Guilty Spouse Confessing Adultery

  • Thread starter Thread starter fms
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My bias is for telling the betrayed spouse. The least of my reasons is that the betrayed spouse should have the opportunity to decide whether to expose him- or herself to whatever diseases the guilty spouse might have contracted. STD tests can be wrong - and the betrayed should be the one to decide what risk level is acceptable. Also, there is no FDA-approved HPV test for men; this is considered acceptable because there is no clear health benefit for men to know if they have it. For any guilty spouses who are sure they were having relations with an honorable person who would never lie about being disease-free…well, think about it.
 
For the innocent spouse, they should model themselves after the Lord:
  1. The Lord was betrayed by his apostles (even by Peter the first Pope) but forgave. He knows betrayal. They had just received him in The Holy Eucharist (spouses: two bodies become one).
  2. After we have been to confession, the Lord continues to give Himself to us in the Holy Eucharist even when in our misdaventures we become diseased.
 
I’d want to know and then deal with it on my own time. Because when you’re married, the two become one body! If there was something wrong with my body, I’d want to know, so I could help fix it. I’d want my husband to let me know, because marriages shouldn’t have secrets.

Also, what if other people knew and didn’t tell me? And I found out years later? That stuff doesn’t stay secret! IMHO, I’d want to know and make decisions based off of TRUTH, not deceit!
 
You should have quit while you were ahead. Cheating is cheating is cheating…period…no excuse.

Kathy
Sorry, Kathy, but we owe justice to everyone and we owe a certain duty of adherence to the facts. Just because someone did something, it doesn’t mean that apart from assigning blame we can assign to that person all the wrong motives that we wish. The only true motives are those which the person had at the moment of committing the wrongful act. No more and no less. Cheating is of itself an act of disrespect towards the spouse, but the one cheater is not the same as the other and the reasons why they cheated are different. This is not to say that some are worse and some are better - that’s not for me to judge. But on the level of pure facts, as long as someone didn’t have particular motives, we are not at liberty to assign those motives to that person.

It’s the same really as in courts. A long prison sentence for assault and battery is punishment. But calling it attempted murder when there was no attempt to murder, is not a part of punishment justifiable by our perception of the gravity of the crime.

I’m not sure if I’ve made myself clear, but so long as a particular cheater did not cheat as a result of lack of appreciation for his spouse, we are not free to “punish” him by by deciding that he did.
 
Chevalier, I really don’t know that there are any absolute conclusions.

I just know that there are two sides to the commandment which says we should not bear false witness. We should not give false information and we should not use the truth as a weapon. That would seem to divide information into three categories relative to any given person: Information which (ought to) belong to the person; information which ought not to be possessed by the person; and all other information.

“Truth” is not just information or facts. There is something more to it.

The way I look at it, a spouse has the right to know “the Truth” that the other spouse is being unfaithful. Present tense. But if the unfaithful spouse repents and changes his/her ways then that spouse *is no longer unfaithful *and in my mind that moves the knowledge of the infidelity out of the “ought to belong to” category into the “other information” category. It is no longer a “Truth” in and of itself.

Other matters which affect the overall health of the individuals and the marriage are going to have to be weighed. Sometimes delivering other information to which the innocent spouse is entitled will necessitate that the infidelity be disclosed. Other times it won’t. And sometimes the need to mitigate the damage possible by someone who would use the truth as a weapon will require it be disclosed as gently as possible before that can happen.
Interesting points. To an extent I can empathise with the notions behind them. On the other hand, hiding the fact will often necessitate lying and I believe direct lie is not justifiable unless we’re talking about certain life-threatening circumstances or circumstances of war (police vs crime counts). You could lie to Nazis looking for the Jews, you could use a fake ID on an intelligence mission and you could tell the criminals that this corner is safe while there are cops behind every garbage container. But directly lying when the spouse asks a question like “Where have you been?” “What time did you come back?”, I don’t think that’s OK to do - however, I’m talking from the point of view before doing it (deciding whether to do it or not), not from the point of view of judging someone who did it (supposing the lie happened because the unfaithful spouse didn’t want to harm the other).
 
Yes, but you are a teenager and are not married, you know not of which you speak. It isn’t a great marriage out of guilt, it’s a bad marriage turned great due to someone straying and realizing where “home” was. They act better to get their marriage to a better place. That isn’t false. Even if they harbor one secret, the goodness is by far very real.

Very REAL.

And eventually the guilty party practically forgets what they have done. The other person doesn’t matter, the affair didn’t matter – but their spouse does. Each day that passes is less time thinking about it (or so I hear on Dr. Laura 😛 and I agree with the idea.) and focusing on their marriage.
👍
I am actually opining that this is coming down to sheer giving and selflessness. If you would hurt your spouse so badly as to betray them through adultery, it’s selfless to keep it to yourself and not hurt them further. You already know how badly you have hurt them in your heart, and you SHOULD suffer it alone.
Ditto. Double ditto.
Now, to make the topic even stickier, do you think this is something that should be covered in pre-Cana??? For someone like Chev he seems like he would really want to (almost need to) know. And his future spouse should know that up front. Because if she feels differently and he had never read this thread they could both just assume that the other feels like they do.
Yep, I do.
 
I’ve been in a relationship with my husband for 7 years, married for 3. I’m not an idealistic single teen. 😃

And I’m freaking out at the very idea of hiding anything from my spouse, not to mention something so significant as adultery! If a spouse has sex with another person, he has become one body with them, and this inevitably has an effect on the marriage, whether it’s revealed or not. The other spouse has the right to know what was done to their marriage.

Honesty is extremely important to me. I don’t need someone to shield me from the truth, I’m a big girl, and I probably would fully forgive adultery, given some time, if my husband confessed it to me immediately. But I don’t think I could trust him again IF he tried to keep it from me.

Maybe that’s just how we two are. We also told each other everything from our past lives, including DETAILS of previous relationships. And I also expect my husband to tell me if he is dissatisfied or not very much in love with me at the moment, and he does. When I went through a period of having feelings for another man (nothing happened, I was just ‘in love’), before we were married, my then fiance, now husband, knew ALL about it. The very idea of a dark, guilty secret harbored until death gives me the creeps.

Don’t we have the ‘right’ to know about everything significant happening in our spouses’ lives, at their jobs, in their friendships? So we know what shapes them, what makes them feel and act the way they do? Wouldn’t adultery qualify? If my husband is moody because he had a bit of a quarrel with a friend, I’d want to know, so I’d understand him. If he was feeling pangs of guilt all the time and feeling like a hypocrite every time he kissed me, how could I not want to know and deal with it and put it all behind us? Darkness melts out in the open light. And why wouldn’t I want him to unburden himself to me? I love this man dearly, I don’t WANT him carrying a dark burden of guilt all his life, just so I could stay blissfully ignorant of what has in fact already affected us both.

And wouldn’t I probably already know on some level that something was amiss anyway? Wouldn’t I be relieved to discover what it was? That it was something concrete that could be dealt with and put in the past?
 
Then for YOU I think it’s very important you are clear about this with a potential wife prior to marriage. I know it’s an uncomfortable topic, but it’s still important to you. So you are compelled to say something about it – right?
People generally learn rather fast that I am reluctant to something as a lie but when I actually do, then that something is off limits.
It’s easy to opine on this when you aren’t married and think you know what you would want – but until you actually have a spouse and you know them, you can’t really say.
Correct, but you could bring it further and say if you haven’t cheated or been cheating on, then you don’t know how it feels or what you would do or want to be done to you.
You may feel strongly about this now, but then life happens and you have a wife who is so sweet and loving and yet for whatever reason you stray – you wouldn’t hurt her for the world. For those of us married souls on this thread, we are just saying what our experience teaches us – and not the actual experience of cheating, but knowing our spouses and what it would do to them to tell. 👍
Yes, I understand. That is an important factor to me as well and this is why I am not criticising anyone who didn’t or wouldn’t tell. I know myself, however, enough to know I’d rather be told. I’d rather know the truth and face it and help her face it as well, then not know and have her suffer it alone, together with all the trauma of the perceived constant lie.
I am actually opining that this is coming down to sheer giving and selflessness. If you would hurt your spouse so badly as to betray them through adultery, it’s selfless to keep it to yourself and not hurt them further. You already know how badly you have hurt them in your heart, and you SHOULD suffer it alone.
I understand the reasons, but I am not sure about the years of building a pretence which that would result in.
For someone like Chev he seems like he would really want to (almost need to) know. And his future spouse should know that up front.
Actually I’d rather have people follow their conscience faithfully than follow my own choices for my sake. Besides, as I said, I wouldn’t want for her to deal with it alone and I wouldn’t like to risk the rift a secret like that would cause.

Well he stuck by his initial statement prior to marriage over 12 years ago. Actually make that 14 years ago – he told me this when we were dating first. He reiterated prior to marriage (about the time I said if we had children I would be staying home to raise them). Either way he said “I would divorce you the MINUTE I knew about an affair. I would divorce you just as well ten years later. I would be so angry knowing I was played a chump – especially if anyone else knew about it. That may be pride, but that’s the way I feel.”

I then brought up Paul’s opinion. He said at first he doesn’t believe Paul, that he believes Paul would end things upon hearing the news – be it immediate or ten years down the road. He thought about it for a while then said "well maybe, I could see his point, he would rather know immediately than find out he was played. I would divorce YOU either way, but I could see how he came to that conclusion. This is why I don’t like hypotheticals --and why I don’t go on message boards! 😛 "

A divorce does not end marriage, save the civil one, and the civil one is not primary and the sacramental one secondary. It’s not like sacramentally married people can “end it”, leaving just an impediment to future sacramental marriage. The marriage persists. Separation from bed and table is allowed. A notion of ending the marriage is not. The wedding ring still stays on the finger, metaphorically speaking.
Yes, but you are a teenager and are not married, you know not of which you speak. It isn’t a great marriage out of guilt, it’s a bad marriage turned great due to someone straying and realizing where “home” was. They act better to get their marriage to a better place. That isn’t false. Even if they harbor one secret, the goodness is by far very real.
But we know that ends don’t justify means. As long as the secret’s moral value depends on extrinsic factors, then that’s fine. But if we, as a result of our discussion, were to conclude that something wrong is with the secret itself, then we would have to conclude that the secret is not justified by the good it is supposed to achieve.
Have you ever known any Bishops or tribunals to address any issues of an individual couple ?? Or take the time to investigate any accusations or circumstances?? All I have know is them saying let the civil (courts) deal with it, then come back to see us about the annulment. It would be good to hear that somewhere the Church is involved before the divorce.
Relying on civil courts is an American custom and it is not default in other countries. Properly understood, an instance of infidelity is at best evidence pointing to the possibility of there being simulation - defect of consent relying on exclusion of fidelity when entering into marriage. On its own, it does not point towards nullity, nor is seeking a declaration of nullity the automatic consequence or even the best choice. All too often the declaration of nullity is not seen as a declaratory finding of facts, but rather as a constitutive decision - ending the marriage and erasing it retroactively if there’s enough ground to justify that. And that’s not true.
 
. I know myself, however, enough to know I’d rather be told. I’d rather know the truth and face it and help her face it as well, then not know and have her suffer it alone, together with all the trauma of the perceived constant lie.

Actually I’d rather have people follow their conscience faithfully than follow my own choices for my sake. Besides, as I said, I wouldn’t want for her to deal with it alone and I wouldn’t like to risk the rift a secret like that would cause.
This is exactly how I feel but Chevalier stated it so much better.

When you are keeping something this important from your spouse all your life it’s unlikely there could be real closeness and openness again between the two people who are one body.

I can’t imagine my husband cheating on me, but we are all human and subject to temptations by Satan and can be wounded by sin in our battles. I could forgive a mistake. But keeping it a secret for a long period of time would require conscious and deliberate deceit. I don’t think I could even begin to understand that. But my husband knows I’m not all that fragile and can handle unpleasant truths well, unlike lies and deceit.

Can you imagine not being able to honestly answer your spouse’s question ‘What’s on your mind right now?’ Or asking it and not getting an honest answer? It just creeps me out.
 
Well he stuck by his initial statement prior to marriage over 12 years ago. Actually make that 14 years ago – he told me this when we were dating first. He reiterated prior to marriage (about the time I said if we had children I would be staying home to raise them). Either way he said “I would divorce you the MINUTE I knew about an affair. I would divorce you just as well ten years later. I would be so angry knowing I was played a chump – especially if anyone else knew about it. That may be pride, but that’s the way I feel.”

I then brought up Paul’s opinion. He said at first he doesn’t believe Paul, that he believes Paul would end things upon hearing the news – be it immediate or ten years down the road. He thought about it for a while then said "well maybe, I could see his point, he would rather know immediately than find out he was played. I would divorce YOU either way, but I could see how he came to that conclusion. This is why I don’t like hypotheticals --and why I don’t go on message boards! 😛 "
That part is a quotation from KC’s post on the previous page. I apparently forgot to put it in quotes, sorry. 😉

Litcrit, details are a bit extreme. 😉 I mean, I would probably tell or listen if asked, but especially after marriage, I think as far as the count and kind goes, while there might be a right to know, that right had better not be exercised. I’d rather not know the details or even the count and just get over it (before marriage) or forgive it (after marriage). Nothing good would come from knowing the details to me, although I understand that with different personalities, different things could happen.
 
When you are keeping something this important from your spouse all your life it’s unlikely there could be real closeness and openness again between the two people who are one body.

I don’t agree. If we have true repentance and true forgiveness then we can put anything behind us. If we decide that keeping it from our spouse is a great act of charity and kindness it will be more likely to not cause a lasting (negative) effect. I think the problem comes in when the cheating spouse is guilt ridden and never moves past it and does not tell their spouse out of fear rather than kindness. But, this is all speculation on my part (don’t worry hubby!!!;)).

I can’t imagine my husband cheating on me, but we are all human and subject to temptations by Satan and can be wounded by sin in our battles. I could forgive a mistake. But keeping it a secret for a long period of time would require conscious and deliberate deceit. I don’t think I could even begin to understand that. But my husband knows I’m not all that fragile and can handle unpleasant truths well, unlike lies and deceit.

Again, there are so many variables. If my husband (military) ended up straying at some point, especially overseas and not even any of his buddies knew about it, there would be no way for me to find out. And I can’t imagine after every absence asking him “so, did you cheat on me over there?”. So in some cases there wouldn’t be any lying.

Can you imagine not being able to honestly answer your spouse’s question ‘What’s on your mind right now?’ Or asking it and not getting an honest answer? It just creeps me out.
**
That happens ALL the time with all couples. What if your spouse is thinking “gee, you are really getting fat”…and at that exact moment you ask him what’s on his mind…please tell me he wouldn’t tell you and that you wouldn’t want to know, lol. Or what if he was thinking about how bad he feels because he couldn’t not look at the cashier’s boobies in the store? Or what if you were thinking about how you wish he still had all of the hair he had when you met…or that this new job of his is so much worse than his old one…or that you really can’t stand his mother?**🤷
 
Litcrit, details are a bit extreme. 😉 I mean, I would probably tell or listen if asked, but especially after marriage, I think as far as the count and kind goes, while there might be a right to know, that right had better not be exercised. I’d rather not know the details or even the count and just get over it (before marriage) or forgive it (after marriage). Nothing good would come from knowing the details to me, although I understand that with different personalities, different things could happen.
We shared details of previous relationships before we were married and then let it go. I felt I couldn’t have a real, honest relationship with him unless I shared my entire past. I’m aware I’m slightly extremist when it comes to openness and honesty between spouses.
That happens ALL the time with all couples. What if your spouse is thinking “gee, you are really getting fat”…and at that exact moment you ask him what’s on his mind…please tell me he wouldn’t tell you and that you wouldn’t want to know, lol. Or what if he was thinking about how bad he feels because he couldn’t not look at the cashier’s boobies in the store? Or what if you were thinking about how you wish he still had all of the hair he had when you met…or that this new job of his is so much worse than his old one…or that you really can’t stand his mother?
He would tell me and I’d want to know. Really. If he can’t be honest with me about my weight, who can? :o

We just tell each other stuff like this all the time, getting fat, girls’ boobies, MIL issues, the works. Isn’t that just what spouses do? 😊
 
Again, there are so many variables. If my husband (military) ended up straying at some point, especially overseas and not even any of his buddies knew about it, there would be no way for me to find out. And I can’t imagine after every absence asking him “so, did you cheat on me over there?”. So in some cases there wouldn’t be any lying.
I’d expect my husband to freely confess the adultery to me without being asked, and I would ESPECIALLY value it if there was no other way I’d ever find out. Then I’d know he wasn’t just coming clean for fear of getting caught anyway.

When I said ‘deceit’, I didn’t just mean outright lying, but also hiding the adultery… living a lie, so to speak. :o
 
Could you ever put your spouse in the position of having this conversation:

Boy, the spouse and I are having a really hard time right now. I’m not sure I want to stay together. I was always intrigued that you stayed with n after he/she had that affair with x a few years ago. Did you go to counseling? Did it help?

or, even better,

Hello, this is y. Our spouses had an affair two years ago, as you know. Well, my marriage has finally collapsed. I am suing your spouse for adultery and anything else I can think of. I hope you have a good lawyer.

For those of you advocating remaining silent, how would you deal with this?
 
In a perfect world, this might be true. (I’m not seeing where anyone is manipulating their spouse, though, if they don’t tell. :confused: )

The real end result is that you hurt your spouse in the deepest possible way, and then there is no way to fix it. You can’t undo the fact that you cheated. All you can do is stop cheating, and start treating your spouse with the love and respect that you promised in your marriage vows.

And actually, I think telling that you cheated would be a kind of manipulation - if you were a better provider, or, if you were a better housekeeper, or, if you were more careful to take care of your appearance, or, whatever else it was that was “their fault” that you “had to cheat” 🤷 - but, no - unless one of the situations I mentioned before is present, just zip it and then clean up your act.
It is manipulation. The cheater is witholding information from their spouse that is necessary to decide if they desire to remain married.

Not to mention living a lie withing one of Gods Sacraments.
 
The difference is, it is my decision whether to stay with you after you cheat. If you do not give me the courtesy of making that decision and remaining with you voluntarily, then every day you are living a lie. Every day that you kiss me and tell me you love me you are lying to me, because you are not faithful to me. .
Egggzactly!

That is MANIPULATION!!!
 
Is a spouse who has committed adultery obliged to tell his/her spouse?

The reasons why and why not and the Church’s stance if any.
Obviously consciously, and because of the “love” you had for your spouse, and the respect, and honor, the wisest thing to do and the right thing to do is to tell the truth…No matter how painful it is nor how badly the spouse takes it…

As far as teaching’s I am not sure, but I know how Jesus expressed himself over such things in the Bible and he does not like adultery at all, nor is happy to hear about it, I believe he made great points over it…But God forgives and loves and as long as the spouse is honest and speaks with the injured spouse and tries to communicate, seek a priest and advice, see counseling, they should be able to work things out…

Yes it will be a long and difficult road but if they both want it, God will shine upon them and allow their marriage to work!!!:signofcross:
 
In my personal experience, my parish priest told me not to tell of my indiscretion when I went to confession for it. But, my counselor told me the opposite.
Parish priest has a deep and profound understanding of the sacramental nature of marriage as well of God’s mercy and forgivness. He gives advice with the intent to help you and your spouse heal and get to heaven.

Counselor has book knowledge from whatever college he went to, experience from other people he has counseled, and the desire to keep a continuing paying customer.

Guess who’s advice I’d follow?
 
If she told him it would be his decision to stay or not. She gave up any rights when she cheated on him.
And you are right, it is a pride issue. How “proud” would you feel if you were cheated on??

Kathy
Another perfect example of the MANIPULATION the adulterer uses against their innocent spouse.

I was manipulated, it is the world’s worse feeling. Once my marriage turned honest we could heal. And we did.

Once you start putting ‘conditions’ on telling like, STD’s and other children you are already on the slippery slope of justifying lies.

What other of the seven sacraments would allow us to lie?
 
For the “tell your spouse” side of the house… after Confession, do you tell your spouse every sin you confessed?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top