Father James Altman: You cannot be Catholic & a Democrat. Period

• Thread starter Thread starter fide
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am honestly appalled by Fr. Altman’s behaviour. While being British means I don’t have the same political investment some Americans viewers of his video might have, I just can’t understand how Fr. Altman believes such public statements and views are acceptable of a member of the Clergy?

I just can’t understand how Fr. Altman believes such public statements and views are acceptable of a member of the Clergy?
There is a big difference between the clerical behavior of a clericalist, and the prophetic behavior of a man of God. There is no life in clericalism; there is life - and truth - in the cross.

The Church is as divided and conflicted as the world. …
Truth is ONE. We are not one.
That’s what you believe. Many posters here, and Bishops cited, don’t agree with you.
The faithful could also reasonably conclude that the bishops who disagree with you are the ones actually following Church teaching.
It does look like there are serious divisions in the Roman Catholic Church today. and not just with this issue. AFAIK, the marks of the true church are that it be ONE, holy, catholic and apostolic. If a Church is not ONE, but is divided, would that then mean that it could not be the true Church?

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michae...s-division-church-could-develop-formal-schism

If a Church is not ONE, but is divided, would that then mean that it could not be the true Church?
It’s still “One”. We just bicker a lot.
Same as how the USA is “One” country and its citizens argue all day.

Also, I would point out that this is hardly the first time in history that the Church has had internal arguments going on over politics.

If your agenda is to find reasons to support your contention that the Catholic Church is “not the true church”, I reckon you’ll be finding those under every bush anyway, even if we’re all getting along and singing Kumbaya. No matter what you argue, the Catholic Church will still be the true Church. You can’t make that go away.

I’m not accusing you of this, but some people apparently think that if they use the threat of hellfire, they can, for all intents and purposes, force a person of faith to vote in the way they see as best. They think they can just shut down legitimate debate with the threat of damnation, and in so doing force someone to vote against their well-formed conscience.
Please do accuse me of believing the truth of Scripture which affirms that fear of righteous punishment is a strong motivation to repent and follow the one way of righteousness and the obedience of faith, manifesting a conscience that is actually well-formed. (Yes, the path to filial fear begins with a healthy awakening in servile fear.)
Job 28:28 And he said to man, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.’"

Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; a good understanding have all those who practice it. His praise endures for ever!

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.

Pro 15:33 The fear of the LORD is instruction in wisdom, and humility goes before honor.

Isa 11:2 And the Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

Isa 33:6 and he will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is his treasure.

Mic 6:9 The voice of the LORD cries to the city—and it is sound wisdom to fear thy name: "Hear, O tribe and assembly of the city!

Sir 1:14 To fear the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; she is created with the faithful in the womb.

Sir 1:16 To fear the Lord is wisdom’s full measure; she satisfies men with her fruits;

Sir 1:18 The fear of the Lord is the crown of wisdom, making peace and perfect health to flourish.

Sir 1:20 To fear the Lord is the root of wisdom, and her branches are long life.

Sir 1:27 For the fear of the Lord is wisdom and instruction, and he delights in fidelity and meekness.

Sir 19:20 All wisdom is the fear of the Lord, and in all wisdom there is the fulfilment of the law.

Sir 21:11 Whoever keeps the law controls his thoughts, and wisdom is the fulfilment of the fear of the Lord.

It does look like there are serious divisions in the Roman Catholic Church today. and not just with this issue. AFAIK, the marks of the true church are that it be ONE, holy, catholic and apostolic. If a Church is not ONE, but is divided, would that then mean that it could not be the true Church?
This is a big, important, complicated question that deserves a thread of its own. But I suggest you refer to the Catechism, which begins the answer with the part I’ll quote below - and it continues for a while. It’s good reading, which I recommend to you.
I. THE CHURCH IS ONE

“The sacred mystery of the Church’s unity” (UR 2)

813 The Church is one because of her source: “the highest exemplar and source of this mystery is the unity, in the Trinity of Persons, of one God, the Father and the Son in the Holy Spirit.”<UR 2 # 5> The Church is one because of her founder: for “the Word made flesh, the prince of peace, reconciled all men to God by the cross, . . . restoring the unity of all in one people and one body.”<GS 78 # 3> The Church is one because of her “soul”: “It is the Holy Spirit, dwelling in those who believe and pervading and ruling over the entire Church, who brings about that wonderful communion of the faithful and joins them together so intimately in Christ that he is the principle of the Church’s unity.”<UR 2 # 2> Unity is of the essence of the Church:
"What an astonishing mystery! There is one Father of the universe, one Logos of the universe, and also one Holy Spirit, everywhere one and the same; there is also one virgin become mother, and I should like to call her ‘Church’.”<St. Clement Of Alexandria, Paed. 1, 6, 42: PG 8,300

Outlawing abortion will not end abortion. Changing minds is the way to eliminate abortion.
If we were talking about any other crime than the crime of abortion, how would your comment above sound?
Outlawing murder will not end murder. Changing minds is the way to eliminate murder.
Outlawing theft will not end theft. Changing minds is the way to eliminate theft.
Outlawing rape will not end rape. Changing minds is the way to eliminate rape.

more?
Outlawing fraud will not end fraud. Changing minds is the way to eliminate fraud.
Outlawing arson will not end arson. Changing minds is the way to eliminate arson.
Outlawing drunk driving will not end drunk driving. Changing minds is the way to eliminate drunk driving.

and so on…

Crime will not end completely until Jesus comes again. But until then, civil society needs law to keep it civil. We are losing our civility!!! And the legalized killing of innocent unborn children is a loud denial of the foundation of civility: respect for the authentic rights of all persons - such as, foundationally, the right to LIFE itself.

Last edited:
If we were talking about any other crime than the crime of abortion, how would your comment above sound?
Your analogies don’t fit, in my opinion. And, frankly, as your list shows, outlawing certain behavior does not end that behavior. Your argument works against you, actually.

I absolutely believe that abortion is wrong. People should not procure abortions. The underlying reason is that people should not have “unwanted” pregnancies. That’s because sex should be reserved for people married willing to accept children.

However, we can’t expect everyone to decide to live by Catholic ideals. Heck, even Catholics don’t live by Catholic ideals, evidenced by only about 1-2% of Catholic couples use NFP.

So, the Church wants to outlaw abortion, make birth control less accessible (maybe even outlaw it), and have no one conceive a baby they don’t want to keep. You can’t legislate that. You have to convince people to live by Christian ideals.

Last edited:
You have to convince people to live by Christian ideals.
How do you convince people to live by Christian ideals?

One way would be to help them understand that the choices they make have eternal consequences, offend God, hurt others and are not accepted by civil law, which then brings us back to priests speaking the truth even if it is unpopular.

Last edited:
Your analogies don’t fit, in my opinion. And, frankly, as your list shows, outlawing certain behavior does not end that behavior. Your argument works against you, actually.
You missed my point. Of course, law does not stop crime, but still it discourages it and reduces it somewhat, thus we understand its limits and its value. We DO NOT reject law as a necessity for civil society! Do you want an end to all law? Or just abortion. Why not every other crime? That is my point.

One way would be to help them understand that the choices they make have eternal consequences, offend Gof, hurt others and are not accepted by civil law, which then brings us back to priests speaking the truth even if it is unpopular.
I wish priests speaking the truth had standing among the general population as moral authorities. I don’t think they do.

You can’t just rush in and tell someone they’re going to hell. That shuts off their listening.
We DO NOT reject law as a necessity for civil society! Do you want an end to all law? Or just abortion. Why not every other crime? That is my point.
I’m saying you can’t legislate morality. Yes, there is a general, moral consensus that murder should be illegal. There is not that same consensus that abortion should be illegal.

Would you be okay if elements other religions’ moral code were codified into American law?

Last edited:
You can’t just rush in and tell someone they’re going to hell. That shuts off their listening.
Especially when it’s not at all clear and may very well not even be the case that the person is going to Hell for whatever they did.

The Church does not teach that people go to Hell for being Democrats or voting for Democrats.

Fear can indeed be a powerful motivator. Politicians and those who wish to influence others certainly know this. But for fear to be Godly, it must be based in truth in its entirety and not in selective subterfuge. The Catechism, CCC 1782, teaches us that: Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. “He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters.” Based on the teachings of the Church, including of course Pope Francis and the USCCB, I believe Fr. Altman went beyond what is allowed by truth and charity with his blanket statements, his overreaching threats of damnation, not to mention his derision of his fellow clerics with whom he disagrees. I’m convinced that he used fear in a most ungodly way, and he used his authority as a priest in a way that goes against the full teaching of the Church. Apparently, you see it differently.

Last edited:
Especially when it’s not at all clear
No you can’t tell them they are going to hell because that is not our place to know who is going to hell or not but you can explain to them God’s way and what the eternal consequences are for sin.

I realize there might always be that fear of offending someone with the Gospel these days.

The Lord had mercy on us, which we did not deserve, 4 years ago. Now, we deserve that mercy even less. We have done nothing to change our ways.
Permit me to respectfully disagree just a little. We did do some things. The people revolted at least somewhat against the secularist theocracy in electing Trump. More Catholics voted against the Dem contender than in the previous two elections. Not much, but it’s something.
I see one way to change this trajectory: if the Church will wake up , and be Church
There is a great deal to clear out, and much of it in high places. The US bishops vote on whether abortion is the peeminent issue in this election is a sign of hope…at least for the majority.
There is not that same consensus that abortion should be illegal.
Why is one form murder takes morally different from another?
The Church does not teach that people go to Hell for being Democrats or voting for Democrats.
No. Only that it’s gravely sinful to support abortion in the absence of an equally grave reason to do so. Possibly you could explain the difference to us.
The Catechism, CCC 1782, teaches us that: Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions
I realize the Dem party would prefer that people “form their conscience” contrary to the teachings of the Church. Hillary Clinton, after all, decreed that we must “change our religion” to accommodate abortion. She at least knows supporting abortion is contrary to the teachings of the Church, though other Dems convince themselves otherwise, But an “informed” conscience will not countenance the sin of supporting abortion. As the bishops have said, it is the preeminent issue in this election.

No you can’t tell them they are going to hell because that is not our place to know who is going to hell or not but you can explain to them God’s way and what the eternal consequences are for sin.
Which you are implying is going to hell, so there you are.
I realize there might always be that fear of offending someone with the Gospel these days.
I think that’s snark, but I’m not sure.

A 2018 Pew Research survey found that 56% of Americans believe in the the God described in the Bible. So, if you are trying to persuade the other 44%, using the Gospel very well might fall on deaf ears.

The best evangelization is convincing people of the Truth, obviously, but it also involves the listener wanting to be like the evangelist, the person sharing the Gospel with them. Hellfire and condemnation doesn’t go very far.

Which you are implying is going to hell, so there you are.
Letting people know what could happen is different than saying what will happen.
think that’s snark, but I’m not sure.
It’s not a snark but dont you see you are saying we shouldn’t tell them what could happen to their eternal soul or what they do offends God and harms others because they might walk away. Why would they walk away, because they are offended by the Gospel.

How does that help them eternally?

Not much but we feel better for not having offended anyone.

Isnt it our priests responsibility, at least, to do this?

Last edited:
It’s not a snark but dont you see you are saying we shouldn’t tell them what could happen to their eternal soul or what they do offends God and harms others because they might walk away. Why would they walk away, because they are offended by the Gospel.
I’m saying that’s awfully heavy. There’s probably a better way to persuade people.

I’ve lost track on whether you’re specifiacllky talking about Catholics or others. For Catholics, yes, a less hellfire approach with the Gospel might be appropriate. For people who don’t believe in God, well, the Gospel argument probably isn’t very effective, especially the “your immortal soul” part.
How does that help them eternally?

Not much but we feel better for not having offended anyone.
Well, if you’re trying to persuade someone to believe what you’re telling them, offending them is a losing strategy. It is possible to tell the truth without being offensive.
Isnt it our priests responsibility, at least, to do this?
Only if they follow Church teaching.

Edit to add: The days of “pay, pray, and obey” are gone.

Last edited:
How many times does someone need to post this link and start yet another discussion on it?

For some people, what he says resonates and confirms their thoughts. For others, he’s wrong.
Is truth relative?

As the bishops have said, it is the preeminent issue in this election.
This is what I mean by selective subterfuge and ignoring the full teaching of the Church. The words “preeminent issue” tell us nothing about the best way to actually discourage abortions. On that we can and obviously do disagree. And disregarding or diminishing the teaching of Pope Francis, “equally sacred,” when referring to the other life issues is downright misleading. Those words are also found in Faithful Citizenship. And how we best help the poor, those already born, the abandoned and underprivileged, the vulnerable infirm and elderly is also open to legitimate debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back