Is it a sin to smoke weed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Adam1996
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are okay as long as you’re not intoxicated.
If they are intoxicated.
The potency of marijuana today is very high…you are high (intoxicated) after one inhale. But even if you did find a “low potency” form…your intention to get high would still be sinful.
Nonsense…it is a sin and that is what your Church teaches…you need to be obedient.
So if I have 3 beers but don’t intend to get drunk, it’s ok. If I take a few hits of a joint but I don’t intend to get stoned , is that ok?
 
Okay, I *don’t *smoke marijuana, not for a long long time, and I *do not *intend to smoke in the future but I do have an honest question for “Mickey.” 😊 (I have always been sympathetic to pot smokers who are occasional users, and a few times I didn’t mind them smoking in front of me, because as I said in an earlier post, I really do like the smell, God forgive me)

My first joint was at a rock concert; it was Motley Crue opening up for Ozzy Osbourne in '84. It wasn’t even actually a joint, but a roach clip that a friend of mine had in his wallet. We each got about two tokes off of thing, but I didn’t feel what I now know to be “completely high.” I was giggling, slightly buzzed, but that was about it (how I’d routinely feel after, say, a couple glasses of wine).

Now, you have already very generously offered that once upon a time, when you were young, you experienced MJ yourself. Here’s the question: **Is it my imagination, or has pot gotten worse in the last few decades (*worse *as in more potent–too potent).

The last time I smoked pot was on a camping trip when I was in my late 20’s (29). After the first toke, I was floored. Absolutely floored. I was instantly transported into the “tunnel vision” effect. That had never happened to me before. So I found out my friend had given me “hydro,” which of course is hydroponic marijuana. When I was in my late teens/ early twenties, I mostly got my pot from guys who grew it themselves in their basement.

Does this make a difference? I know it probably doesn’t, but that experience primarily kept me from ever seeking out pot again–the simple realization that I didn’t know where the stuff was coming from, and it seemed that unless you “grew your own” you were really taking your life in your hands. I think I’ve always had this hope that, sometime when I’m in my 70’s I could get some seeds and miracle grow, etc.

I’m rationalizing, aren’t I. I can just remember a time when I smoked “regular” pot, passed the doob around, and everyone just had a buzz instead of instant lobotomy. It seemed so much more innocent then. 😦
 
I’m rationalizing, aren’t I. I can just remember a time when I smoked “regular” pot, passed the doob around, and everyone just had a buzz instead of instant lobotomy. It seemed so much more innocent then. 😦
The intention is to get high…that is the only intention when smoking pot (except in the rare case of a medical purpose like marinol). But there are health concerns also:

Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute. Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users’ risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking.

Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers typically inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer, when smoking.

Because marijuana smoke contains three times the amount of tar found in tobacco smoke and 50 percent more carcinogens, it would seem logical to deduce that there is an increased risk of lung cancer for marijuana smokers.

Research indicates that THC impairs the body’s immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems.

The body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Smoking pot is not a good idea. I encourage anyone with the habit to quit, seek confession, and never smoke again.
 
Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute. Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users’ risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking.

Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers typically inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer, when smoking.

Because marijuana smoke contains three times the amount of tar found in tobacco smoke and 50 percent more carcinogens, it would seem logical to deduce that there is an increased risk of lung cancer for marijuana smokers.

Research indicates that THC impairs the body’s immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems.
.
That’s what I thought. In a way it was always connected for me. I started smoking cigarettes to keep from smoking pot, as you couldn’t do that in public, but as I said earlier, cigarettes were the hardest thing I ever quit, far more harder than pot. I really wouldn’t go back to smoking either, as it took me 24 years before I quit, praise God. It’s the daily temptation that I ask God to deliver me from. Pray for me.
 
That’s what I thought. In a way it was always connected for me. I started smoking cigarettes to keep from smoking pot, as you couldn’t do that in public, but as I said earlier, cigarettes were the hardest thing I ever quit, far more harder than pot. I really wouldn’t go back to smoking either, as it took me 24 years before I quit, praise God. It’s the daily temptation that I ask God to deliver me from. Pray for me.
I hear ya brother. I smoked cigarettes for 27 years. It was the hardest thing I ever tried to do also. I tried hundreds of times before it stuck. It has been about six years for me now. I get very few temptations, but I know not to get too cocky…that ol’ demon can return at any time. Please pray for me also. 🙂
 
I hear ya brother. I smoked cigarettes for 27 years. It was the hardest thing I ever tried to do also. I tried hundreds of times before it stuck. It has been about six years for me now. I get very few temptations, but I know not to get too cocky…that ol’ demon can return at any time. Please pray for me also. 🙂
:highprayer: Will do!
 
Doesn’t seem like a hugely complicated issue.
If pot is illegal, it would be sinful to smoke it.
(Yes abortion is also illegal, but that’s different, because murder is objectively evil always and everywhere, smoking pot is not. these are two vastly different issues)

If pot is legal, it would be no different that drinking beer.
Then you have decisions as to degree of abuse or not.
Two beers does not usually qualify as abuse. A marijuana joint smoked may not be abuse either, IF it is legal.
 
I wanted to ask: How are we doing, OP? Any questions?
Well thanks for asking. While I wasn’t exactly planning on a full out debate, I am glad to see that a pries answered. However, seeing all of these things about intoxication; it causes me to wonder: drunkenness is drunkenness right? Isn’t that different for everyone? And drunkenness is different than high, am I correct? I have been somewhat high on Vicodin after a surgery and didnt even realize at the time that it was a commonly abused drug. I personally believe that weed is a much better alternative than heroin or cocain or alcohol or even cigarettes - I think the statistics can back me up in that many more times deaths occur as a result of these substances as opposed to MJ. However one thing I would like to re-ask; is MJ a mortal or venial sin? Since practically everyone I know has tried weed or gotten drunk at one time or another and many are not Catholic/dont confess, would this mean theyre all going to hell??
 
Well thanks for asking. While I wasn’t exactly planning on a full out debate, I am glad to see that a pries answered. However, seeing all of these things about intoxication; it causes me to wonder: drunkenness is drunkenness right? Isn’t that different for everyone? And drunkenness is different than high, am I correct? I have been somewhat high on Vicodin after a surgery and didnt even realize at the time that it was a commonly abused drug. I personally believe that weed is a much better alternative than heroin or cocain or alcohol or even cigarettes - I think the statistics can back me up in that many more times deaths occur as a result of these substances as opposed to MJ. However one thing I would like to re-ask; is MJ a mortal or venial sin? Since practically everyone I know has tried weed or gotten drunk at one time or another and many are not Catholic/dont confess, would this mean theyre all going to hell??
Is marijuana a mortal sin?
No, marijuana is a plant extract.
Coffee is a plant extract.
Beer is yada yada.

If society deems it illegal to use, we are obliged to obey, unless that law violates some objective moral teaching (not the case here).

If it is not illegal, then your conscience comes into play, just like beer.
Are you drinking too much? Only you know. Are you driving a car after drinking, over the limit? That is a sin.

IF pot were legal, why do you smoke it?
How much do you smoke?
How do you behave after smoking it?
Are you flying a jet after smoking it?
All kinds of circumstances are in play, IF it were legal. IF
 
If you have a few hits…you intend to get high…and you will get high. You would need to go to confession.
You skipped the alcohol part. If I have 3 beers but don’t intend to get drunk, am I sinning?
 
Is marijuana a mortal sin?
No, marijuana is a plant extract.
Coffee is a plant extract.
Beer is yada yada.

If society deems it illegal to use, we are obliged to obey, unless that law violates some objective moral teaching (not the case here).

If it is not illegal, then your conscience comes into play, just like beer.
Are you drinking too much? Only you know. Are you driving a car after drinking, over the limit? That is a sin.

IF pot were legal, why do you smoke it?
How much do you smoke?
How do you behave after smoking it?
Are you flying a jet after smoking it?
All kinds of circumstances are in play, IF it were legal. IF
Excellent. There are factors and variables. There are degrees with many things in life.
 
You skipped the alcohol part. If I have 3 beers but don’t intend to get drunk, am I sinning?
When you smoke weed…you get high…that is intoxication. Let he who has ears…hear.

Three beers is 36 oz of alcohol…that is something I am compelled to confess according to my spiritual father. I suppose each person would have to ask his/her confessor. There could be extenuating circumstances such as propensity to alcoholism.
 
However one thing I would like to re-ask; is MJ a mortal or venial sin? Since practically everyone I know has tried weed or gotten drunk at one time or another and many are not Catholic/dont confess, would this mean theyre all going to hell??
Mortal or venial…if you are Catholic or Orthodox…it must be confessed to a priest. Non-Catholics do not confess ANY of their sins to a priest. But we cannot judge somebody to hell. They will ultimately be judged by Christ.
 
Is marijuana smoking sinful? If so, Mortal or Venial? If it’s a sin, why did God create it? Does smoking cannabis become non-sinful if it is legal or for medical purposes(and is legal)? Thanks,
1 Corinthians 6:19

Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself,

Smoking marijuana is sinful and it would be mortal sin as you are defiling the Spirit of God within you. God did not create it. Man made marijuana to alter his mood. Go to confession and pray for strength through God’s Holy Spirit that the desire to smoke marijuana will be removed from you and ask God to replace those desires with the things of Him like His peace, joy and love. May the things of God be your desire.

Peace2u2
 
1 Corinthians 6:19

Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself,

Smoking marijuana is sinful and it would be mortal sin as you are defiling the Spirit of God within you. God did not create it. Man made marijuana to alter his mood. Go to confession and pray for strength through God’s Holy Spirit that the desire to smoke marijuana will be removed from you and ask God to replace those desires with the things of Him like His peace, joy and love. May the things of God be your desire.

Peace2u2
Then drinking beer is a mortal sin also, if you’re going to be consistent about your classification.
We don’t hold that drinking beer is a mortal sin, so it is a leap to say that smoking marijuana is INHERENTLY sinful. Disobeying laws against smoking pot and drinking and driving are a different matter and are sinful.
 
the key is to take a look at the effects of pot as opposed to alcohol or tobacco which are legal.

Marijuana makes us extremely vulnerable quickly. What do I mean by vulnerable? Spiritual Warfare. Im not saying Lucifer invented marijuana or that it’s the drug of the devil, but it is extremely important to be entirely aware of our surroundings. Dont quote me on this as fact, but from experience marijuana can lower awareness. (At other times it increases awareness, I would smoke weed before basketball or weightlifting). Ultimately it can cause issues and it will cause issues if it is abused.

So in regards to the OP i would say no, marijuana is not a sin because:
  1. Marijuana can lower awareness
  2. Lower awareness causes us to be less aware (at times) of the devil who, “prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” Peter 5:8
  3. Therefore, we can be more vulnerable to the devil when we smoke marijuana at times
BUT IS IT A SIN??? (Original Post)
It is a personal matter of conscience. Can you resist the devil if he decides to attack when you’re high? Can you enter into deep prayer with God when you are high? Can you read and open your heart to scripture when you are high? These are things to ask yourself… but i wouldnt test the waters

And people who drink and don’t know their limit need to ask themselves those same questions
 
Then drinking beer is also a sin in your classification, and that is not what the Church teaches.
Intention! Intention! If it is your intention to drink beer and get drunk…it is a sin! The Church teaches this. Some people can get drunk in two or three beers (depending on body weight and food intake). You cannnot smoke weed without the intention of getting high (intoxicated). Do you understand? Ask your priest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top