If her dad owns a shotgun

  • Thread starter Thread starter BadTurkey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of, I do own a sword. I open bottles of beer and sometimes letters with it.
 
it’s not acceptable to point a weapon at someone who doesn’t perfectly well realise that the weapon isn’t loaded.
For the record, it’s never acceptable to point a weapon at anyone EVER, even if everyone knows that it’s not loaded. As a little girl, my grandmother was shot through both knees by teenage brothers playing with a gun that everyone believed to be unloaded. (These were country kids who knew guns inside and out.) You can never be 100% sure–with guns, you are always playing Russian roulette.
 
I’ve got one son and four daughters. I fully intent to be in the living room with my son cleaning shotguns when the boys come calling 😃
 
For the record, it’s never acceptable to point a weapon at anyone EVER, even if everyone knows that it’s not loaded.
It better to say that you should treat every gun as if it’s loaded and ready to go off. Because sometimes it’s necessary to point a gun at a person.
 
It better to say that you should treat every gun as if it’s loaded and ready to go off. Because sometimes it’s necessary to point a gun at a person.
Let’s hope though, that you’ve raised your daughters well enough to not bring home someone you’d need to point a gun at!! 😃
 
It better to say that you should treat every gun as if it’s loaded and ready to go off. Because sometimes it’s necessary to point a gun at a person.
Yes, though hearing, “Sir, I would like to date your daughter,” is not one of those situations. 😃
I’ve got one son and four daughters. I fully intent to be in the living room with my son cleaning shotguns when the boys come calling 😃
That’s not the same as pointing it at them! Hmm… Now that you say, I’m probably going to keep law books or attorney gown clearly visible for the same effect (here, attorneys were togues just like judges, except there frill’s a different colour) when I earn one. 😃
For the record, it’s never acceptable to point a weapon at anyone EVER, even if everyone knows that it’s not loaded. As a little girl, my grandmother was shot through both knees by teenage brothers playing with a gun that everyone believed to be unloaded. (These were country kids who knew guns inside and out.) You can never be 100% sure–with guns, you are always playing Russian roulette.
Yeah, that’s true. I didn’t go far enough. Same goes for melee stuff, spoons included. I’ve heard stories.
 
I’ve got one son and four daughters. I fully intent to be in the living room with my son cleaning shotguns when the boys come calling 😃
You sir, (I assume your gender due to your screen name)

Are a wonderful dad! 👍

I would prefer just to leave my gun collection is the open when my future daughter (I have no children) brings home her boyfriend…
 
*This thread makes me sad. I hope no one pulls out a gun to scare my son when he picks a girl up… 😦 I have a daughter, and I (and she) would be mortified if my husband/her dad had guns purposely laying out all over the place to scare the guy picking her up, either. Yikes! *
 
*This thread makes me sad. I hope no one pulls out a gun to scare my son when he picks a girl up… 😦 I have a daughter, and I (and she) would be mortified if my husband/her dad had guns purposely laying out all over the place to scare the guy picking her up, either. Yikes! *
I think it might be a daddy-daughter thing. Maybe the whole instinct that says, “We need to protect”.
 
I think it might be a daddy-daughter thing. Maybe the whole instinct that says, “We need to protect”.
Yeah, and knowing the dad is a tough guy that doesn’t play games can be highly motivational in some cases for a teenage boy. Plus, a boy thinking, “I don’t want to confront her dad,” and not doing it is better than the boy doing it. Just can’t justify pointing guns at people, especially at youngsters, or opening the door with a gun right in hand. *Cleaning *the guns, showing off trophies, displaying military souvenirs, that’s a different thing. A demonstration of protective strength is not yet a threat and insult.
 
*This thread makes me sad. I hope no one pulls out a gun to scare my son when he picks a girl up… 😦 I have a daughter, and I (and she) would be mortified if my husband/her dad had guns purposely laying out all over the place to scare the guy picking her up, either. Yikes! *
Here, here, Shar! What was all your raising him the right way for then, huh? You should of just let him run rugged and learn to protect himself off the street. Just pray and hope he finds in-laws like you and your dh. Its hard to find a quality gentleman nowadays.
 
Sorry pro-gun Catholics in this thread, but your rationale is very unchristian and inappropriate. Not buying it! Guns kill, period. It is one thing to hunt your prey or you live on a farm too distant to help, but mistakes(as was mentioned already by AugustSans about her grandmother)[Dick Cheney situation], and friendly fire happen with guns.

Im not pro gun and I am not anti gun. I cant live in my own little great haven bubble to deny that we do not need that kind of protection. I want authorized police and security to have a gun, they better carry it for all peoples consideration and use it as appropriately as they have been trained to do so. If I sit next to a US Marshal on the plane, s/he better be packin heat.

If you are all pro-life, and gung ho about threatening people before giving them a chance, you will always be pointing the gun, you are always going to be the one wanting the control and command over your daughter then. She ain’t fit for marriage, you keep her! Our home had one rascal of a sibling in it, if he knew where that thing was, we would have had really interesting decorations all over the walls, not to mention our thighs.

Id rather date a guy who wants to go to the golf range over the shooting range anyday.
 
Id rather date a guy who wants to go to the golf range over the shooting range anyday.
And since we are practically neighbors (from what you posted in another thread), I was thinking of publicly asking you here for a date to the range with me (there is one about a block and a half from my house), and give you a FOID car as a Christmas present. 😃 😃
 
Yeah, and knowing the dad is a tough guy that doesn’t play games can be highly motivational in some cases for a teenage boy. Plus, a boy thinking, “I don’t want to confront her dad,” and not doing it is better than the boy doing it. Just can’t justify pointing guns at people, especially at youngsters, or opening the door with a gun right in hand. *Cleaning *the guns, showing off trophies, displaying military souvenirs, that’s a different thing. A demonstration of protective strength is not yet a threat and insult.
+1

And from my last dating experience, I could see myself - while holding the shotgun - asking the boy “so, have you thought of entering the seminary?”. Whatevergirl knows the reference, but it could have an unintended sde effetct of seeing a HUGE increase or ordinations to the diocesan presthood in Chicago. Hmm…if that’s the case, maybe I can get the archdiocese to subsidize the ammo?
 
Here, here, Shar! What was all your raising him the right way for then, huh? You should of just let him run rugged and learn to protect himself off the street. Just pray and hope he finds in-laws like you and your dh. Its hard to find a quality gentleman nowadays.
*Aw…How funny that you call me Shar…only my sister called me that growing up. ⭕)

You know, we are intending to buy a gun for protection, at my husband’s request (he has been suggesting this for years and I think I finally understand that owning a gun for protection isn’t a bad idea) But, I would be embarrassed if he pulled it out to intimidate one of dd’s dates, (when she begins dating someday, which won’t be until she’s 30, and we unlock her out of her room KIDDING!)

I grew up in a VERY CONSERVATIVE CATHOLIC ITALIAN family. I get the whole idea. But, still…lol

Raise your boys and girls right, and no weapons will be necessary! :D*
 
hey I have been reading these replies, chuckling. I seriously wouldn’t be concerned. between my husband and I we own a small arsenal and many shotguns–
  1. is he a sportsman? does he hunt or trap shoot? it’s a hobby like fishing, would you be concerned if he had a fishing pole?
  2. a shot gun is one of the better guns to get shot with IMHO. especially if you are far away. lol, still I wouldn’t be too worried.
if he is a law abding country boy, just be a gentleman with his daughter and play by his rules and there should be no problems.

you should ask him to teach you how to shoot skeet, it’s a blast! and you don’t need any liscences, safety courses, or have any guts to deal with! and you and him can BOND which can be a really good way to put your minds at ease about each other and maybe make you and the girl a little closer too. 👍
 
I think it might be a daddy-daughter thing. Maybe the whole instinct that says, “We need to protect”.
It’s that “need to protect” that I admire in men/fathers. I believe that’s innate and God-given. There’s a saying, “The most dangerous place in the world is between a mother & her child”, so if a man has an innate need to protect those he views as more vulnerable than he, I can only imagine how much more dangerous that place becomes. Even the Scripture talks about “Fear of the Lord”. Fear is not a bad thing. It helps protect us.
How many boys (& girls) are living w/o a father in their home? Far too many, that’s for sure.
I’m not advocating necessarily showing a gun to the boy or answering the door with it, as that seems a little over the top, but just knowing the father has a gun sparks a certain, and dare I say, healthy state of fear. It’s not that he would do something, it’s that he could do something. It’s the same reason my membership to “Anytime Fitness” is really a membership to "Daytime/Early Evening Fitness” 😃
It’s not necessarily b/c I think when I happen to glance up during my exercise-induced haze and see only males around me, that I’m literally scared of what they will do, only what they could do or just of what they are capable of doing. My point is just that hopefully my being aware will help me stay out of any trouble. Same applies to dating.
Sorry pro-gun Catholics in this thread, but your rationale is very unchristian and inappropriate. Not buying it! Guns kill, period…
I completely & respectfully disagree. I know several guns that have never killed anyone. Having said that, however; if you’re a criminal and you break into my house, be prepared to take the bullet. It’s called a “consequence”, thus a “healthy respect” for people’s families & property is likely to follow, and hopefully you’ll think again should you be tempted to continue making poor choices. Again, same logic applies to dating. If the boy hurts the girl would the father actually shoot him? Who knows?! That’s the point.
He should respect the girl. Respect her father. Respect her father’s right to protect his daughter, and he should expect only bad things if he chooses not to. 😉
 
*Aw…How funny that you call me Shar…only my sister called me that growing up. ⭕)

You know, we are intending to buy a gun for protection, at my husband’s request (he has been suggesting this for years and I think I finally understand that owning a gun for protection isn’t a bad idea) But, I would be embarrassed if he pulled it out to intimidate one of dd’s dates, (when she begins dating someday, which won’t be until she’s 30, and we unlock her out of her room KIDDING!)

I grew up in a VERY CONSERVATIVE CATHOLIC ITALIAN family. I get the whole idea. But, still…lol

Raise your boys and girls right, and no weapons will be necessary! :D*
Sorry I have to call people by a one syllable nickname, it’s more like Cher not SH-ARGH…, lol, I think I do that out of convenience, coolness, or laziness. Not sure which. I do that with everybody.

I grew up in a multi political Italian family, primarily because they had heavy accents and wanted the same opportunity for work and jobs as anyone with a standard American English vernacular accent. Some were too overly stern, I have a lot of relatives that were like the Frank & Marie characters from the show, “Everybody loves Raymond.” Now that could be more embarrassing over the gun. A gun all in fun, or over stuffy relatives who literally think they are gods gift to society(Im great, Im rich, Im brilliant, [outright braggarts])?

I suppose I was more fearful of my fathers verbal threats than guns, because he said it right at you, and you could tell by the look in his eyes that he meant business. I never really got punished or spanked, my parents always said that stuff never worked on us.

I completely agree with that last line!! KUDOS!! You are as hardcore mamma italiana as it gets! Brava!
 
Sorry pro-gun Catholics in this thread, but your rationale is very unchristian and inappropriate. Not buying it! Guns kill, period.
Automobile accidents are the number one killer of children over the age of one. Should we not drive either, then, because automobiles can kill?
Id rather date a guy who wants to go to the golf range over the shooting range anyday.
I thought so too till I met my husband. I never anticipated having a guy who liked guns.

Anyway, I went to the range the first time myself yesterday and had a blast! (Pun intended)

I really enjoyed myself. My DH also commented that I was a better aim after one day there than he is after several years’ worth of practice…he told a friend: “You wouldn’t want to be the guy breaking into HER home!” 😉

I consider it a hobby. And I honestly am looking forward to going back. It’s something I know DH enjoys and he loves sharing it with me.
 
OK, Im a great artist, but never in a million years could I imagine drawing Christ with weapons. Get it? THAT is what is meant by being christian, and how we are to follow him, of course we are human, and having a gun somewhere may relieve or quell some anxiety, but it goes against Christian teaching. Screw the right to bear arms, this is not a political site.

I was scared that someone was out to get me or my family because someone shot out a glass block on one of our buildings, but then I found out it was my own brother “having fun”…, oh how I wanted to ring his neck! To this day we still haven’t replaced the glass block window.

The closest I got to a gun was a cap gun I had to load for a theater show every night. I hated it everytime, the caps looked like the sixth of the size of a real bullet. Wow, the blast from that thing. Ouch!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top