Do Protestants really hate Catholics?

• Thread starter Thread starter LovelyLadybug
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A balanced and very brief overview. Recommended for more depth: Peters/INQUISITION, on the general topic of the Inquisitions and Kamen/THE SPANISH INQUISITION:A HISTORICAL REVISION. The fourth edition of Kamen is the latest.

As the link suggests, one should not whitewash the Black Legend. The topic is, as history often is, complex.

Thanks for that reference. A couple of things to note. I would note that it’s from a Catholic source - an apologetic one at that - which is fine, except that I would expect it therefore to be, well - apologetic in nature. I’d be curious to see what an unbiased, purely historical source would say - or what, say a Jewish one would?

In any case, I think we can agree that events like these (perpetrated by Catholics and Protestants alike) - events where his children, any of them at all - any race, any religion - are persecuted, is violently contrary to that which our Lord taught. And it’s therefore incumbent on all of us - Catholics and Protestants - to prevent these sorts of things from ever happening again.

The Catholic Church allows Catholic to visit other churches to visit, for informational reasons and to share in common worship.
I was visiting an Assembly of God church one day in which one of the prayers was for the conversion of Catholics. Only the pastor, a former Catholic, knew I was Catholic.
After the service when I spoke about the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, the shocked member exclaimed, “I didn’t know Catholics believed that!”
Pope Benedict XVI defined communication as dialogue against differences. I still find simple faith discussion the best way to disabuse my separated brothers and sisters of misconceptions they have about the Catholic Church.

As a former Pentecostal we were taught that Catholics were not saved…and when a Catholic was confirmed and the priest gave the blessing be sealed with the Holy Spirit Catholics in fact were then bound to Satan and the Catholic church…rather than hate them we were encouraged to “save” them by showing them they belonged to an idolatrous man made religion…it was pretty easy to convert many of them by the way as they didn’t have a clue about their own religion…when my wife became Catholic she had to get an annulment…her sister (baptaist) said she would have nothing to do with her or the Catholic church when she asked her to be a witness for her…and of course the Catholic church has been referred over the centuries as the Whore of Babylon…the Pope as the Anti Christ…many Protestant churches don’t use those terms anymore (I hope)…but I don’t know if they have actually removed those terms from their belief…but generally I don’t believe Protestants “hate” Catholics

Last edited:
Where I live could rightly be called the “buckle of the bible belt”. The world headquarters of the Assemblies of God is here, along with two bible colleges and an Evangelical university of some size.

Mainstream protestantism is declining. Evangelicalism and Fundamentalism are the main things. Some Fundamentalists and EVangelicals are hostile toward Catholicism because a lot of them know nothing about it. But I have discussed religion with no few of them over the years, and once a reasonable explanation is given, most of them see little difference between most brands of Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism and Catholicism. And, indeed, when it comes to most beliefs, there isn’t much difference. Catholicism is just a great deal more developed, and has the Eucharist.

Something that has increased understanding is the prolife movement. Faithful Catholics, Fundamentalists and most Evangelicals are prolife and work to stop abortion as allies.

We have quite a lot of converts, and most are from Fundamentalist groups.

Last edited:
When I would visit the Assembly of God church, there was not only a call to “save” Catholics, but also mainline Prostestants. It helps to learn a little about the history of how the Assembly of God developed, to understand why they feel as they do.
What I also understood was the lack of history, including persecution, that goes back to the time of Christ and the Apostles.
St. Paul writes about how God does not call those whom the world sees as wise. There are many who do not share my Catholic faith, yet have a strong faith that God will provide their needs. It is something I talked over with a Nazarene minister I once knew. His congregation was like that. They had a simple faith, and simple understanding. For many that is all that is needed.

Only the pastor, a former Catholic, knew I was Catholic.
I have heard of a number of pastors who were former catholics, converted due to their belief on scripture as the only authority and go on to preach the scriptures. On the other hand, catholics who were former pastors, converted due to their belief on the authority of the church and were willing to give up their livelihood.

In a general sense, it makes me wonder which side is more humbling.

Sure, and it’s not like a protestant ever like actually killed a Catholic at any point in history, right?

Well except one or two times maybe, by accident. Possibly by accidentally loving them and forgiving them too much, I’m sure. 😉

Last edited:
Point being that Protestants have shown throughout antiquity, that they are quite capable of killing Catholics on their own accord, not juts vice versa. The protestant royalty in England did much of that, and also when they stopped killing monks and priests, they still went so far as limiting the worship of Catholics and charging them extra tax for not attending Protestant services, and banned then from praying in latin.

If our poster has read about all the Protestant killings and wishes to inform us why it would be easy to hate us, then I think it’s only fair that they should also read about the killing of Catholic at the hands of protestants throughout the ages for a more balanced view.

There wasn’t alot of loving forgiveness on either side , they will find. Surprised that I had to spell it out, but there you have it.

Scratch your head in bamboozlement, no more friend.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize we were talking about past history (like way past…), I thought the question was present time.

My bad I guess… 🤷‍♂️

I didn’t realize we were talking about past history (like way past…), I thought the question was present time.

My bad I guess… 🤷‍♂️
Curious, any reason why you didn’t post this to the poster on post #160?

Peace!!!

I used to work with a Baptist who was quite a pleasant woman, but on the few times when the subject of my practising Catholicism came up, she remarked that in her congregation they have several “enlightened Catholics” - her term for converts from Catholicism. The tone she said it in gave the impression that she didn’t think she was being hateful and offensive at all, but rather making friendly conversation!

As a member of CFC, l listened to the testimony of a former Baptist. Like many, he had taught that the Catholic Church was not true Christianity. He started to question why there was so much emphasis on what the Catholic Church taught.
Finally, he went to a Catholic Mass. For the first time he actually heard the Word proclaimed. During Baptist services, including those he had led, the Bible is talked about. During Mass, on the other hand, we actually hear at least two readings (daily) plus a Psalm.
I have heard the testimony of several former pastors, who have been led to the Catholic Church because of their reading of the Scriptures.
I have used the Scriptures with individuals who have tried to “convert” me away from the Catholic Church. Often they will use things like the heirachy. I can reference Acts 2, which shows how the early Christians submitted to the teachings of the Apostles.
A common quote found on Facebook and other places is the other places is “It’s a relationship, not a religion,” which flies in the face of both Timothy and James. Paul spends much time on proper behavior in the assembly.
While I have encountered individuals who are very much anti-Catholic, I have also found those willing to learn more. I haven’t brought anybody into the Church. It may be my job simply “plant the seed.”

The references to the bible from the readings to the liturgy and to the homily, was an eye-opener when I experienced the mass, putting away all bias.

There is so much at stake for these pastors to leave, livelihood to support family, family criticism, pressure from the congregation. I personally believe that moving from protestant to catholic is a lot tougher than the other way round (not just the longer duration of RCIA compared to protestant baptism course) but there is so much at stake. A good example will be in protestant church, you can go to churches of any denomination you want without firm obligation, but it’s different for catholic church, you need to fulfill the obligation.I seen both sides of the fence and this is my conclusion.

Yes, acts 2 is a good chapter, primarily acts 2.42, “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.”. What stood out to me was that the breaking of bread, was done every day. And they do fellowship every day. The catholic church opens every day for all of this. The most important part to me was the every day worship and fellowship. It is in tune with matthew 16.24, where Jesus talks about those who wish to come after him, are to deny themselves and take up his cross to follow him.

Some people have an absolute way of thinking. To me, following Christ is both relationship and religion. If it is solely a relationship, go and close churches and then invite friends home for informal worship. If it is solely a religion, then go to church and observe everything for the sake of it and without purpose. It is therefore, impossible to have one without the other.

Kind of reminds me of folks who insult or denigrate others and then sign off with “Peace!” at the end of their posts as if that word makes up for all the impoliteness that precedes it.

I am reminded of a comedy skit in which in Samurai warrior politely instructs his intended victim as he positions him for decapitation, “Place your head here, thank you”.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back