Dow Hits 30,000 First Time

• Thread starter Thread starter gam197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I donate too, but I miss the person to person contact. That’s where the real connection with Jesus happens.

I donate too, but I miss the person to person contact. That’s where the real connection with Jesus happens.
Yes, i understand that. There’s something amiss about, “When you were hungry, I wrote a check” but it’s better than not.

More Americans are going hungry now than at any point during the deadly covid-19 pandemic, according to new federal data.
End the shutdowns so people can work and feed their families. I suspect that not a single reporter who works at the once respected newspaper now DNC propaganda outlet lost a job due to the shutdowns they pushed. It’s the restaurant employees, and other so-called nonessential workers they continue to force out of work

Regulate citizens also benefited from their 401k investments…
FWIW, the real beauty of a 401k is not that it goes up or down with the markets but it actually acts as a pay raise, matching the employee contributions. It was introduced in the Reagan era, replacing the old Profit Participation Plan, which had better tax brackets. The 401k is actually taxed at regular tax rates rather than any lower capital gains rates. The tax liability therefore, coupled with more taxable SS benefits, is quite heavy when it is ultimately withdrawn.

Last edited:
That’s far better than, “when you were hungry, I used government to force other people to pay taxes.”
I think that would be a good topic for the social justice sub forum.

I know many who disagree with your sentiment, that you so neutrally stated.

The economy was moving along just fine under Obama. Also under Trump, until he completely botched the COVID response. It will also be fine under Biden. Presidents get both more credit and more blame than they should for economic issues. They mostly matter when the miss the moment to intervene and prevent catastrophe - as we have seen.
Actually it wasn’t. Unemployment rates were high, as much as 10%. Food stamp us peaked. Stock market plunged. I was at a point where I didn’t want to look at my IRA statements.

Actually it wasn’t. Unemployment rates were high, as much as 10%. Food stamp us peaked. Stock market plunged. I was at a point where I didn’t want to look at my IRA statements.
Your memory may be faulty on some of those points, my friend.

It is state governments that continue to repeat or maintain shutdowns,
Actually it is mostly sports teams that take (or took) the lead in shutting down business. The virus wasn’t considered serious until the NBA cancelled a game during play. Then others followed affecting restaurants, pubs, etc. on a global basis.

Last edited:
48.png
JonNC:
That’s far better than, “when you were hungry, I used government to force other people to pay taxes.”
I think that would be a good topic for the social justice sub forum.

I know many who disagree with your sentiment, that you so neutrally stated.
Rule of thumb: if one has to put social as a modifier of justice, it probably isn’t justice.
Or, as Walter E. Williams rightly puts it:
“But let me offer you my definition of social justice: I keep what I earn and you keep what you earn. Do you disagree? Well then tell me how much of what I earn belongs to you - and why?“

Actually it is mostly sports teams that take (or took) the lead in shutting down business. The virus wasn’t considered serious until the NBA cancelled a game during play. Then others followed affecting restaurants, pubs, etc. on a global basis.
Ask restaurant owners across their states who shut them down. Most restaurants aren’t new an NBA or NFL venue.

Rule of thumb: if one has to put social as a modifier of justice, it probably isn’t justice.
Maybe you should be looking to the Church for definitions of social justice, rather than far right critics of the Church like Williams.

Maybe you should be looking to the Church for definitions of social justice, rather than far right critics of the Church like Williams.
I think Williams is exactly right. On the other hand, Christ calls us to care for the least of His children. That is an obligation we as Christians have.

Huh? It’s a Catholic Answers Sub Forum.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Ask restaurant owners across their states who shut them down.
You and your states. As far as I know Americans freely cross state lines and spread the virus wherever they go. Where are the shutdowns? I live across the street from a mall and I still see gobs of people.

I think Williams is exactly right. On the other hand, Christ calls us to care for the least of His children. That is an obligation we as Christians have.
It is not possible to think that Williams is exactly right and to also follow the Church’s teachings. They are diametrically opposed.

48.png
JonNC:
Huh? It’s a Catholic Answers Sub Forum.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Yes. I know. I respectfully disagree with some Catholic teachings. This is one.
It is not possible to think that Williams is exactly right and to also follow the Church’s teachings. They are diametrically opposed.
As I’m not in communion with the pope, I’m at liberty to disagree with this particular teaching.

Last edited:
You and your states. As far as I know Americans freely cross state lines and spread the virus wherever they go. Where are the shutdowns? I live across the street from a mall and I still see gobs of people.
What state do you live in?

Yes. I know. I respectfully disagree with some Catholic teachings. This is one.
This is an honest response, and I appreciate it. I say so because it is frustrating that so many with right-wing or libertarian social views twist themselves in pretzels arguing that their view is somehow consistent with the Church. I, too, disagree with the Church in some areas, but I try to be honest about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back