**It is interesting that you included this statement with your citation of John 6:55. Let me explain by defining some words; flesh, food, and true.
Let’s take a look at the food that Jesus offers.
Joh 4:32
But (Jesus) said to them, “I have food to eat that you do not know about .”
Food = Will of God**
Joh 4:34
Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work.
Joh 6:27
“Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”
Flesh = Will of God = Truth
John 6:55
"For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.
John goes on to define what truth is.
Joh 1:14
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Truth =Flesh = Jesus = Word =Full of Grace=Holy Spirit.
Holy Spirit only comes through Jesus
14:6
Jesus *said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
John 14:15
If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you. I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you.
The algebraic equation of John 6:55 is:
Truth =Flesh = Jesus = Word =Full of Grace=Holy Spirit.
tabcom, I agree! This is the one thread that we can both agree to disagree! Just like your fellow protestant christians, Joseph Smith and Linkowski, I too agree that Catholics and Protestants believe in a different Gospel. Don’t jump off the topic, if you agree that we believe in the same Gospel, then post your view, and why you beleive that we beleive in the same Gospel. Don’t say we believe in the same Gospel, and then start a Scripture battle in why the catholics are so wrong
Let me give you a perfect example, Joseph Smith (protestant) believes that we “do not” believe in the same Gospel and he gives a perfect explanation why he believe’s that. If you haven’t read it, you should. :clapping:
Now
Zooey who is Methodist believes that we “do” believe in the same Gospel and she gives a perfect explanation why she believe’s that. If you haven’t read it, you should. :clapping:
Do you see a patern starting here? Maybe that’s because they’re sticking to the topic. Furthermore, If you “disagree” that Catholics and Protestants believe in the same Gospel, and you wish to further your argument, then feel free to address any of those who in fact “agree” that your Gospel is indeed the same as theirs.
Now I “agree” with you, that the understanding of your Gospel and mine are different. If the Gospel = “Jesus Christ”. Then right off the bat, my Jesus is Truly Present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Holy Eucharist… and I can not seperate the two (Jesus - Eucharist). Your “Jesus Christ” is not Truly Present in the Eucharist. Now if the Gospel for you is the message of Salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. Then that message of Salvation is different for you and I as it is for many christians, “not everyone saying “Lord, Lord” will inherit” (Mt 7:21).
Okay, now off the topic just this once: I loved your scripture passages, disputing Christ’s Real Presence in the Eucharist, I was going to write them down untill I remembered that “I too! Have a Bible!” and I know it well.
Your scripture passages are all very true, I do not deny that. What i do deny is the manner in which you chose to use them. None of those passages were directly used by the writer in reference to the “Eucharist” discourse of John 6.
You are picking and choosing verses to defend your understanding :tsktsk:
If those bible passages were not used by the writer in direct reference to the “Eucharist” discourse of John 6, then do not use them.
Let me give you some bible passages that
“are” used by the writer in direct reference to the “Eucharist” discourse of John 6:
“whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily
sins against the body and blood of the Lord.” (1 Cor 11:27)
**Wow! **St. Paul surely didn’t see the “bread” and “cup” of the Lord as symbolic, St. Paul charges us with sin against the actual “body” and “blood” of the Lord if we partake unworthily!
How can we be charged with sin against the actual “body” and “blood” of Christ, if the “bread” and “cup” were merely symbolic?
It’s like me hitting the statue of a man, and then being charged with assault against the man to which that statue symbolized.
It doesn’t make sense to be charged with sin against the “body” and “blood” of the Lord, if the Eucharist is merely symbolic.
(continued…)