Is a ring important when a man proposes marriage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to the original question, no. We decided to have only the wedding bands which is all that you need.
Well, you don’t really need a band either. My maternal Grandparents married without any rings. My Grandma eventually had a mothers ring with the birthstones of her 5 kids. I don’t know how she felt about it but I’ve always felt a little bad about it.

So for me an engagement ring is important…for the reasons others have mentioned upthread.
 
I think a ring is important when a man proposes marriage, but it doesn’t have to be a diamond, for me anyway. Actually, I’d prefer it wasn’t a diamond - not for the cruelty factor, although that isn’t appealing, but because I just don’t wear gold and diamonds.

I like that a ring is an outward sign of the man’s emotions, and more importantly his intentions. A ring says, I’m not afraid or unwilling to do this right. A ring says, this woman is worth the time and effort of buying something that I know will make her happy. (If it’s expensive, then she’s also worth the amount of work that went into earning the money for the ring.) (and no, I don’t mean that you can put a monetary value on a woman.)

I also like that a ring is a symbol that a man or woman is “taken”. Yes, it’s like marking your property. However, I want other women to take note that my fiance or husband is mine, and I want men to realize that I’m not up for grabs either (figuratively or literally).

For me personally, it doesn’t have to be an expensive ring. I love silver, so I would be perfectly happy with a silver band, unadorned. My boyfriend doesn’t make much money, and he supports his grandmother and supplements the income of family members back in the Philippines, so although I want to know that I’m “worth” buying a ring for, I don’t want to take food out of the mouths of his family.
 
It’s up to the girl. If she doesn’t want one, great. If fiance decides against it on her behalf or doesn’t respect the fact that she wants one, red flag.
A red flag indeed. Basically, a ring is a parallel reflection using symbolism of the rest of the marriage. The girl decides and if the man doesn’t do as she says, then he won’t do as she says in marriage either. If he does do as she says, then there’s hope for their upcomming marriage. 😉
 
I think the ring is important. It’s important for the man to demonstrate a willingness to sacrifice for his fiancee, and it help her remember how highly she is prized.
This theme keeps coming up–sacrifice. I’m not sure why buying the ring should be a financial “sacrifice” for the man. My engagement ring was quite possibly the least expensive ring in the store (I picked it out). I’m not into big diamonds, or big rings; that’s just not my style. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but it just feels wasteful to me to spend so much money on jewelry. I know my husband adores me–he shows me in so many ways; expensive jewelry just isn’t one of them.

Of course, we may be just a bit different than other couples. Neither of us can wear our rings at work. DH hasn’t worn his ring in years. Doesn’t faze me a bit. I do have a plain gold band from Wal-mart that I wear all the time. The engagement ring/wedding ring stays home most of the time.

Of course, I’m with the other book lovers–if DH had proposed with a gift card to Barnes and Noble, that’s a whole 'nother story.😃
 
From what I have seen, most of the rocks on young ladies left hands do not mean that her Groom to be saved and spent his money on her - it means he passed a credit check at Zales and can afford $50 per month.
Or perhaps, like mine, it was a family piece.
 
Of course, I’m with the other book lovers–if DH had proposed with a gift card to Barnes and Noble, that’s a whole 'nother story.😃

I use multi-million dollar satellites to look for tupperware in the woods.
Yes, any first edition Dickens would have done for me.😃

BTW, your sig… I just found my 300th yesterday.
 
It’s good to remember the ring is a custom, it’s not a moral obligation. But it’s also good to remember that customs are there for a reason and that it’s not good to be cheap.

I suppose 2-3 months salary can be done, but I very well understand that people might feel bad about spending that kind of money on jewelry. Especially if it would be a matter of conforming to a custom rather than actually showing commitment to the fiancee. It will also often make the engagement ring more expensive and somewhat apparently more important than the wedding band. I think that’s not so great since the wedding band should take precedence before the wedding ring.

I’ll worry more when I get to that point myself, though. 😉
 
Yeah know one thing that I am suprised that I have heard more about … I don’t think it’s the ring that means as much as how he proposes.
 
Getting down on one knee? Asking the father? 😉

As conservative as I am, that’s not going to happen.
 
I think it is important - an engagement ring has many purposes
  1. It shows you plan to marry
  2. It shows you are of limits to other potential suitors
  3. It acts as a reminder of your love and commitment
  4. It looks pretty - (Im a girl I like pretty!)
  5. Wearing it prooves to the world that this is for keeps!
I love my ring, its simple white gold and (ethically sourced) diamonds!
 
I think it is important - an engagement ring has many purposes
  1. It shows you plan to marry
  2. It shows you are of limits to other potential suitors
  3. It acts as a reminder of your love and commitment
  4. It looks pretty - (Im a girl I like pretty!)
  5. Wearing it prooves to the world that this is for keeps!
I love my ring, its simple white gold and (ethically sourced) diamonds!
I agree with you. I love pretty, too–that’s cute!😃

On number 5…I have known quite a few friends of mine, and family…who had rocks…and their marriages didn’t last. I think there was a time when it all meant it was for keeps though!! Our modern society seems to treat everything in such a disposable way now.😦
 
Mine was down on both knees. It was a pretty amazing gesture. Either that or it was so I couldn’t run screaming from the room. 😉 I think it is interesting that a man doesn’t wear an engagement ring only a wedding one though - can someone explain that:shrug: God Bless.
 
I don’t like that gesture on many levels. Marriage is two equals deciding together. It is surely a great expression of trust, as well as a loan of confidence, but the same is true on both sides. The kneeling distorts this picture by making it look like marriage is some form of the man’s application to which the woman consents, and it also puts a lot of pressure on the woman herself since it’s a different thing to decline an offer than to throw away a supplicant. In this case, this defeats my powerful inclination to cling to obsolete customs. 😛
Mine was down on both knees. It was a pretty amazing gesture. Either that or it was so I couldn’t run screaming from the room. 😉 I think it is interesting that a man doesn’t wear an engagement ring only a wedding one though - can someone explain that:shrug: God Bless.
It marked her as his. He wasn’t similarly marked - note that at least in some cultures men initially didn’t even wear wedding rings. Obviously, there was all the symbolics of her being so precious to him, as well, which was different from his point of view than from hers. His job was to cherish her, hers to honour him. Not like he wouldn’t honour her or she cherish him, but the focus was different for each of them. There was no reason for her to give him an expensive token of that kind, since he was the provider, not she. Men had much more opportunity to earn money than women did. Regardless of this fact, if she had the assets and the freedom to dispose of them as she wished, she had most likely already given her beloved a number of precious gifts (including rings) before the moment of engagement, anyway, if she cared for him. In such a situation, money, at least a single ring’s worth, was a secondary issue.
 
That’s an interesting point, Chevalier. Of course, I like the idea of my boyfriend proposing on one knee, but I’m not sure if he’ll do it. In fact, I kind of suspect he won’t - the jewelry he has given me has mostly been pressed into my hand as a surprise while I’ve been doing something else, usually when I’ve been busy enough that I can’t even look at it right away.

I think kneeling during the proposal hearkens back to a time when women had few opportunities to choose anything. She went from obeying her father to obeying her husband - for a few short days in the middle, she was highly prized and had the right to say no. I suspect that very few men actually got on their knees, but when a man really wanted a woman to know how much he wanted her, getting on his knees was a very powerful gesture indeed.

It’s true that it’s hard to say no to a proposal when it’s done like that, and the woman may feel put on the spot by it. However, a man shouldn’t be proposing if he’s not sure about the answer. It just strikes me as totally unfair to ask her to make a decision when the possibility hasn’t been discussed. My boyfriend first brought up the subject very early - “I’m thinking that you are the woman I’d like to marry, so you’d better start thinking about what you’re going to say if I propose.” I let him know that when he proposes, the answer is going to be yes. It’s just better to give the girl a little warning first, don’t you think?
 
Interesting perspective. My husband got down on one knee…it’s a day I’ll never forget. I have often wondered when the ‘one knee’ proposals began? And carrying women into a new home, or into a hotel room during a honeymoon?

Any marriage/engagement history buffs?😃
 
Just wondering, I suppose it was also an aspect of the courtly culture. That culture was there, together with the knight’s code, but the romanticised tenets were not precisely obeyed even at its peak. There were moments, however, when the customs where more strictly adhered to. There was a time when knights would kneel on one knee to a lady as a measure of extreme respect, but generally that’s something associated with queens or princesses or any other immediate ruling family and perhaps religious superiors. One reason hand-kissing looks so awkward these days is that it wasn’t a gesture designed to perform standing. 😉 I suppose in the 19th century, they were perhaps not much farther from actually kneeling down than we are now from kissing hands; it wasn’t as extreme to them as it is to us anyway. Today feudalism is long gone, secular kneeling is absent, this one gesture somehow survives. I don’t have much of a problem with it, but for the reasons I wrote about in the previous post, I wouldn’t do it myself unless perhaps the tradition seemed fitting for some very particular reason. I definitely wouldn’t do it if I didn’t have enough respect for the particular person, but then I wouldn’t be proposing in the first place, so this point is a bit less relevant.

As for ahead preparation, I think if the man is guaranteed a positive answer and the woman is prepared for the question, the actual proposal becomes a ritual gesture. It becomes somehow theatrical, I think. Sure, it’s nice to know ahead, but then why keep the ritual facade (I don’t mean this as a derogatory term) instead of simply talking it over and making arrangements? It looks a bit like the Romans of the late rebublic or early empire, who finalised a transaction in whatever way or currency they normally would and then touched a scale with a bronze coin to make it legitimate in the law of their ancestors (per aes et libram, by bronze and scale, ritual form of purchase from the early republic or even older). Well, whatever works for people is hardly my business, but I don’t feel particularly fond of the idea of people being pressured into it, say, by a woman or in-laws won’t accept the man if he won’t kneel down. Such customs should be followed, or rather revived, and such gesture employed, only if they have some actual meaning to the people involved. But to answer your question, well, the woman should know where things are going for a moment (marriage, not proposal) if she is to answer such questions. Obviously, she doesn’t have to answer immediately. This is just my view, of course, and it doesn’t particularly hurt me if people do things their way.

Whatevergirl, I trust this counts towards your question as well. 😉

By the way, the wikipedia entry is inaccurate. People don’t have to be in a relationship to propose. 😃 Historically, I suppose they rarely were.
 
diamondwholesalecorporation.com/TheHistoryoftheEngagementRing.html
Just don’t know how precisely accurate it is, but I can’t spot any obvious mistakes. By the way:
Subsequent campaigns would convince families to hold on to their diamonds as family heirlooms… and it worked! Used diamonds were not being released back into the industry which in turn created the demand that De Beers were seeking.
Jewelers were *unofficially *educated by De Beers to instruct men that two to three months personal wages were an ideal price to pay for the diamond engagement ring that their prospective fiancée’s would gladly accept.
😛
 
NO!!!

My fiance (we’re getting married Sat, 9-20, hurray!) didn’t have the ring when he proposed to me. It was over a year before we went to visit his family and pick up the heirloom rings that we would have for our engagement and wedding. But all the time I didn’t have the ring yet, I still felt “engaged” and I still honored that commitment.

If the couple doesn’t have the commitment to each other in their hearts, the fanciest/most expensive engagement ring in the world won’t change that. If they are committed to each other, then the ring is just the outer sign for the world to see what the couple knows to be true.

Just my opinion…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top