live and remain in prison for the rest of his natural life. He should have the rest of his natural life to be continually reminded about what he did to his wife and baby.
I agree. I would hope living in prison would give him the time to repent. No one is outside of Gods forgiveness until they are dead and gone. Since he would not be a threat to anyone, I see no reason to kill him.

How does my family feel 'bout death for Peterson? Apalled, to say the least that death should be chosen…it won’t bring Lacey and Conner back.

He should spend the rest of his life in an 10 X 12 cell with only a Bible or the religious book of his choice to read. He should get 3 meals a day, a shower twice a week, an hour a day of exercise and medical care as needed. He should not have TV, radio, newspapers, or other printed material (other than his religious book). The only humans he should have contact with are the guards, medical personnel and a representative of his chosen religion. This way he would have plenty of time to repent and to pray for himself and the rest of the world, sort of a forced contemplative monastic life.

It’s a given that what Scott did to Laci and Connor is horrible, but how is killing Scott going to help anyone? Scott should spend the rest of his life in prison where he can hopefully contribute to the prison population and repent for what he did.

Every soul is precious in the eyes of God. Jesus loves Scott just as much as He loves all of us and only He knows what is in Scott’s heart. It’s not up to us to kill Scott.

In this case, the death penalty will not help anyone involved.

Blessings,
Shannin

40.png
Lance:
He should spend the rest of his life in an 10 X 12 cell with only a Bible or the religious book of his choice to read. He should get 3 meals a day, a shower twice a week, an hour a day of exercise and medical care as needed. He should not have TV, radio, newspapers, or other printed material (other than his religious book). The only humans he should have contact with are the guards, medical personnel and a representative of his chosen religion. This way he would have plenty of time to repent and to pray for himself and the rest of the world, sort of a forced contemplative monastic life.
As much as part of me wants to hang him, I like your idea.

Except 10 x 12 is awful roomy. I vote 8x8

and those nasty cost guard survival rations for his food.
👍

40.png
TPJCatholic:
Preceeding, I said:
I quoted Genesis: It is part of the TORAH
You replied:
First, the first five books of the OT is the Torah, including Deuternony and Genesis.
Are you trying to reassure me that we agree? Otherwise why repeat what I said?
Preceediing, I said:
We do not abandon Genesis as a Mosaic Law

Second, we do NOT live under the law, we live under grace.

Third, I never once said that the NT forbids the DP, you have made that charge against me, yet if you go back and look, you will see that I never once made such an innaccurate claim.

I have posted critical catechism references that reflects the Church’s **actual current **teachings regarding the death penalty. However, you seemed to have missed that reference, so let us go through it together once again:

***2267 ***
***Assuming that the guilty party’s identity and responsibility ***have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.

==> In the case we are speaking of it appears the guilty party has been identified and the DP is not automatically excluded. However, we must follow Church teachings and ask ourselves “is the DP in this case the ONLY possible way of defending the public against the aggressor” (note: only possible way).

If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people’s safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and more in conformity with the dignity of the human person. Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitively taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity "are very rare, if not practically non-existent."

==> In the case we are speaking of, there are most definitely non-lethal means sufficient to defend and protect the people from the aggressor (life in prison without the possibility of parole does the trick).

==> Notice the second portion that speaks about redemption, killing the guilty party takes away the possibility of redemption, which should never be taken lightly. Further notice that the catechism states clearly that it is very rare, if not pratically non-existent, to execute an offender in TODAY’S WORLD.

You have consistently tried to lean on the statements from previous Popes, yet I know you are intelligent enough to realize that during their years in the Papacy the world was much different, the world did not have the prison system that we have today, convicts were routinely capable of escaping prison, which means they would become a direct threat to the public. None of those conditions exist today–not in the United States.

As for out tit-for-tat on Scriptural references, I can post many more, and so can you. We either acknowledge the authority of Jesus’ Church and Magisterium, or we do not. The Church teaches very clearly about the DP, as I demonstrated above, you can either choose to accept the Divine authority the Church has, or you can choose to rely on your own authority…the choice is your’s to make.

A final note: it is deeply disturbing to me to witness the depth of bloodlust present in many posts regarding the DP (and across society in general). It serves us well to remember that every person is loved by our Lord, every person! I pray and hope that Hitler was redeemed before his death. Using your example of Christ on the cross with the thieves, do not forget that one of the thieves was redeemed by Christ just before he died. Loving our enemies was not a suggestion.

40.png
Mac6yver:
I am generally against the death penalty, but this case I am definetly against it. The evidence was all very circumstantial. I concede that it looks bad for Peterson, but it is still circumstantial.
Mac6yver:

DITTO! I was going to write a nearly identical opinion. There was not ONE piece of physical evidence in the house or truck or boat that showed that a murder was committed. If the circumstantial evidence was sufficient in the minds of the Jury to convict, then they HAD to have doubts remaining.

Francesco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back