None of you others havce mentioned

Lilies of the Field

Now, see the movie, then go build us a schapell

40.png
tee_eff_em:
Concur: The Trouble With Angels
The Passion of the Christ

I am also rather fond of Keeping the Faith

:cool: :cool: ( ← Look: It’s the “God Squad”)
I have seen the movie Keeping the Faith and while I thought it was cute, and I like it overall I can’t help but be bothered a little bit by a couple of the scenes. Like I said, though, overall it is a cute movie.
40.png
roemer:
None of you others havce mentioned Lilies of the Field
Roemer if you look up in the post Andrew Larkoski did mention it…

Also, check out the movie “Romero.”
It’s about the life and work of Archbishop Oscar Romero who opposed, at great personal risk, the tyrannical repression in El Salvador.

Does anyone remember “Come to the Stable” starring Loretta Young and Celeste Holm? They used to show it on TV here at Christmas time, but not any more, probably because it’s black & white. It’s one of the few movies, along with “Trouble with Angels” which treats nuns and the Catholic religion with respect.

40.png
Powe0186:
Also, check out the movie “Romero.”
It’s about the life and work of Archbishop Oscar Romero who opposed, at great personal risk, the tyrannical repression in El Salvador.
I was about to be shocked that this movie hadn’t been posted yet. It is not for the faint of heart, but the scene when Archbishop Romero risks his life to get the Blessed Sacrament out of the Church should be seen by all Catholics – if it is a symbol, why risk your life and come back in even if you are shot at with machine guns? Such a beautiful, albeit intense, movie.

I also loved the “Mission,” with Jeremy Irons and Robert DiNiro – the soundtrack alone is enough to move me to tears.

Is it my Jesuit education coming out in remembering these films?

Return to Me has a very positive portrayal of average Catholic laypeople. And ultimately the portrayal of the nuns in The Sound of Music is also very positive.

Holding out for St. Luke Production’s “Therese: Story of a Soul”. Should be hitting some big screens this coming October. Check out their other stuff, live taping of Leonardo’s one-man shows. I’ve seen him live, he’s riveting. I saw him act out the entire book of John as Jesus. Incredible. . .

mule

I agree w/ whoever said Return to Me. Not officially a Catholic movie, but good portrayal or people whose faith is part of their everyday lives.

On top of that, the characters, dialogue, music and scenery are top notch! If you get the DVD, be sure to watch the director’s commentary. It’s wonderful. --KCT

I don’t know that this is a “Catholic movie”. That would depend on how you define “Catholic movie,” but Babette’s Feast is great in such an understated way. There are only two characters in it that appear to be Catholic and for one of them, the title character, that can only be inferred.

I have to admit, I really enjoyed Bing Crosby in “Going My Way” and “The Bells of St. Mary’s.” He shows you can be orthodox and fun at the same time.

“Boys Town” with Spencer Tracey and Micky Rooney was good, too.

And, because it’s not listed so far, “Joan of Arc” with Leelee Sobieski was pretty good – worth watching, anyway.

Just to clarify that I was “forced” to watch The Trouble With Angels, and I was in a very “fragile” time in my life and I don’t really like it at all, and that I am really lying here and I need to get to confession. 😛 Really that movie is famous at the Shalom Center (my campus minsitry) and is widely watched if fact you can’t really be a member if you haven’t watched the movie. Its good, real good. I forgot The Passion of the Christ in my first post so I will say it now, great movie.

Yes, The Passion of the Christ and I am willing to bet that the new movie about the Little Flower will be amazing.

Similar to “The Mission” I have seen one called “Black Robe”.
Good. But a few disturbing scenes of violence and some scenes with sex. They are I think in the proper context.

Babette’s Feast was very good and I think at www.decentfilms.com/ there is an article that may contrast it with another recent food themed movie *Chocolate. *

That web site is how I found out about Babette’s Feast.

40.png
Powe0186:
Now, bear with me here. My favorite Catholic movie has to be “Dogma.” If you can somehow get past the obsenity and sexual references, it has a great message. Most people see it as Kevin Smith airing his problems with the church, but that’s not the case. If you;ve seen it, concider the angels loki and bartleby. They question God and end up paying for it. And Bartleby sums up the message of the movie in one line when he says that sometimes we disagree with what we are told we are to do, but you just have to shut up and do what you’re told. Kevin Smith is saying that he disagrees with some of the church’s dogma, but you just have to shut up and do what you’re told.
Plus it has some great inside Catholic jokes , like the “Buddy Christ” poking fun at the protestant fear of the crucifix.
Actually, what I got from the movie (I have to admit, I like the movie, but it’s definately non-catholic to me)… i don’t remember if it was the 13th apostle Rufus or the muse who said that catholics mourn their religion, and took a good idea and went wrong. The movie Dogma was never meant to be a serious movie to begin with. It does have a disclaimer stating this in the beginning, and is the only one of his series that does… It goes right inline with his other movies quite well.

I like The Passion. Really made you feel like you were right there during his last 12 hours. I CANNOT WAIT until it comes out on DVD…!

I like the Devil’s Advocate. Not a catholic movie, but definately a movie that hits the topic of sin, temptation, and evil right on. And Al Pacino plays a pretty smooth devil.

“The Passion of The Christ” is the most Catholic movie I’ve ever seen…absolutely loved it!

I did love The Passion, but my vote still has to go to Song of Bernadette.

Nicole

I can’t possibly name a favorite, love almost all those previously listed (except haven’t seen Dogma and the like). The Passion of the Christ seems to be in a whole separate category for me…not really like a “movie” at all.

We just saw Wide Awake, and having never heard of it before, I must say I think it is the one of the sweetest movies! If you liked Play It Forward, you will love this one! The little boy in this movie gets it! He learns to see God in everyone.

just remember, dogma isn’t a catholic movie. it’s actually pretty crude. there’s a part where cardnal glick (played by george carlin) describes how the cross is old and sad and boring and they decided that the church needed a new fresh look, so they decided to make “Buddy Christ”… there’s a part where the fallen angels “Bartleby and Loki” slaughter a whole officeful of the head honchos behind “Mooby the Golden Calf”… The main character of the movie works at an abortion clinic and claims to be catholic…

#1 The Passion of the Christ

#2 The Song of Bernadette
#3, 4, & 5 (in some order) The Trouble with Angels, The Bells of St. Mary’s, and Going My Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back