EBay's Doing It Again (4-18-05)

• Thread starter Thread starter rastell
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This problem is a very old one that existed well before Holy Communion was permitted to be received in the hand. As I posted in another thread, our family was in Portugal last October and we visited Santerem where a Eucharistic miracle occured after a lady took the consecrated host with her to take to a sorceress. That was in the early 11th century.

40.png
maric:
This is disgusting! How can we get a petition going to stop this?
Just curious, are online petitions effective or are they just a waist of time? I signed one for the Judge who sent Terri Shiavo to her death and I don’t believe anything came of it. I get the impression that they are no different than online polls.

God Bless…

40.png
matthew1624:
Just curious, are online petitions effective or are they just a waist of time? I signed one for the Judge who sent Terri Shiavo to her death and I don’t believe anything came of it. I get the impression that they are no different than online polls.

God Bless…
Online petitions are capable of proving that a large number of people feel strongly about an issue. Above and beyond that, it is up to the recipient of the petition to decide how much they care about what other people think.

You may be interested to know that the Ebay boycott now has a website at www.boycottebay.org, where Catholics can get information about the boycott, the facts that led up to it, and how they can join the effort.

Vincent DiCarlo
A Decent Respect
1331 Garden Highway, Suite 300
Sacramento, CA 95833-9773

www.boycottebay.org

Here is an excerpt from a reply from eBay that I received yesterday evening:

We understand that the listing of the Eucharist was highly upsetting to
Catholic members of the eBay community and Catholics globally. Once
this completed sale was brought to our attention, we consulted with a
number of our users, including members of the Catholic Church,
concerning what course we should take in the future should a similar
listing appear on our site. We also consulted with members of other
religions about items that might also be highly sacred and inappropriate
for sale. As a result of this dialogue, we have concluded that sales of
the Eucharist, and similar highly sacred items, are not appropriate on
eBay. We have, therefore, broadened our policies and will remove those
types of listings should they appear on the site in the future.

As always, we welcome and appreciate the assistance of the community in
upholding the rules of our site. Should you see another Eucharist
listed on our site, we encourage you to notify us so we can take
appropriate action. Further, we encourage you to directly communicate
with the seller. Members are often unaware that a particular item is
offensive to others. A respectful e-mail to the seller is often all
that is needed for the seller to voluntarily remove the item. We
believe this modification strikes the appropriate balance between
respect for our community’s values and our goal of providing an open
marketplace offering practically anything on earth.

It is not eBay, I mean they cannot possobly monitor everything what listed, They have huge amount of auctions.

So all they can do is to monitor what on sale already.

There is way to fight.

Same as copyrighted items, owners of such rights run favorite searches on ebay by names of the product, eBay will email right away, if something with keywords comes up. Then if something wrong with listing you just report it to eBay.

Some more info about amazon and ebay here:

aliksandre.blogspot.com

Ebay does not monitor their auctions for banned items. They depend on people to report them. After they are reported they will then check on the auction number provided to them. It is up to all of us to monitor by placing communion wafer host etc. in our favorite searches so we are alerted by email of new listings. This stuff is all automated folks. They will not see the offending auction unless we report it to them.

There is worse, unfortunately: the guy (or gal, who knows) who is insulting the church on a daily basis on his so-called “pope’s fan club” web site is selling its “attractive” (and deceiving) web address (www.thepopesfanclub.com) on eBay. In the meantime, they keep on posting blasphemies on that site.

But what can we do? Money is King, and throwing mud at the church is considered OK… would think that the web is the tool of Satan, if it was not for forums like this one.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back