I have been having a dialogue with a friend, who said that she wouldn’t care if a man didn’t give her dd (who is roughly my dd’s age–12 y.o.) a ring, in asking her to marry him. She didn’t have a ring for years, because they were just starting out (aren’t we all?), and her husband waited for a while to ‘surprise’ her with one, after being married for several years.
While I don’t think marriage is about ‘the ring,’ or the wedding, or any of the trimmings that come with the excitement of engagements and marriages–I do think that it shows some effort on the future groom’s part to sacrifice some money, for a ring. Each individual couple deals with this differently, I’m sure. But, one doesn’t have to spend oodles to find a good buy on a diamond…or gemstone ring. There are also claddah rings now, that are considered ‘commitment’ rings, and are becoming more and more popular, because of their price.
My friend said that they were going to use the money on a downpayment on a home. (this is what she and her husband did) I answered…so, if he spent $1000, that would have caused you not to get the house?
I am not a material girl (well, I’m reformed…I admit, I grew up in a very material home…but thankfully, I look past all of that now) but I still think it shows effort on the part of the man, to buy his fiancee a ring. That’s just me. Again, doesn’t have to be a rock, but I think the couple should manage something. I think that it’s very easy to get caught up in the ads that a man ‘needs to spend 2 or 3 months salary on the ring,’ but no, I don’t agree. It should be something that the couple discusses…and comes to agreement with.
Even if it’s a simple gold band…something to symolize the engagement. That’s just me though.
Then, I got to thinking…when did this whole wedding ring business begin?

Anyone know?
I look forward to your opinions.