Father Groeschel and the Charismatic movement

• Thread starter Thread starter mark_a
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps “ethnic” might be a better description. Prayer is allowed in the cultural style of the community. Some of the Charismatic style worship is viewed in the same manner.

40.png
Mysty101:
Perhaps “ethnic” might be a better description. Prayer is allowed in the cultural style of the community. Some of the Charismatic style worship is viewed in the same manner.
I disagree. Cultures vary, that is true, but cultural variations are not liturgical innovations. For example, take the gesture for the Rite of Peace. In the West, a handshake is the culturally accepted form of expressing the sign of peace. In Asia, as some have noted, it is a repectful bow. In some cultures it may be a kiss on both cheeks. However, as the GIRM states, these gestures are to be approved by the bishops in accordance with the norms of each culture. The same rubrics in this case are followed by all “as much as humanly possible”.

As an example to make my point, take the posture we are to assume during the Eucharistic Prayer. According to the Girm:
In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason. Those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the priest genuflects after the consecration. The faithful kneel after the Agnus Dei unless the Diocesan Bishop determines otherwise.53
Now, I’ve been to parishes where the entire congregation remains standing, young and old alike, kneelers present, and with plenty of room. According to your post, in order to foster a sense of community I should also remain standing because the majority of people are doing it, even though it is a clear violation of the GIRM. This is not community, and in fact fosters disunity in the larger sense of the universal Church. It is nothing more than congregationalism as I previously stated.

This same argument applies to any and all liturgical innovations (such as those I posted previously). Cultural diversity has nothing to do with it, as we in the US are all from the same culture. As a result, those things that are abuses in a non-charismatic Mass are also abuses in a charismatic “Mass”.

1 Maria:
I however would not choose the term, “flakes” because I see the the ones you describe and the ones I have known personally and have seen on various message boards as being sincere but extremely immature in their understanding of what the CCR really is. I do not believe they intentionally contribute to putting the CCR in a poor light but I’m happy to hear that the leadership both recognizes the harm they are causing, and takes steps to correct it as you did here.

Maria
Point well taken. I can easily change that to “immature”, and I ask forgiveness if I sounded condemning/judgmental in my original post.

40.png
MrS:
That pretty well sums it up Marie. I would only add what I think is the problem some see with the movement (Myself included). I feel more than uneasy when I see the movement integrated with the Mass. That is not pushing the limits, that is abuse by the faction of the movement trying to make the laity more clerical. I think, from reading many of your posts, you would agree. There is a place for the charismatic in the Catholic Church. Let’s hope that the Charismatics who think the Church should find a place in the movement will just fade away.
MrS, I like your last line! :>) And I agree with you. To be honest, the only differences between the (admittedly rare) “Charismatic” Masses I have attended, and a standard NO Mass in your weekly parish have been three things:
  1. Everybody sings, and really means it when they sing
  2. Sometimes during the elevation there is a gentle murmuring of prayer that becomes audible, from the congregation. Often this is a time when people will murmur in very *quiet and reverant * prayer tongues. It swells, crescendos, and falls away when the elevation is completed.
  3. Sometimes people will lift their hands in prayer during the songs. Not everyone, and not all the time.
Our community is blessed (GREATLY blessed) to have a discalced Carmelite priest, who celebrates daily Mass for us, and I am deeply blessed to be able to attend this Mass at the start of every school day (I am a Catholic school teacher, in a school run by our covenant community.) The Masses he says are indistinguishable from a regular Mass (except perhaps for his excellent sermons!)

I have never been gifted with the privelege of attending a Mass with Fr. Groeschel presiding. I have however attended Masses with Fr. Cantamalessa presiding (the papal preacher, a charismatic capuchin) and with Bishop Rylko and Bishop Cordes, both charismatic bishops. In all cases, the Mass, aside from the three things mentioned above, were just like regular N.O. Masses. Soldily within the GIRM, and more reverant than any Sunday parish Mass I have ever been to.

I hear people complain about “charismatic Masses”, often referring to fish-flopping and hand clapping and banjos and so forth. Honestly, I have never attended such an event, and hope never to do so. Exhuberance in worship is fine in a prayer meeting, but the Mass is a reverent time. All of the charismatics I know treat it with great piety and devotion and would never dream of allowing it to become a circus or a liturgical “renovation”.

That’s it.

mark a:
So it’s the abuses of the charismatic movement that many are opposed to, correct?

Has the Church defined what is ok or not ok? Seems to me that is the real problem.

I’m a little more open minded about this than I once was, but am unsure if I would ever fit this style. I’m just not creative in that way.

But then again, who would have ever thought I would come back to the Church?
Hi mark

yes I think that in 99% of the cases, what is objectionable are abuses, not the norms for the movement.

yes the Church has indeed defined what is OK and what is not. For the Mass, that would be the GIRM. For prayer meetings, we must report what we do and how we do it to our local bishops and remain firmly connected and completely obedient to his authority. If he told us tomorrow to disband, we would.

Les Richardson:
Personally, I would love to have a prayer meeting like the one I described from my childhood, but I guess I would have to call it something else. Pity.
We in CCGD Dallas believe we are called to be leaven in our parishes, and as such we do not have weekly Mass together. (We do celebrate special Masses as a Community a few times a year, most prominently at Pentecost, the beginning of the School year, and whenever we have Confirmations or First Eucharist celebrations.) We do have weekly prayer meetings, which do NOT replace regular Sunday attendance at Mass in our respective parishes. We gather for about two hours of music, praise, and teachings, and some word gifts, including prophecies. We do sing in tongues (all together, each praying to God directly, no interpretation needed or expected-- it sounds so beautiful) but speaking out in tongues is far more rare, and has always been followed with Interpretation. (Once someone spoke out very clearly in perfect Latin, which the priest in our community easily translated. The woman who spoke has never studied Latin.) We do pray over anyone who asks us to, for healing or whatever troubles they are facing. We do use blessed oil to do so. When one of our priests is present, we ask him to lead that prayer.

Prayer meetings usually consist of about 45 minutes of praise and worship music, followed by several teachings and word gifts, and a half hour or more of prayer as a group. Word gifts can be exhortations, Scripture readings with teachings, or personal testimonies. Prayers during this time run the gamut from prayers for world leaders, wars, social issues, personal needs, healing, and thanksgiving. Usually, total PM time is two hours, though we have been known to finish sooner – and to run longer – than that.

In addition we operate a prayer watch for as many hours of every day as we can cover. We hope to eventually have 24 / 7 coverage: right now it is more like 4 AM to 11 PM coverage. Everyone in the community agrees to take on an hour of prayer during the week. We pray for the world, mostly, and use many of the wonderful prayers given to us by the Mother Church, including the Rosary, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and the many prayers for protection such as the St. Michael prayer.

We are connected through small groups know as Shared Life Clusters (or SLCs) which are the vehicle by which we remain connected and can care for one another. SLCs meet as often as the members of the cluster need to meet, and communicate regularly by phone, especially important for our elderly and single parents. We bring meals when there is an emergency, a new baby, a surgery. We mow the lawns of the elderly members. Together we study the Catechism, the Scriptures, Catholic theological teachings, and the depths of our Faith in many ways .

We also have a number of outreach ministries including a Catholic PK-8th grade school, a boy scout troop, a JCDA troop for the girls, an active pro-life ministry, junior high and youth ministries that meet weekly or more often, and several outreach ministries. Our school, which the local bishop has called “The most Catholic of our Diocesan schools,” is the only school in our Diocese which celebrates daily Mass, regular Eucharistic Adoration, Rosaries, monthly confessions, etc.

Here’s our Community website:
www.lumen2000.com

And our school’s website: www. popcsdallas.com

Back to the original topic: It is my understanding that Fr. Groeschel is a Charismatic Franciscan Catholic who is deeply obedient to the Magisterium, and who is deeply in love with his faith and his church.

40.png
mtr01:
Now, I’ve been to parishes where the entire congregation remains standing, young and old alike, kneelers present, and with plenty of room. According to your post, in order to foster a sense of community I should also remain standing because the majority of people are doing it, even though it is a clear violation of the GIRM. .
OK my response was in reference to raising hands, clapping and the music. All the Charismatic style Masses I have attended did follow the Girm instructions regarding the posture to be maintained.

Another point–Many who object so strongly to some minor changes in posture for the Charismatics genuflect as a sign of reverence or kneel for Communion which are also a variances of the GIRM instruction. And many do this when they are in a very small minority of the community, and it may be a tripping hazrd (I speak from experience on the tripping hazard)

The bishop and Rome know what goes on at Charismatic Masses–Bishop Jacobs, Fr DeGrandis, Fr MacDonough and many others travel around the country and celebrate many Masses. They would certainly be stopped, if their Masses were abusive and not very beneficial to the congregation.

Here’s the website for our conference. We also have picture albums and newsletters with reports of our events and links to other sites–the NY site has even more links and articles. We have Diocesean and national liasons.
siconference.com/

the 10th article down on this site is an article about our conference’s most recent event
catholiccharismaticny.org/Papers/Articles/articles.html

As I said, Charismatic worship is not for everyone, but it is approved and very beneficial to many.

40.png
Mysty101:
OK my response was in reference to raising hands, clapping and the music. All the Charismatic style Masses I have attended did follow the Girm instructions regarding the posture to be maintained.
I was merely referefecing posture as an example. The rubrics are set. Any raising hands, clapping, etc. which are not in the GIRM are liturgical innovations, and are not to be followed. As stated in Sacrosanctum Concilium, “Therefore no other person, even if he be a priest, may add, remove, or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority.”
40.png
Mysty101:
Another point–Many who object so strongly to some minor changes in posture for the Charismatics genuflect as a sign of reverence or kneel for Communion which are also a variances of the GIRM instruction. And many do this when they are in a very small minority of the community, and it may be a tripping hazrd (I speak from experience on the tripping hazard)
Actually what you speak of is *supposed *to be doneprior to receiving the Eucharist. It’s either in the GIRM or Redemptionis Sacramentum that before receiving we are to make a gesture of respect such as genuflecting or making a profound bow.
40.png
Mysty101:
The bishop and Rome know what goes on at Charismatic Masses–Bishop Jacobs, Fr DeGrandis, Fr MacDonough and many others travel around the country and celebrate many Masses. They would certainly be stopped, if their Masses were abusive and not very beneficial to the congregation.
This is where, no offense, I begin to shudder. The Mass is the Mass, and nothing is to be introduced just for charismatics (or anyone else for that matter). That is an abuse. What you speak of my be fine in special prayer services or what have you, but have no place in the Mass. See MakerTeachers posts. As a charismatic, she makes very good points in distinguishing between the Mass and outside services/meetings.
40.png
Mysty101:
Here’s the website for our conference. We also have picture albums and newsletters with reports of our events and links to other sites–the NY site has even more links and articles. We have Diocesean and national liasons.
siconference.com/

the 10th article down on this site is an article about our conference’s most recent event
catholiccharismaticny.org/Papers/Articles/articles.html

As I said, Charismatic worship is not for everyone, but it is approved and very beneficial to many.
Looking at the pictures, it appears as most of the things I refer to are being done at “revivals” or meetings outside of Mass. I have no problem with any of it, as long as it remains outside of the Mass.

40.png
mtr01:
Actually what you speak of is *supposed *to be doneprior to receiving the Eucharist. It’s either in the GIRM or Redemptionis Sacramentum that before receiving we are to make a gesture of respect such as genuflecting or making a profound bow.
I, too am just using examples of when the instructions are not followed exactly, and this is allowed.
from the USCCB
Distribution of Holy Communion
This adaptation will take the place of number 160, paragraph 2:

The faithful are not permitted to take up the consecrated bread or the sacred chalice themselves, and still less, hand them on to one another.** The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing.** Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. Rather, such instances should be addressed pastorally, by providing the faithful with proper catechesis on the reasons for this norm.

**When receiving Holy Communion, the communicant bows his or her head before the sacrament as a gesture of reverence and receives the Body of the Lord from the minister. **The consecrated host may be received either on the tongue or in the hand at the discretion of each communicant. When Holy Communion is received under both kinds, the sign of reverence is also made before receiving the Precious Blood.
and from postures and gestures
In addition to serving as a vehicle for the prayer of beings composed of body and spirit, the postures and gestures in which we engage at Mass have another very important function. The Church sees in these common postures and gestures both a symbol of the unity of those who have come together to worship and a means of fostering that unity. We are not free to change these postures to suit our own individual piety, for the Church makes it clear that our unity of posture and gesture is an expression of our participation in the one Body formed by the baptized with Christ, our head. When we stand, kneel, sit, bow and sign ourselves in common action, we given unambiguous witness that we are indeed the Body of Christ, united in heart, mind and spirit.
In spite of the instruction and reenforcement, many people do kneel or genuflect, and this is allowed. I am just saying that sometimes things outside of the instructions are allowed.
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_5_1.gif

40.png
Makerteacher:
Hi mark

yes I think that in 99% of the cases, what is objectionable are abuses, not the norms for the movement.

yes the Church has indeed defined what is OK and what is not. For the Mass, that would be the GIRM. For prayer meetings, we must report what we do and how we do it to our local bishops and remain firmly connected and completely obedient to his authority. If he told us tomorrow to disband, we would.
Makerteacker, you are a real treasure when it comes to helping me understand what the CCR is really about. [that was my opening question on CA in a different thread.]

You have brought a much needed breath of fresh air to CA in this regard.

** For prayer meetings, we must report what we do and how we do it to our local bishops and remain firmly connected and completely obedient to his authority. If he told us tomorrow to disband, we would**

This is so good to know. I do have a question for you about it.

I’m thinking that any true discipline coming from a Bishop would pastorally be based on when he, the Bishop, saw that the particular CCR community was mature enough to loving accept the correction(s) knowing that the Bishop speaks for the Church.
Is this how it works?

I’m asking because I’m wondering why some groups who have ‘catchers’ assigned to the Masses to assist those who ‘rest’ or ‘get slain’ and fall in the aisles during Mass are not disciplined or corrected in some way.

This is a major turnoff for those of us who cannot abide seeing the focus that rightly belongs to the Eucharist and the liturgy of the Word, as well as to the priest as alter Christus, being shifted to the fallers and those who do tongues that drown out the words of the priest.

I’m certain almost all of us already know this is NOT true CCR.
I just think that hearing it from you would be so helpful to those of us who have witnessed it.

Maria

40.png
Leo44:
I am still waiting for some one to tell me of a declared Saint of the Church that is what we would call Chrismatic by todays standards.

If you can’t then I wonder if it is an invention of man.
Hi Leo44! 👋

Peter had the gifts of healing and tonuges, which are charismatic gifts.

I suspect that by “today’s standards” you’re referring to the jumping around, extatic behavior of some people. That’s not what it means to be Charismatic. To be charismatic is to have one or more of the charismatic gifts. I pray in tongues yet I’ve never been to a hand-clapping, hand-raising Mass or prayer service. I think that “charismatic” is often misunderstood to mean the behavior of people rather than the gifts they’ve been given by the holy Spirit.

In Christ,
Nancy 🙂

Maria,
This is a major turnoff for those of us who cannot abide seeing the focus that rightly belongs to the Eucharist and the liturgy of the Word, as well as to the priest as alter Christus, being shifted to the fallers and those who do tongues that drown out the words of the priest.
I personally have not seen “catchers” during a Mass, or heard tongues while the priest was speaking. Actually I’ve only heard low praise tongues at a time of praise, and I think only 2 or 3 times at a Mass and this was not my conference. I do not understand why anyone not participating in these actions would attend that particular Mass.

40.png
Makerteacher:
For prayer meetings, we must report what we do and how we do it to our local bishops and remain firmly connected and completely obedient to his authority. If he told us tomorrow to disband, we would.
This is the case for all Catholic groups, if they are not connected to a Parish. Parish groups are under the direction of the Pastor.

Makerteacher, your post, #66 shows more of what I was looking for and that’s the outward thrust of the CCR which seems to me to be abundant fruit.

I chose these snippets to show exactly that even though everything else could also be included.
40.png
Makerteacher:
…We in CCGD Dallas believe we are called to be leaven in our parishes…

…In addition we operate a prayer watch for as many hours of every day as we can cover. We hope to eventually have 24 / 7 coverage: right now it is more like 4 AM to 11 PM coverage. Everyone in the community agrees to take on an hour of prayer during the week. We pray for the world, mostly, and use many of the wonderful prayers given to us by the Mother Church, including the Rosary, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and the many prayers for protection such as the St. Michael prayer…

…We are connected through small groups know as Shared Life Clusters (or SLCs) which are the vehicle by which we remain connected and can care for one another. SLCs meet as often as the members of the cluster need to meet, and communicate regularly by phone, especially important for our elderly and single parents. We bring meals when there is an emergency, a new baby, a surgery. We mow the lawns of the elderly members. Together we study the Catechism, the Scriptures, Catholic theological teachings, and the depths of our Faith in many ways…

…We also have a number of outreach ministries including a Catholic PK-8th grade school, a boy scout troop, a JCDA troop for the girls, an active pro-life ministry, junior high and youth ministries that meet weekly or more often, and several outreach ministries. Our school, which the local bishop has called “The most Catholic of our Diocesan schools,” is the only school in our Diocese which celebrates daily Mass, regular Eucharistic Adoration, Rosaries, monthly confessions, etc…
Maria

40.png
mtr01:
I disagree. Cultures vary, that is true, but cultural variations are not liturgical innovations. For example, take the gesture for the Rite of Peace. In the West, a handshake is the culturally accepted form of expressing the sign of peace. In Asia, as some have noted, it is a repectful bow. In some cultures it may be a kiss on both cheeks. However, as the GIRM states, these gestures are to be approved by the bishops in accordance with the norms of each culture. The same rubrics in this case are followed by all “as much as humanly possible”.

As an example to make my point, take the posture we are to assume during the Eucharistic Prayer. According to the Girm:

Now, I’ve been to parishes where the entire congregation remains standing, young and old alike, kneelers present, and with plenty of room. According to your post, in order to foster a sense of community I should also remain standing because the majority of people are doing it, even though it is a clear violation of the GIRM. This is not community, and in fact fosters disunity in the larger sense of the universal Church. It is nothing more than congregationalism as I previously stated.

This same argument applies to any and all liturgical innovations (such as those I posted previously). Cultural diversity has nothing to do with it, as we in the US are all from the same culture. As a result, those things that are abuses in a non-charismatic Mass are also abuses in a charismatic “Mass”.
Very well said. Thank you for your othodoxy.

Thanks for the welcome. I think the Charismatic movement frightens some people because it is different than what they know. And I do think some people can be misled by spirits other than the Holy Spirit. But a good charismatic program will help you to learn to distinguish God’s spirit from evil spirits or your own spirit. Jesus himself teaches us that “My sheep know my voice” As for charismatic prayer being non-reverant as some have posted, I have not found this to be the case. The people I know who pray in tongues pray softly and very reverantly. I think the charismatic movement has the power to revive the Church, just as the Holy Spirit set the apostles on fire at Pentecost. That reminds me…my 19 year old daughter has a group of friends who have been going to the University of Stubenville retreats for several years now…they are charismatic retreats…and you would be in awe of the faith of this group of young people. Two of her male friends have been seriously discerning the priesthood and one female friend is discerning religious life. So if you look at the fruits of their experiences it surely seems as if the charismatic movement is a positive one,

40.png
Mysty101:
I, too am just using examples of when the instructions are not followed exactly, and this is allowed.
from the USCCB

and from postures and gestures

In spite of the instruction and reenforcement, many people do kneel or genuflect, and this is allowed. I am just saying that sometimes things outside of the instructions are allowed. **
** smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_5_1.gif

Actually, we’re talking apples and oranges here. All of the examples you have provided here are actually rubrics provided for in the GIRN or *Redemptionis Sacramentum. *Exchanging a sign of peace is in the rubrics regardless of how a culture expresses it (except in Masses celbrated according to the 1962 Missal), everyone is supposed to make a gesture of reverence before receiving the Eucharist, receiving communion kneeling is recognized by the Vatican as legitimate (as is reception on tne tongue). There are just approved various ways to carry out the rubric.

What I’m talking about are liturgical innovations. Things that have made their way into the Mass without proper approval, such as hand holding during the Our Father, clapping along with the hymns, being slain in the spirit, or what have you are not additions to the Mass which have been approved by the proper authority. Now, I’ve no problem with people who want to do these kinds of things in prayer meetings or healing services, or whatever. They just don’t belong in the Mass.

40.png
mtr01:
What I’m talking about are liturgical innovations. Things that have made their way into the Mass without proper approval, such as hand holding during the Our Father, clapping along with the hymns, being slain in the spirit, or what have you are not additions to the Mass which have been approved by the proper authority. Now, I’ve no problem with people who want to do these kinds of things in prayer meetings or healing services, or whatever. They just don’t belong in the Mass.
Can anyone give me links that show the Pope’s approval to tongues, falling and catching, resting, or any innovations for that matter that occur during some charismatic ‘Masses’?

I have an acquaintance who insists that the Pope does approve of these things during Mass and she is quite upset at me because I don’t believe the Holy Spirit would have any part of diverting our attention from the Liturgy that comes to us through the Church.

Maria

1 Maria:
Can anyone give me links that show the Pope’s approval to tongues, falling and catching, resting, or any innovations for that matter that occur during some charismatic ‘Masses’?
Maria
A very good question Maria. I asked myself same question awhile back and have not found such approval from the Pope.
Not even outside of the Mass. May be I didn’t search enough, I would like those links too. OTOH, when the Pope gave us the
new Rosary illuminous Mysteries, I know exactly what it means each time I say these prayers…

Can anyone provide some information that would establish the irreverence of “clapping”? Everyone seems to be assuming that this is so, but I have never actually seen anything which establishes that it is so, other than the private opinions of various people.

From a musical perspective, clapping serves as a musical instrument, for it produces music, defined as follows:

from www.merriamwebster.com:

: the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony** Depending on the culture, different instruments and musical styles may have different cultural connotations. Music (and the instruments which produce it) which is exclusively associated with secular things should not be used for sacred things such as the Mass. However, there are many things which, though they may be used in secular expression, are entirely appropriate for sacred purposes. For example, the voice is a featured instrument in both secular songs and sacred songs and the organ has a long history of secular use. The mere fact that an instrument or musical form is used in a secular expression should not disqualify it from being used for sacred purposes. In fact, it might be argued that rather than the sacred music drawing inspiration from the secular, secular music sometimes draws inspiration from that which is sacred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back