Death For Peterson...How Do You Feel?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deacon_Tony560
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Mac6yver:
I am generally against the death penalty, but this case I am definetly against it. The evidence was all very circumstantial. I concede that it looks bad for Peterson, but it is still circumstantial.
I agree. I support the death penalty for cut-and-dried cases like Charlie Manson, Jeffery Daumer et al but not when it’s a circumstantial evidence case. Granted, it’s good evidence, enough to convict, but I would back away from the ultimate penalty.

I wish I was certain he would suffer in life for this, but unfortunately some people have an amazing capability to deny or rationalize just about anything. Or at least up until the last moments.

40.png
NightRider:
I just know you are right–and I didn’t consider how appeals tie up the courts for so long. He might *want *to die after waiting and appealing for so long…
Or he might die of natural causes because of the long appeal process

If he’s allowed to mingle in prison, he will be killed there.

A lot of those big bad boys have kids, and don’t take too kindly to those who harm children (for the most part).

40.png
Trelow:
If he’s allowed to mingle in prison, he will be killed there.

A lot of those big bad boys have kids, and don’t take too kindly to those who harm children (for the most part).
That the thing with these cases… It depends on where he is placed in the prison. Sometimes men like Scott are idealized because of their notoriety. Some inmates might wait on him hand and foot, depending on their personallity type.

40.png
NightRider:
I am completely opposed to the death penalty and I believe Peterson would suffer much more and more appropriately if he was required to live and remain in prison for the rest of his natural life. He should have the rest of his natural life to be continually reminded about what he did to his wife and baby.
How can you be opposed to the death penalty but wish spiritual death upon someone? I’m no fan of the death penalty either but I think the best situation is to have Peterson repent and accept Christ - go to confession and liberate his soul - so that he could unite his self-inflicted sufferings to Christ and do great good for others in prayer.

40.png
catsrus:
I could not have said this better. The only thing I would add is that he should be required to have photos of his pregnant wife on the walls of his cell.
I think what he did is reprehensible - it doesn’t get much worse - but I don’t think your approach is Christian - I think he should be required to have a Christian counselor the rest of his life. Promoting torture is not a Christian approach. Promoting repentance is.

I am divided in my personal feelings about the death penalty mostly because before my conversion to the catholic faith I was very pro-death penalty. But now, I try to align my thoughts with the Church’s view.
HOWEVER… Scott Peterson and any other killer knows what the law says and what the penalty is for his crime. The state is putting him to death - so it is his own damn fault and I reserve my sympathy for all the lives he ruined. Damn fool. :mad:
We as Christians are suppose to submit to the leaders and the law that is over us - so in that way I agree that the death penalty is in order for him - and in that sense he is getting what he deserves here on earth.

Not to sound flippant… but who is Scott Peterson?

What I really mean is, why am I bombarded with this horrible story from half a country away, when very similar stories have occured right in my own neighborhood that barely see the light of page 4 in the newspaper? I’m sure the same is true in other cities. It is horrible for a pregnant women to be murdered, or any person for that matter. But why aren’t the other pregnant women ever given as much attention? Were they movie stars or something? I never heard of either of them before all this. It shouldn’t matter, are people are equally important.

40.png
watertower:

What I really mean is, why am I bombarded with this horrible story from half a country away, when very similar stories have occured right in my own neighborhood that barely see the light of page 4 in the newspaper? I’m sure the same is true in other cities. It is horrible for a pregnant women to be murdered, or any person for that matter. But why aren’t the other pregnant women ever given as much attention? Were they movie stars or something? I never heard of either of them before all this. It shouldn’t matter, are people are equally important.
It was fascinating because they were very much “the family next door.” There was also a lot of intrigue and drama surrounding the case. No one is suggesting that the deaths of others occuring everyday is any less important.

Actually, I think he’s pretty safe in California…The death penalty there is more like a life sentence…He can count on at LEAST twenty years of appeal, etc…

Catholic Heart

The death penalty is useless. I am 65, and I will probably die before he is ever executed. The death penalty do not deter anything. Everybody knows that the chances are slim that they will ever be excuted.

40.png
watertower:

Why do you care that people care…? It is better than us not caring. Plus, these type of cases are the ones that lead to laws being changed. Be thankful for the notoriety…

I am a big fan of the death penalty. I only wish it were carried out more swiftly. This is the only issue on which I disagree with the Holy Father.

I believe that when we let murderers live, we trivialize their crimes and devalue the lives of those they murdered. I think it is logically inconsistent to be pro-life yet against the death penalty.

Every 10 years or so, usually on the anniversary of the Tate-LaBianca murders, Charlie Manson gets the spotlight. He is interviewed by the press and gets to spew his twisted venom to a new generation. It makes me sick. Had he been put to death, this abomination would never occur.
…Thus you shall purge the evil from among you. - Deuteronomy 19:19
God forgive us,
Paul

40.png
AmyS:
Why do you care that people care…? It is better than us not caring. Plus, these type of cases are the ones that lead to laws being changed. Be thankful for the notoriety…
Yes, one positive note is that the baby was consistently referred to by name and as “Laci’s unborn son.” This promotes the idea of personhood for unborn babies. I think naming the federal law “Laci & Connor’s Law” reflects a change in attitude. Our state sadly still consideres an unborn baby a “blob”

As to the reason for notoriety, originally it was a missing person’s case. It happened on Christmas eve and the country was riveted by the “search for Laci.” You will note the same response to the recent case in Salt Lake, where the pregnant woman ‘disappeared.’ That case just happened to be resolved quickly while this case dragged on and on.

Of course many of us ask what Greta Van Sustren will do until the sentencing hearing…she’s been a one trick pony on this case.

Lisa N

Great discussion. Being an ex-cop, I had no trouble with the death penalty. But I have begun to see the Holy Father’s wisdom. I believe in the sacredness of life in the womb, should I be demanding death for those who can be locked up and not be a danger to others? Somehow, this seems to be against life.

Deacon Tony SFO

40.png
AmyS:
That the thing with these cases… It depends on where he is placed in the prison. Sometimes men like Scott are idealized because of their notoriety. Some inmates might wait on him hand and foot, depending on their personallity type.
I apologize for inferring something crude, but Scott actually has a double whammy against him. Crime against a pregnant woman, and he’s a good looking guy. I’m afraid he is in for something a little different than being waited on hand and foot.

40.png
PaulDupre:
I am a big fan of the death penalty. I only wish it were carried out more swiftly. This is the only issue on which I disagree with the Holy Father…
God forgive us,
Paul
AMEN!
You are in the camp of the perenial teachings of the Church, along with all the popes who spoke about the justice of the death penalty (At least 3), along with sainted doctors of the Church.

Not a single one used “public safety” as the primary point…until 1995.

None on this thread seems to realize that the “public safety” issue is not even relevant in the Church’s foundational Teaching on this matter.

Once he is locked away for the rest of his life, he no longer poses a threat to society. Killing him is a sick, perverted form of societal self-gratification that is simply unacceptable.

The Lord will take Scott Peterson at the time and place of His choosing, regardless of Peterson’s sins.

The Death Penalty is always wrong according to the Church and to common sense.

40.png
TNT:
Not a single one used “public safety” as the primary point…until 1995.
That’s precisely correct and it’s always puzzled me - I mean weren’t the jails able to hold people before then? Were the bars bendable or something? Or did we just adopt the personal opinion of someone and insert it into the “story”.

40.png
tcaseyrochester:
The Death Penalty is always wrong according to the Church and to common sense.
You are directly contradicting the Cathechism.

God bless you anyway,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back