'If gays don't like it, they can choose another pasta': Barilla pasta faces global boycott after chairman says brand would never feature a homosexual

• Thread starter Thread starter SeanF1989
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone care to venture how that line of advertising worked out for JCP?

Latest on JCP after they tried to “rework” their image and added her as a spokesperson (and later dropped).
Wow,I wasn’t aware of this:eek:I retract all my prior comments re Ellen D as spokesperson for Penny.I just assumed,as an individual she was merely an advertising tool,much as she is for Mabelienne Cosmetics. Oops!

Your example of Ellen Degeneras is specious. I happen to like Ellen,her sexual preference is disordered,however having her be a spokesperson for JCPenny isn’t an issue,because she isn’t representing the gay community through her ads.In the case of Barilla,the pressure is to normalize SSA by showcasing families of this nature in advertising.
As far as progressive to use your definition is to eradicate gov’t greed,how about starting with the bloated entitlement programs that the gov’t subsidizes through the power grabbing of honest hardworking tax paying citizens?:mad:
Wow,I wasn’t aware of this:eek:I retract all my prior comments re Ellen D as spokesperson for Penny.I just assumed,as an individual she was merely an advertising tool,much as she is for Mabelienne Cosmetics. Oops!
She was. There were some local ads that included gay families, but as far as Ellen’s role was, it was entirely to advertise JC Penney as a famous woman, sexuality notwithstanding. I was not attempting to compare the two situations; I was asking if you agreed with the (mostly Protestant) boycott of JC Penney for having a lesbian spokesperson, even though her sexuality is never mentioned or referenced once in ads. They’re losing sales all over the place just because they hired a gay person. Where’s the Christian morality in that?

Also, I’m not going to get in a discussion on economic policy in this thread. Save it for a thread on economics. Though I will say I’d rather the money go to entitlements than go to outsourcers 🤷.

Well I’m even more disgusted now, some of the boycotters are calling for doing to Barilla what was done to Santorums good name.

They really are evil. They don’t even see that they have become that which they claim to fight against.

Well I’m even more disgusted now, some of the boycotters are calling for doing to Barilla what was done to Santorums good name.

They really are evil.
Yes, they are. And yes, there really is an evil agenda that goes well beyond “acceptance”. Like the people of Sodom, it it not enough to be left alone. The same Satan is pushing for an increase in homosexuality among others.

She was. There were some local ads that included gay families, but as far as Ellen’s role was, it was entirely to advertise JC Penney as a famous woman, sexuality notwithstanding. I was not attempting to compare the two situations; I was asking if you agreed with the (mostly Protestant) boycott of JC Penney for having a lesbian spokesperson, even though her sexuality is never mentioned or referenced once in ads. They’re losing sales all over the place just because they hired a gay person. Where’s the Christian morality in that?

Also, I’m not going to get in a discussion on economic policy in this thread. Save it for a thread on economics. Though I will say I’d rather the money go to entitlements than go to outsourcers 🤷.
The failure of JC Penny is not due to hiring Ellen Degeneress to do a few commercials.

The failure of JC Penney is/was due to a complete restructuring of the stores to mirror the business model of Apple Computers. Instead if testing the new concept (no more coupons, no more sales, changing the layout of the stores) in a few target markets, the change was implemented across the board in all stores.

They did not take into consideration the wants, needs and practices of their actual costumers, at the same time tried to attract a new type of customer,

Ellen Degeneress had really very little or anything to due with its demise. Her talk show has been on for years, and is fairly popular.

forbes.com/sites/marketshare/2012/06/15/jc-penneys-epic-rebranding-fail/

business.time.com/2013/04/09/the-5-big-mistakes-that-led-to-ron-johnsons-ouster-at-jc-penney/

The failure of JC Penny is not due to hiring Ellen Degeneress to do a few commercials.

The failure of JC Penney is/was due to a complete restructuring of the stores to mirror the business model of Apple Computers. Instead if testing the new concept (no more coupons, no more sales, changing the layout of the stores) in a few target markets, the change was implemented across the board in all stores.

They did not take into consideration the wants, needs and practices of their actual costumers, at the same time tried to attract a new type of customer,

Ellen Degeneress had really very little or anything to due with its demise. Her talk show has been on for years, and is fairly popular.

forbes.com/sites/marketshare/2012/06/15/jc-penneys-epic-rebranding-fail/

business.time.com/2013/04/09/the-5-big-mistakes-that-led-to-ron-johnsons-ouster-at-jc-penney/
christianpost.com/news/one-million-moms-moving-on-from-jc-penney-ellen-degeneres-protest-86178/
“We’re not taking action, we’re moving on. We’ve already contacted the company,” Cole explained, who noted that OMM does not have any objections to the content of the new JC Penney ad, but that it was simply DeGeneres’ appearance that was at issue.

Why are people so disappointed in him? All he did was apologise. Doesn’t mean any of them gay homo families are going to be in their adverts.

I now go to Chick Fil A more now because of their stance to uphold the true definition of marriage. Whenever I go there, there is always a long line in the drive thru, and a good number of people inside. I now will buy more barilla pasta. I just hope they do not give in by some people boycotting. There should be a worldwide barilla pasta appreciation day, like there was with Chick Fil A last year. Thank you Barilla Pasta for standing up for the true definition of marriage, you have my support and I’m sure a lot of support from the people on this forum!!
This response along with 99% of the others responses, truly reflect what is wrong with us Christians. Whatever happened to love being more important than judgement and fighting against perceived enemies. I thought we were to love our enemies, at least that is what both the church and sciptures teach. I am greatly saddened to see Catholics be so hate filled.

Sometime ago, I attened a church where they showed an interesting video. In the video, they stood on the streets of New York asking passersby what words came to mind when they heard the word christian. The answers were things like judgemental, hypocrites… they were well over 1000 interviews before a single person said love. That should give us all reason to pause and think. Maybe you should invite a gay person for dinner. There are many gay celibate priests and Catholics who, living consistently within church teaching, also meet with this horrid type action that you advocate. This does not say, I do not have poersonal opinions about homosexuality but it does say, my opinions are usually not solicited by gay persons and so I will shut up until asked. Rather, I think we should love and welcome all people, just as Christ welcomes us because, we too, are sinners and loved by God. Do we believe we are so superior to gay persons that we can lead a vendetta, or be involved in a campaign against them…hmm, the Kingdom of God we preach is not of this world and surely vehemently hating others and working against them will not encourage them to join the people of God. Who wants to join us when we are so unloving? Just maybe Christ was right when he commanded us to love - a concept lost on so many of us so called believers.

When I read all the replies to this post, I cried and went to the bathroom to vomit as it broke my heart to see how far we all need to come so that people can say, “We know they are christians by there love…”

This response truly reflects what is wrong with us Christians. Whatever happened to love being more important than judgement and fighting against perceived enemies. I thought we were to love our enemies, at least that is what both the church and sciptures teach.

Sometime ago, I attened a church where they showed an interesting video. In the video, they stood on the streets of New York asking passersby what words came to mind when they heard the word christian. The answers were things like judgemental, hypocrites… they were well over 1000 interviews before a single person said love. That should give us all reason to think. Maybe you should invite a gay person for dinner. There are many gay celibate priests and Catholics who, living consistently with church teaching, also meet with this horrid type action that you advocate. This does not say, I do not have poersonal opinions about homosexuals but it does say, my opinions are usually not solicited by gay persons and so I will shut up until asked. Rather, I think we should love and welcome all people, just as Christ welcomes us because, we too, are sinners and loved by God. Do we believe we are so superior to gay persons that we can lead a vendetta, or be involved in a campaign against them…hmm, the Kingdom of God we preach is not of this world and surely vehemently hating others and working against them will not encourage them to join the people of God. Who wants to join us when we are so unloving? Just maybe Christ was right when he commanded us to love - a concept lost on so many of us so called believers.
Beautifully said.

I believe we are all the same distance from God. And God wants all of his children home. Some may begin their journey earlier than others. Some may not see his light until the last stages of life. Some may never get there. But, we are all sinners and he Loves all of US. Every soul can be saved.

This response along with 99% of the others responses, truly reflect what is wrong with us Christians. Whatever happened to love being more important than judgement and fighting against perceived enemies. I thought we were to love our enemies, at least that is what both the church and sciptures teach. I am greatly saddened to see Catholics be so hate filled.

Sometime ago, I attened a church where they showed an interesting video. In the video, they stood on the streets of New York asking passersby what words came to mind when they heard the word christian. The answers were things like judgemental, hypocrites… they were well over 1000 interviews before a single person said love. That should give us all reason to pause and think. Maybe you should invite a gay person for dinner. There are many gay celibate priests and Catholics who, living consistently within church teaching, also meet with this horrid type action that you advocate. This does not say, I do not have poersonal opinions about homosexuality but it does say, my opinions are usually not solicited by gay persons and so I will shut up until asked. Rather, I think we should love and welcome all people, just as Christ welcomes us because, we too, are sinners and loved by God. Do we believe we are so superior to gay persons that we can lead a vendetta, or be involved in a campaign against them…hmm, the Kingdom of God we preach is not of this world and surely vehemently hating others and working against them will not encourage them to join the people of God. Who wants to join us when we are so unloving? Just maybe Christ was right when he commanded us to love - a concept lost on so many of us so called believers.

When I read all the replies to this post, I cried and went to the bathroom to vomit as it broke my heart to see how far we all need to come so that people can say, “We know they are christians by there love…”
Gosh, I’m not even sure where to begin here. You have a distorted view of love.

Love more important than judgement? It is loving to try and correct error and lead people to truth. Love is not supporting people in sinful actions that are against the natural created order, nor is it loving to show children advertising that normalizes immorality as if it’s ok.

What vendetta or campaign against “gays” so you think is being advocated here? Because the only thing Barilla said was that they would not portray “gay” couples in advertising. As a Catholic, this should be a good thing to you, since we should not be modeling behavior that is intrinsically disordered as the CCC refers to same sex relationships.

Love never expresses itself through sin. It is not an act of love to affirm peoples sinful behavior

Love more important than judgement? It is loving to try and correct error and lead people to truth. Love is not supporting people in sinful actions that are against the natural created order, nor is it loving to show children advertising that normalizes immorality as if it’s ok.

What vendetta or campaign against “gays” so you think is being advocated here? Because the only thing Barilla said was that they would not portray “gay” couples in advertising. As a Catholic, this should be a good thing to you, since we should not be modeling behavior that is intrinsically disordered as the CCC refers to same sex relationships.
I am sure you do not know where to begin. Love is more important (1Cor.13) than judgement of others. This does not imply making a judgement is not important or that spiritual discernemtn is not important. Nor do I say, we have no responsibility to lead others to truth…but on that topic, transformation of the human soulis the work of the Holy Spirit and a gift of grace not dependent upon us. Also, no where do I say support people in sinful actions…a dinner invitation is very different as is loving people as they are and not how we think they should be. Nor did I once say Barilla did not have a right to do as they chose. My comments were directed at the people of God - if you reread most of the comments on this thread, you will see the unloving nature and tone.

Today, we seldom see large scale conversions like the conversion of Steven’s whole family or the conversion of whole native tribes. The process of conversion seems to be an individual process. When we see the tax collector - he is attracted by the love and welcoming nature of christ. Seldom does debate, arguing, or campaigns result in the conversion of people. it is the love they receive that moves a soul. I say, if a gay person asks your opinion, provide it when solicited. In other words, try to remain silent and love them when your views are not solicited. Love has little to do with our views/opinions, it is a state of being we are called to and is not negotiable in our faith. As I view the present pope, I think many of his comments underscore the need for us to love and reach out rather than judge others.

I am so sorry you have totally misunderstood my comments…maybe the emotion of the the topic of homosexuality is so emotional for you that you were unable to read the message or your hatred for any sin has blinded you to the need to love all, even the homosexuals.

Peace…I love you… please let me know if I have hurt you as this is not my goal

Love never expresses itself through sin. It is not an act of love to affirm peoples sinful behavior
I completely agree with both of your posts. I really don’t think I can add anything but I just wanted to give both of you two thumbs up:

👍👍

I am sure you do not know where to begin. Love is more important (1Cor.13) than judgement of others. This does not imply making a judgement is not important or that spiritual discernemtn is not important. Nor do I say, we have no responsibility to lead others to truth…but on that topic, transformation of the human soulis the work of the Holy Spirit and a gift of grace not dependent upon us. Also, no where do I say support people in sinful actions…a dinner invitation is very different as is loving people as they are and not how we think they should be. Nor did I once say Barilla did not have a right to do as they chose. My comments were directed at the people of God - if you reread most of the comments on this thread, you will see the unloving nature and tone.

Today, we seldom see large scale conversions like the conversion of Steven’s whole family or the conversion of whole native tribes. The process of conversion seems to be an individual process. When we see the tax collector - he is attracted by the love and welcoming nature of christ. Seldom does debate, arguing, or campaigns result in the conversion of people. it is the love they receive that moves a soul. I say, if a gay person asks your opinion, provide it when solicited. In other words, try to remain silent and love them when your views are not solicited. Love has little to do with our views/opinions, it is a state of being we are called to and is not negotiable in our faith. As I view the present pope, I think many of his comments underscore the need for us to love and reach out rather than judge others.

I am so sorry you have totally misunderstood my comments…maybe the emotion of the the topic of homosexuality is so emotional for you that you were unable to read the message or your hatred for any sin has blinded you to the need to love all, even the homosexuals.

Your continual insults of people who agree with Church teaching and don’t approve of normalizing gay relationships by encouraging active homosexuality are very hurtful and judgmental.

How is affirming grievous sin an act of love?

I must ask if any of the posters have reached out to gay persons without sharing their opinions. Have you loved them, invited them places, welcomed them into your homes. It is easy to judge but very hard to love, especially when we plant a seed of faith in love…it might just be another who leads them to make deeper changes. Loving others prepares the soil…but often we may never get to have a moral discussion…maybe this is for another God has gifted.

For instance we can all love a drug addicts and the like…but maybe another Christian may help them to defeat drugs.

When we judge…we must also be willing to ask if we have loved…these are real actions devoid of discussions about the other person’s sins.

How is affirming grievous sin an act of love?
How right you are. Affirming sin is not love, it never is love and never can be love.

When Christ ate dinner with the tax collector…was this affirming sin…no it was nnot affirming sim…it was being loving.

All people have a need for love, even homosexuals. Invite one for dinner, love them include them…this does not mean you advocate their lifestyle. Maybe if you love them a day will open up where you can share your faith and views…interesting concept this love thing.

I must ask if any of the posters have reached out to gay persons without sharing their opinions. Have you loved them, invited them places, welcomed them into your homes. It is easy to judge but very hard to love, especially when we plant a seed of faith in love…it might just be another who leads them to make deeper changes. Loving others prepares the soil…but often we may never get to have a moral discussion…maybe this is for another God has gifted.

For instance we can all love a drug addicts and the like…but maybe another Christian may help them to defeat drugs.

When we judge…we must also be willing to ask if we have loved…these are real actions devoid of discussions about the other person’s sins.
Of course, many of us have. That’s what makes your posts so foul.

Why does it matter to this thread what my interactions with homosexuals has been? Again how is affirming sinful behavior an act of love? Do you think Barrilla should make advertisements with homosexual “married” couples? How would that advance the faith?

WhenI went to The catholic School of Evangelism… we travelled over to the Brownville Outpouring. The minister was vehemently anti-homosexual, even advocated the death penalty.

Outside the homosexual community was protesting

Our Leader, Charlie OsBourne, instructed us to leave…hate should never be mixed with the gospel. We were told to serve coffee and hot chocolate to gays and not to provide our opinions, just love them.

You know, many did attend church later and in time there were many changed lives…Oh, the power of Love… it is a sword as scripture claims.

Changed lives are the result of love…and what is love? God is love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back